Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

Cops & Plates

Definitely a move in the direction of money collection.

• Like 6

Definitely a move in the direction of money collection.

You think anyone can just make up a plate of anything then go off do something dodgy is a right thing? (Not saying everyone will)

I reckon if they train up the parking wardens to catch this one, we might get enough $$$ to build Len Brown's train set.

• Like 1

Lol as much as it is a revenue gathering move, without a fine or penalty to deter people from doing it once or doing it again, it will keep happening. I mean for 60 odd dollars and slap on the wrist its certainly worth the risk. But demerit points and say a 200 dollar fine? I know i wouldnt risk it.

You think anyone can just make up a plate of anything then go off do something dodgy is a right thing? (Not saying everyone will)

I reckon if they train up the parking wardens to catch this one, we might get enough $$$ to build Len Brown's train set.

I don't think crooks are stupid enough to run these plates, it's asking to be pulled up. Much more likely to run stolen plates, it's cheaper and less likely to be pulled up.

• Like 1

Pretty sure the fine is $200 for running "unauthorized plates", least that's what my wife got couple years back.

If it was anything other than revenue collection they would make them illegal to import.

• Like 3

What the article fails to point out is why people use those plates. I use german plates because i dont want to pay the crazy $400 to have the same thing but purchased through Personlised Plates Ltd.

This publicity on the matter could be a good thing to expose the monopoly of personalised plates but they failed to show that here.

My flatmate is a reporter for Seven Sharp and shes always wanting good ideas for storys. I will point it out and see if shes interested.

• Like 2

the point is that they are not the same though, they are clearly different in most obviously the font and the reflective fern circle stamp in the white background.

The plates are effectively sold as collectible art and everyone that uses them know that its illegal to use them on the road. but you or anyone else still will do it and then just be prepared to pay the fine should you get pulled over. its your choice.

What about new plates which are stripped and painted black to look like old plates? Would still attract a fine (could argue with the officer to half it)?

Not at home to check the Silver Fern security feature in the sheeting but looking at it I'm thinking my 750i's plate looks very similar to a black one on that cop's bonnet.

Hope I'm not going to have to pay for new plates.

3e512f628b3019ef0bd9981cb7d55053e448bc78

post-17205-0-32638300-1431070971.jpg

^ your plates are legitimate europlate ones issued in NZ - the font on your plates is the slighly older one we used to use before they replaced it with the bolder font plates you see around these days.

• Like 1

This will never stop criminals making fake plates for dodgy activity... theyll just make what they want and chuck them on before they do what theyre doing anyway, not drive around at the speed limit obeying all the laws in their family car, day after day, like most people with fake plates do.

The whole criminal thing is just an excuse to target them. The germanplates are reflective, but yes the font is slightly different (has anyone had a speed camera ticket with their germanplates on?) and the ferns are just an anti-counterfeit measure anyway.

plates ltd has a monopoly, and its criminal. its anticompetitive and not in the best interests of the public. Yes, you should still have to apply to Plates ltd to get a personalised plate (ie: not a euro govt issue plate, but an actual change of whats on the plate) but once you own the rights to the plate (govt issue or custom) you should be able to get it remade by whoever you want as long as it meets certain criteria (reflective, font, size etc).

• Like 1

once you own the number/letter combination you can get them remade through licensys for like $25 or something.

but going from standard size black and white to a euro costs money, same with message plates, red plates, slimline plates etc. but once you have paid for that upgrade then to the cost to get them remade through licensys is the same ($25 or 30 or whatever it is).

I agree that the monopoly plates ltd has over this is insane but it is what it is. its not like a new company is going to come along start making green and yellow plates for $500 forcing plates ltd to bring their prices down.. its just not gonna happen.

once you own the number/letter combination you can get them remade through licensys for like $25 or something.

but going from standard size black and white to a euro costs money, same with message plates, red plates, slimline plates etc. but once you have paid for that upgrade then to the cost to get them remade through licensys is the same ($25 or 30 or whatever it is).

I agree that the monopoly plates ltd has over this is insane but it is what it is. its not like a new company is going to come along start making green and yellow plates for $500 forcing plates ltd to bring their prices down.. its just not gonna happen.

yes but you can only get it made in the same style, otherwise its a significant cost just to change style. There is no good reason in the world it should cost $400 to change from a standard govt issue plate to a govt issue euro plate (even more insulting is the small fee to get a euro plate remade... obviously the cost to process and make the plates is less than $30, so why the extra $370?)

And no, no one will come along and offer "green and yellow" plates, because its illegal. Even if someone came along and made exact copies of the legit plates ltd plates, at a lower cost, itd still be illegal... because the law states they have to be made by... plate ltd. It baffles me how theyve gotten away with this crap for so long.

• Like 2

the reason they charge $400 to upgrade to a euro plate is simply because they just can. and thats all there is to it lol.

I've had mine for about three years and only got a warning for having them. The officer knew exactly where I had purchased them from (germanplates) and I didn't have to take them off because I told him I was running late for work (true story).

Am prepared to cop the fine and demerits but will eventually get round to buying the proper ones.

The thing that frustrated the heck out of me is it was an extra option when I purchased my personalised plates I think it was an extra $30-40, however I didn't really think too much about it at the time.

Now if I want to get them re-made it will cost the $400 I think they're charging.

Have had a speed camera ticket and been through the northern toll roads without any issue of their software reading the plates.

• Like 1

No one said it was right but the law makes it legitmate for them to do so.. unfortunately

Please answer me this some time ago I wished to change the plates on my project car to TIM325 from memory the standard plate set was $400.00 and $600 for a euro set. So if I wait awhile until the "T" series plates are being used with new rego's what will it cost me then?. Maybe a word to the body that controls business affairs or such might be interested in the monopoly that is present?

The journalist writing that had a golden opportunity practically slapping them in the face to comment on the monopoly.

Typical NZ Herald, weak reporting effort with no passion for their job. Probably hoping for another minor celebrity to fart on TV so they can pop it on their front page.

• Like 5

I want the full size Euro plate for the back and the smaller than normal one for the front but over 800 to do so on top of the combination

• Like 1

Lol at Anyyone saying its a way for criminals to put plates on a stolen car/ getaway car.

As if they're going to sit there and order a set of plates which is easilly traced via name/email/ip addy/cc details/whatever else, get them sent to an address that is easily tracked,and have to wait a couple weeks for them to turn up before they go and rob a gas station for $200 worth of cash/ciggys/whatever.

There is no reason we shouldn't be able to run a plate that looks virtually identical to a NZ made one, provided you "own" that rego number. I remember aaaaages ago when germanplates.com had the exact NZ plates font and fern logo. Plates.co.nz quickly put an end to that.

Utter PC BS

• Like 4

Lol at Anyyone saying its a way for criminals to put plates on a stolen car/ getaway car.

As if they're going to sit there and order a set of plates which is easilly traced via name/email/ip addy/cc details/whatever else, get them sent to an address that is easily tracked,and have to wait a couple weeks for them to turn up before they go and rob a gas station for $200 worth of cash/ciggys/whatever.

There is no reason we shouldn't be able to run a plate that looks virtually identical to a NZ made one, provided you "own" that rego number. I remember aaaaages ago when germanplates.com had the exact NZ plates font and fern logo. Plates.co.nz quickly put an end to that.

Utter PC BS

he still has the die set.