Sign in to follow this  
_ethrty-Andy_

Another Fenix Thread

I searched but cant seem to find the answer, where is the best place to buy this?

I am after the all alloy type, ive done my time with plastic cooling systems

Or any alternatives? I can import from overseas if pricing is competitve

Application is E36 328i manual with built in reservoir type on left (passenger) side of the car

Also i remember a thread on here Josh posted or at least participated in about install of these and how they need to be insulated from the car body to prevent voltage buildup or something like that.... did anyone bookmark the thread? Thats not coming up in a search either!

edited to put in lovely yellow edit banner

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_
  • Like 2

Had a brand new fenix radiator leak Worse than a sieve. Customer service were f**king retards, ended up welding it up my self - was easier than dealing with fenix.

On the plus side, it cools much better than the redline one I had which would have me overheating at Hamptons in 3 laps.

• Like 1

I can do a brand new Behr for $335 + gst

Edited by *Glenn*
  • Like 1

Put a Fenix ally rad in my mates E30 ( that he had already bought) . The fittings for the blanking caps were welded on the piss so the rubber seal wouldn't seal flat. Also the drain plug leaked/was a piece of sh*t. Pretty much had the same experience as Troy so binned it and went elsewhere.

My review of redline rad from another thread. On a 4cyl so had to add a 328 expansion tank with a bracket. Possible alternative.

The rad is from redline performance, Im happy with the product for the price. The only down point is the drain tap is poor quality with a press interference fit finger grip to release the the water. This has broken off. I think it was slightly damaged upon receiving it and the brass fitting it brittle. At some point i will braise on the tap fitting again and would suggest this as a first step if starting again with it.
Dimensionally the product is good and fitted well (had to mod a few brackets but thats because its for a 6cyl not a 4. In conclusion, for the dollars it was about right and would buy another if need be.

Guy in palmy sells them on trademe so you could save on that shipping haha. But you haven't had one myself, but was going to look into it for the new build maybe I won't tho.

Fenix and Redline ones are made at the same factory in China :P

You get what you pay for. I was offered a free one for my car, didn't want it though. :D

Put a Fenix ally rad in my mates E30 ( that he had already bought) . The fittings for the blanking caps were welded on the piss so the rubber seal wouldn't seal flat. Also the drain plug leaked/was a piece of sh*t. Pretty much had the same experience as Troy so binned it and went elsewhere.

Yeah, I think the chinese o rings they use are made of clay or something. Mine sh*t them selves soon as the car came up to temp.

Fenix and Redline ones are made at the same factory in China :P

You get what you pay for. I was offered a free one for my car, didn't want it though. :D

Haha, you were singing a much different song before when you were working with them :P

• Like 2

The plastic alloys they do are alright though. Simply bought from big OE companies and reboxed.

But they are just a cheap company at the end of the day, with so so customer service. I'm hardly surprised you didn't have a good experience.

Avoid their auto trans cooler kits, they supplied them with 10mm ID water hose and had some customers cars blow hoses pissing out ATF everywhere.

Just hilarious.

• Like 1

Having a pretty good experience with mishimoto at the moment. pretty much same product as the fluidyne I had but 1/3rd the price. Personally installing an OEM one from other larger engine car is the way to go really if you want OE quality. All alloy is good for the end tank perspective but to be honest unless youre trying to run something massive its just worth sticking with OEM. EG diesel rads are usually bigger and come with extra features.

Having a pretty good experience with mishimoto at the moment. pretty much same product as the fluidyne I had but 1/3rd the price. Personally installing an OEM one from other larger engine car is the way to go really if you want OE quality. All alloy is good for the end tank perspective but to be honest unless youre trying to run something massive its just worth sticking with OEM. EG diesel rads are usually bigger and come with extra features.

are you telling me to run an E39 V8 one? will it fit in an E36 though?

What are you needing the radiator for ?.... a daily or a race car ??

What are you needing the radiator for ?.... a daily or a race car ??

For my E36 compact racecar project, was going to be a M50 but picked up a manual E36 328i out the auctions so will be using that now

edit: M52 and manual swapped into the compact if that wasnt clear

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

Curiously Mishimoto / Redline / Fenix are all made at the same factory in China.

Some of the Fenix stuff is of a cheaper factory which are the ones to avoid, but if they come in a plastic bag sealed with Fenix repeated all over it, that is of the Mishimoto factory.

As far as full alloys go you can't really do any better for the cost with those models.

PWR is probably the next alternative but they are a more expensive Aussie made unit. V8 Supercars run their radiators etc.

but if they come in a plastic bag sealed with Fenix repeated all over it, that is of the Mishimoto factory.

okay so how does one identify this before they click add to cart?

Put one in my car. The coolant level low sensor wouldn't fit the whole, rang them up and said they have never come across this issue before. Brought a new Oem sensor but still same issue, had it milled out by my engineer to work. The the radiator cap thread is thin and soft also.

Seems to hold coolant though.

just put in a good factory one they last 10-15years

• Like 2

Silverdale seem to make good alloy radiators. I am sure the cores are something cheap and chinese, but they say they make end tanks themselves in NZ. I have had one of their larger aftermarket jobs in my WRX rally car without issue for over a year now. Fitted fine and seems to do the job without issue so far.

Silverdale seem to make good alloy radiators. I am sure the cores are something cheap and chinese, but they say they make end tanks themselves in NZ. I have had one of their larger aftermarket jobs in my WRX rally car without issue for over a year now. Fitted fine and seems to do the job without issue so far.

I believe that is correct.

The cores are pretty good out of the right factories in China, depending on the source, but some are pretty shoddy.

I bought this for my Compact @ $169USD- http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5256-mz3-s54-oem-behr-radiator-upgraded-thicker-core-radiator-for-e36.aspx

Including shipping it was just over $300NZD

Upgrade the cooling capacity of your E36 323i, 325i, 328i, M3 with the MZ3 S54 radiator. This thicker core radiator - 42mm core vs the stock 34mm core - is an economical way to increase the cooling capacity from the stock unit in your M20, M50, S50 or S52 equipped 3 series. The thicker core radiator has greater surface area for air to flow over, giving additional cooling capacity over the original radiator. This makes it an excellent choice for track cars that need a little extra cooling capacity. Or for supercharged engines where underhood temps can lead to heat soak in the engine compartment. This radiator also has hangers on the bottom that can fit a Euro oil cooler (cooler brackets still required).
  • Like 2

I bought this for my Compact @ $169USD- http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5256-mz3-s54-oem-behr-radiator-upgraded-thicker-core-radiator-for-e36.aspx

Including shipping it was just over $300NZD

true i should have got that! Mike fitted me up with a really good deal on a Fenix that i had to take the gamble and have got that sitting in the box ready for me! if it all turns to sh*t i will get one of these!!!

• Like 1

true i should have got that! Mike fitted me up with a really good deal on a Fenix that i had to take the gamble and have got that sitting in the box ready for me! if it all turns to sh*t i will get one of these!!!

Told you.. that's what I got