Sign in to follow this  
RipJaws

To Sunroof Or Not To Sunroof? E30

Been wondering for a while, in particular, is the e30 more desirable with or without a sun roof? It certainly seems rarer without a sun roof.

I prefer not, but I prefer not in any car.

• Like 2

I'd prefer any car with a sunroof over without. It's the convertible without being one.

Yes, Because they look f**ken awesome when it's tilted up.

(random google pic)

hhudcuw2am62rab7n5on.jpg

• Like 3

I don't like them on balance. Rust, headroom, weight up high. But nice to have sometimes.

Its pretty rare for E30s not to have them. Its mainly only povo spec 316i's that don't have sunroofs. I've driven similar spec'd E30s one with and one without a sunroof back to back and the difference in body roll is unbelievable.

• Like 1

with or without certainly not a deal breaker if it means all other criteria

in saying this if i was to own an e30 id probably *try* to find one without sunroof but as i said its not a dealbreaker

but for my e46 i currently drive i wish it had a sunroof/moonroof. i like the tilt option a lot just to get some airflow

Leading location for rust on an e30. Think they were so common as air con was not.

My reasonably high specced 320i is sunroof-less. One of the reasons I bought it.

Owning the E30's, I definitely prefer without the sunroof. Mostly due to them developing rust, having issues with clogged drains, leaks, and other old car fun.

That said, it hasn't put me off having an E30 with a sunroof, but was happy that the E46 I got didn't have one.

Its pretty rare for E30s not to have them. Its mainly only povo spec 316i's that don't have sunroofs. I've driven similar spec'd E30s one with and one without a sunroof back to back and the difference in body roll is unbelievable.

I find that hard to believe on account of so many other things having a far great impact

Having said that, you should try my cabby some time flex flex flex

Ah good to know, very interesting. I prefer them without because of all the mentioned headaches but I must admit they do look amazing tilted up, just ads heaps to the overall look of the car.

Interesting, I agree they look good and it is sweet cruising with it open but it's also peace of mind eliminating one of the most common and hardest to see rust spots on the e30. I cut the sunroof out of my current e30 due to rust in the tray. Even the replacement sunroof panel I used to fill the hole with no visible rust externally had a little starting on the inside, they rust from the inside out. I wonder how the sunroofs of e30's will hold up as they continue to age. If I had an E30 with even the smallest sign of rust on the sunroof panel I would cut the panel open and fix it properly before it gets worse, any superficial repair is pointless IMO.