Sign in to follow this  
Driftit

2016 340i Review

A good packaged it seems.

Exhaust note leave a whole lot to be desired though, sounds choked up because of the turbos.

Yeah I agree. As much as I love turbo's I do prefer that older BMW 6 sound. Even the old M20.

• Like 1

haha, they could only dream of getting the M20 / M30 engine noise back.

That is the classic BMW soundtrack after all.

I guess it's progress with technology and the sound will change as a result...

No doubting other manufactures are doing a good job, Mercedes new Bi Trubo C63 is a good example of that, for a turbo car it still makes a good note, as do many Audis.

haha, they could only dream of getting the M20 / M30 engine noise back.

That is the classic BMW soundtrack after all.

I guess it's progress with technology and the sound will change as a result...

No doubting other manufactures are doing a good job, Mercedes new Bi Trubo C63 is a good example of that, for a turbo car it still makes a good note, as do many Audis.

they do sound ok but they are kinda flat....

But no doubt the local NZ BMW people will scotch that option.

Incorrect, even though the 8 speed sports steptronic is standard, like the rest of the range the 340i can be ordered with the 6-speed manual box.

Let me know when you are buying Ron and I will put the order through for you.

Technically, as the 6-speed manual is factory standard it is the 8-speed Steptronic that is the "option" but the NZ spec level is upped to meet what 99.9% of the market requires.

• Like 3

Thanks for usual "dealer spin ' Jon it exemplifies my point. Particularly the bull sh*t line about we get the up spaced model. It's just a lack of imagination and cost cutting by the vendors

You can rock up and test drive an auto at any one of the dealers and then if you like it you can decide to purchase , However if you are considering a Manual , you HAVE to ORDER it first and pay your money, no test drives, no discussion just give us your money.

BMW by line "Efficient dynamics" dealer translated to "lazy convenience" with a healthy dose of arrogance.

No test drive no sale

You seem like one of those folks that doesn't consider SMG to be Manual.

• Like 3

Don't work for a dealer Ron

F30 factory standard = manual

Add the optional steptronic box = +$$$s

Therefore it is an increase in spec from standard, I.e. It is up specced.

It is also why if you do buy an F30 with a manual there is a cost REDUCTION for the customer as the spec of the car is reduced.

Unfortunately there are so many options and variables these days it's not possible to have a demo of everything, even for the bigger dealers, simple stocking / cost equation.

When 0.01% of demand is for manual then it doesn't justify the cost. However, those very few serious customers who really want a manual do order them and do get them.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
  • Like 3

theres something wrong with the new lights and grill,can't put my finger on it but they're maybe too thin,

side on it looks ok till the front bonnet suddenly droops and from the back its not as nice as previous models either

earlier versions were nicer they just seemed to have gone too far with changes

that under bumper valance with lights is pig ugly

Audi and merc seem to be improving in looks

my opinion anyway

Edited by kwhelan

It looks very similar to the f10 5 series..
I'm very excited about closed deck single turbo though.

But no doubt the local NZ BMW people will scotch that option

As usual Ron you are not letting the facts get in the way of your story.'

Your point above is incorrect, the option is there for those that want it.

As for "stocking" cars... We are not talking about white Toyotas here, the days of stock are long gone.

Just take 3 Series, 4 models x 4 trim levels = 16 cars,

x 2 for manual / auto of each = 32 units

x 2 for wheel options = 64 cars

x 5 for popular colours = 320 cars

x 3 for interior upholstery

x ?? For different options.

No business can sustain that level of stock. That is why customers specify what they want on their cars and it is ordered for them. Not every one granted, but most.

And funnily enough when they spec their cars and order they take the 8-speed. Not exactly controlled when customer choice is a key POD.

Then there are the customer enquiry channels through CRM and dealer feedback...

But hey, keep grinding that axe if it makes you happy!!

• Like 1

oh not this sh*t again, Ron, seriously?!

If you want to buy a new BMW with a manual box, test drive the auto one, and then tick the manual box on your order form. You'll now know what the car drives like, feels like and smells like, and you already know you want the manual... so test driving a manual version will make no difference.

I also agree that at least in photos, the front doesnt look quite right. Almost like the front is from a smaller 1 series or something, and didnt quite get scaled up with the rest of the car.

• Like 2

Jon, you are ignoring the content of the post and making a disruptive argument, none of what you disgorge in your diatribe above is relevant to the previous post.

Ron, again you are dodging the point. You made a derogatory statement that is factually incorrect.

For the benefit of the other users I pointed out your inaccuracy, at which point you then start to change your argument.

Everyone knows your views on manuals, but keep things accurate and watch the abusive terminology as well please and thank you.

• Like 1

Ron - I have deleted your last post.

I am all for healthy debate and discussion, it's the point of having a forum, but when you start being abusive then you have crossed the line and breached the forum rules.

Yes, by all means state your opinion, you are entitled to it, if you disagree with others fine, but no need to be abusive.

• Like 1

Please also delete your own posts then which are inflammatory and innacurate especially the post about the options and all the models this is just spurious

and the latter two where you take the liberty to to abuse forum users and then deny them right of reply.

You made a statement which I pointed out was wrong, and the reason why it was wrong. Not inaccurate and not inflammatory. I did not refer to you or your opinion in any way that was abusive or derogatory, which is what you then did.

In no way am I denying you the right of reply, I just ask you to refrain from the personal abuse, which you have again included so I will delete it out.

Please accept this and move on, we all have much better things to be doing with our lives.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top
  • Like 1

In the spirit of fairness and consistency I have also re-read my own previous posts and removed a comment which was not appropriate.

Please also delete your own posts then which are inflammatory and innacurate especially the diatribe about the options and all the models this is just spurious

and the latter two where you take the liberty to to abuse forum users and then deny them right of reply.

With the role of moderator one would expect that you exercise due objectivity.

:rolleyes:

Anyone know the best microwave time for cooking pop corn?

Depends on if it's manual popcorn or automatic

• Like 5