Sign in to follow this  
dreamkast

Cut/Polish/Wax

Hey guys,

Just wondering what a decent price to get all of the above done. Got quoted $160 from a mate, just wanted to shop around a bit for good places in Auckland.

In before the crowds..

Sam and Christian at Obsessive Car Detailing. I wouldn't bother looking elsewhere once you've seen their work.. And their workshop ;)

• Like 4

If you want a proper job you wont be paying $160 someone else to do it. OCD does not cater to the price sensitive end of the market, although they can sell you the best products and tell you how to use them

• Like 1

Sam from OCD here.

$160 is a great price but I would be questioning the quality. In my eyes it all comes down to your expectation and budget. You might find that the level of quality you get for what you pay your mate is exactly what you are after. Theres a place in the market for every 'level' of cut and polishing and grooming.

To give you an idea I can do a cut polish and wax in 5 hours and make a car look a lot better if I wanted to - but it's not my game. We recently corrected Martins E39 M5 (check project threads on bimmersport). It took approx 1 hour for initial wash down, 2 hours for clay barring and decontamination, 11 hours or so of cutting the paint, another 2 hours of refinement polishing and then probably another 2 hours for final wash down, sealant and wax. You wouldn't catch me spending almost 20 hours on a car and charging $160 :P. On top of that we use three different size machines to polish as many areas as possible, polishes from Germany, waxes from Korea etc etc... But in terms of cost our RRP for that service is $749 (including a full interior and exterior detailing).

My advice would be to really have a good think about what your expectation is. Do you want to improve your car or do you want as close to a show car as possible? Also, if you do the show car route do you have the time, knowledge and resources to properly maintain that finish too?

Sorry for the long post! Feel free to PM me if you have any more specific queries in regards to anything car care related :)

• Like 5

^ Agree in part but for example my car could use a decent cut and I'd hate to stuff it!

Good choice, look forward to seeing the results!

Looks great, got to be happy with that result!

Do it yourself and have some 'quality time' with your car.

Do mine about every 6 months takes about 5-6 hours depending on the quality of my maintenance in between.

Very well said 3pedals! I concur 100%!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Julian Willow

Ah.. Now that I have read your massive post, on a thread so old times have changed, you're a bit upset that you couldn't afford a premium service.

Bummer. I guess that's why it's a 'premium' service'

It's not rocket science to confidently say they are one of, if not the best detailers in Auckland.

I know here at CCS we use them on the Ferraris for that very point. And many others use them on their high end exotics for that point. And I use them on my M3 for that point. I might add, my car was on display under Fluro lighting at the CRC Speedshow and everyone said how mint it looked - it didn't even have a cut done by them. Testament they know how to work a vehicles paint.

Now what were you saying about the price of a premium service in NZ?

Posted Image

Well said, however is not a matter of afford the price - I don't mind to pay reasonable amount of money for good quality job, however this is really to high price for a simple cut polishing and nano-waxing! With those prices in USA and Europe Sam and Christian will fill up for bankruptcy definitely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If only the pricing structure was the same.. I'd have two sets of P Zeros for the price of set I paid here in NZ....

Hello Julian.
Firstly thank you for coming in to see myself and Christian today. It was a pleasure to meet you and I'm sorry we were unable to accomodate your needs at this point in time. Whilst we wouldn't normally engage in this, I would like to point out a few facts so that the other Bimmersport members can stay educated and hear a bit from us too.
When you spoke to Christian you were wanting us to use your products and tell us the technique you would like us to use. While we respect all of our customers requests - what you were asking us to do takes all of the quality out of our control; which would negatively effect our business should you be unhappy with quality due to us not following our process.
To break down the facts about a brand new car detail is as follows.
Step 1) Full wash down of the exterior including wheels, wheel barrels, under guards plus full dry of the vehicle and clean and dry of the door jambs. One hour.
Step 2) Decontamination. Yes, all new cars need decontamination. I have attached photos of a brand new M235i we detailed. You can see all of the Iron contamination reacting from transport. Disgusting I know that new cars come out of the factory like this, but at least we were there to fix it. Following up with a very light clay bar for thoroughness. One hour.
Step 3) Preparation of surface. We mask all exterior plastics and trims and prepare the vehicle. Quarter hour.
Step 4) Machine polish using dual action machines. We use four different size machines, Rupes 21ES, Rupes 15ES, Rupes Mini, Rupes Nano to achieve a perfect finish. All new cars we do, including Rolls Royces and other high end have buffer trails, sanding marks, swirls from the dealership and more. Given in your case on white they are hard to see but I 100% guarantee they are there. Machine polish whole car, single stage. Four hours.
Step 5) Secondary wash down to remove any light dusting, residues from polishing process. Again, not always necessary but we pride ourselves on being thorough. Half hour.
So far. 6 hours 45 minutes. Exterior Only. Of course this excludes any wax, sealants, tyre protectant or interior detailing which we always do as standard to ensure vehicles leave our studio in pristine condition. This process would be at a cost of $549 for a mid sized SUV including the interior. If you consider here labour, product cost, overheads such as power, water, full insurance for your vehicle and our premises and the such - and given if we add on the finals above we are looking at more like 8 hours - I think this is great value. How much does your mechanic charge? $100 per hour excluding materials? At a rate of more like $68 per before expenses for which which I know and consider as just as skilled as a mechanic then it's great value!
If you would like some guidance about our quality I would speak to Jooles C, Martin U, Andy P, Kevin L, Amber E, Tristan J, Richard P, Peter F, Dan S, Ryan H, John M, Raewyn A, Ray R, Seth H, Sam F, Sam R, Nick A and no doubt a raft of other Bimmersport members I can't think of at this time.
Again, sorry we could not help to apply your products to your car. As mentioned I wouldn't normally reply to threads like this but of course I take exception when the business Christian and I have built comes 'under fire'. We have never had a problem customer before and we are happy to help with any customer request as long as we don't sacrifice quality. In regards to becoming soon 'bankrupt' we are constantly booked up every single week for over the last 12 months including winter, at the prices we need to charge in order to survive. If we were to lower prices to what you consider fair for the work, I would say we would definitely go bankrupt like you say!

post-5845-0-05979700-1469160544_thumb.jp

post-5845-0-36850800-1469160548_thumb.jp

post-5845-0-51273400-1469160552_thumb.jp

post-5845-0-07064700-1469160559_thumb.jp

• Like 10

Julian, if you have the gear, and are telling them how to do it, then why not do it yourself and save your self some coin?

Clearly, paying them because you don't have the time is not a factor, as you have time to post up your cry here.

Thread locked.

Happy to unlock and or tidy up if needed.

• Like 2