Sign in to follow this  
actletpone

NZ New E30 factory audio gear?

My car seems to have two amplifiers, trying to work out what has been done and why under previous ownership.

This is my factory head unit and amplifier which sits under the ecu. The head-unit is possibly faulty, seems to like turning itself off from what I remember (has been out of the car for a while)

2nu4myo.jpg

I also have this unit in the boot which I believe is an amplifier (sits under the lining by the antenna), (photo from internet)..amp.jpg

The car has the premium sound package. At some stage it looks like the wires going from the amp in the boot to the rear speakers have been cut and joined to a connector under the rear seat which must be coming from the amp under the ecu.

I believe the original head-unit for the premium sound package is different to my one?

Do cars with the premium sound package have an amp under the ecu and one in the boot or just the one in the boot?

I am guessing for some reason the original premium head unit was replaced and the amp in the boot is not compatible with it? Or maybe the head-unit is the original as I believe it was an nz only option (had one in my last e30 which did not have premium speakers).

Edited by actletpone

I believe you might be onto something re it being an NZ only option. I believe when BMWs arrived in NZ in late 80's early 90's BMW would get Sony or Pioneer to do sound system when it arrived (maybe something with radio frequencies of EUR HU back then). Someone more in the know might be able to clarify this.

That HU isn't something I've seen (in my heavy trawling of internet to try and find a nice factory stereo for my own E30), nor the mini amplifier.

​The second picture is definitely the normal premium sound system amp I've seen connecting to a stereo that looks like image No. 1 or 6 in this thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=314184 (think the vehicle I saw it on was Jap import).

It should be possible to wire any HU to any amplifier as long as you have a wiring diagram and it doesn't use DSP, though you would likely need to use speaker level inputs (rather than the RCA inputs like the amp under your dash). Does the Blaupunkt amplifier have any markings on it with output RMS ratings? It is possible it doesn't put out much more than a modern HU.

Edited by jonoe30

I believe you might be onto something re it being an NZ only option. I believe when BMWs arrived in NZ in late 80's early 90's BMW would get Sony or Pioneer to do sound system when it arrived (maybe something with radio frequencies of EUR HU back then). Someone more in the know might be able to clarify this.

That HU isn't something I've seen (in my heavy trawling of internet to try and find a nice factory stereo for my own E30), nor the mini amplifier.

​The second picture is definitely the normal premium sound system amp I've seen connecting to a stereo that looks like image No. 1 or 6 in this thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=314184 (think the vehicle I saw it on was Jap import).

It should be possible to wire any HU to any amplifier as long as you have a wiring diagram and it doesn't use DSP, though you would likely need to use speaker level inputs (rather than the RCA inputs like the amp under your dash). Does the Blaupunkt amplifier have any markings on it with output RMS ratings? It is possible it doesn't put out much more than a modern HU.

The headunit is manufactured by Sony, hopefully I can get it working properly. In my previous nz new e30 with the same unit, there were little brackets which bolted on the the bottom of the ecu to hold it. When I got this car the ecu had to cover (amp was just sitting under kick panel, I do not have the brackets to hold the amp, the velcro on top of it (obviously to hold it to the ecu when it had a cover) makes me think it may have been added later.

So I am guessing this head unit is not the original, hence the disconnection of the rear speakers to the amp in the boot, front speakers must be disconnected from amp in boot somewhere too.

Cannot see any markings on amp in boot but have not removed it completely. Will try find some specs on the net.

If I cannot get the sony unit working I will have to find the original premium sound head unit or a suitable looking alternative. Anyone familiar with what goes wrong in these units?

Edited by actletpone

That LOOKS like the original "premium sound" head unit.

YES, they were fitted in NZ - didn't someone on here screenprint the BMW Audio label onto them???

I don't know anymore thatn that, but Dads E30 is parked in my Barn, and he's had it 17 or 18 years - HU looks just like your pic above, and it's a 2 owner car, never been dicked with.

That LOOKS like the original "premium sound" head unit.

YES, they were fitted in NZ - didn't someone on here screenprint the BMW Audio label onto them???

I don't know anymore thatn that, but Dads E30 is parked in my Barn, and he's had it 17 or 18 years - HU looks just like your pic above, and it's a 2 owner car, never been dicked with.

Ok cheers, that is good to know. Now I just need to find out why the rear speakers have been cut from the amp in the boot then hopefully get the head unit working properly. Maybe the amp in the boot has failed and the amp sitting under the ecu was installed to replace it. I would be surprised if it came out of the factory with both amps installed.

If anyone has one of these head unit and amp in working order would like to purchase to restore an e30 se to original.

how good are you with a soldering iron Rob?

anythings fixable i saw one for sale that needed a bit of a birthday.

I had a Sony head unit back in the day which was the same "series" as that one, but a bit more high-end with CD stacker control etc. The front fascia lay out was the same and the button styles, etc.

In all honesty it was a piece of crap that gave me nothing by grief, spent more time back in the shop for repairs than it did in the car. One of the long running faults was the fact that it would cut-out on a regular basis and then turn back on at random, they never seemed to get to the bottom of why it was doing it!

Sony used to be a "premium" brand that I really stood by, but that head unit was the start of a bad run on their equipment and now I won't even touch the stuff.

As Andy says, most things can be fixed if you're clever enough.

how good are you with a soldering iron Rob?

Do you know anything about fixing these units or how to diagnose them? I can solder and have a basic understanding of electronics

that Sony unit was also used for nz new e36s . Very good deck with one of the best FM tuners regardless of year. I had no issues with mine and used it as the basis for a phoenix gold / Boston acoustics system.. They will run most Sony bus cd stackers without issue and sound is very clean via the four RCA's out.

I'd ditch the factory amp and go small footprint class d amp such as PPI / Soundstream and replace the Nokia speakers with some nice 5.25 speakers behind the factory grills.

Ski pass sub also works well on e30s if you have the fixed or armrest back seat.

• Like 1

Sony XR-7300 is the model.

I am using one with a non original 5 channel amp so I can run a Sub and all four speakers.

they also have an Aux in line which is better than a CD stacker these days.

Still trying to figure this out. The car is nz new with premium sound option.

The white wire which turns the amp in the boot on has been cut at the head unit end.

The 8 speaker wires coming out of the amp in the boot are cut off behind the rear seat and the 8 wires going to the speakers they use to be connected to are joined to the output of the amp under the ecu.

The left and right channel ground wires behind the head unit have been cut.

The 4 speaker wires at the fader have been cut.

The job looks a bit crude to be a factory nz radio install, unless someone was cutting corners? Cut wires are left hanging. Speaker wire joins behind rear seat are simply wrapped in insulation tape.

If the head unit is the original nz new premium sound head unit I fail to see how it joined to the amp in the boot. Or were the cars shipped with the amp in the boot and configured as above with the amp under the ecu when they landed.

I have tried to rejoin the cut wires and can get the amp in the boot to turn on but cannot get sound output. I can't see how it would work as the speaker outputs on the pinout for the sony xr7300 go to the rca's which plug into the amp under the ecu.

My BMW NZ tow bar has exposed wire joins, which is pretty shocking if it was done by BMW. Granted it was taped, but there wasn't even much tape to fall off

I think I have figured it out now.

The nz new sony xr7300 only has line level outputs which cannot be used with the amp in the boot as it is a booster amp and requires speaker level inputs.

The pinout on the internet for the sony xr7300 is similar but different to how these nz new setups seem to be wired. Interestingly the pinout looks like the unit does have speaker level outputs, maybe there is a switch inside it somewhere or it was modified for bmw. Saying that maybe the pinout is wrong because if it was capable of speaker level outputs you could just wire it straight into the booster amp?

I was wondering what would happen if you fed the speaker level outputs from the sony amp into the factory booster amp but can't seem to find specs on the booster amp.

I found a sony xr7300 service manual online if anyone is interested:

http://elektrotanya.com/sony_xr-7300.pdf/download.html

Note the download button is under the 'Document Preview' not the multiple 'sponsored links'

Has anyone had any experience with the sony xr-7300 giving more power to one side?

My Right speakers are stronger than my left. Balance appears to be set to the middle. I do not think it is an amp or wiring issue because when I plug an rca cable from my phone directly into the amp the left and right channels are the same volume through the speakers. I also do not think it is an input issue, as it does it when set to radio aswell.

i beleive that is very similar to the head unit in my e34.It had a handle which allowed it to be pulled out of the car at any time.I had no issues with the head unit,the cd stacker in the boot(sony) was another matter!

Hi Guys

As per wanted listing I am looking for the rear plug and wiring for one of these. Have managed to find 2 working amps and head units but only one has the plug and wiring on the back of the box. happy to look at any options...want one for my e30 se the other is to sell of keep if i cant find parts to complete.

Where to obtain switched 12v for replacement radio?

Thought I would post this here rather than start a new topic..

The sony was stuffed, couldn't fix it, L/R channel volumes became even when heat was applied to the circuit board. I have a replacement radio to install which has a 15 Amp fuse. The standard switched radio power wire is 18 AWG which may or may not handle 15 amps depending on the mixed info I am seeing on wire gauge sizing charts.

Considering the fact the radio wire circuit is suppose to have a 7.5 fuse in the fuse box I am hesitant despite the ease of tapping into the existing wire, it also has to run the check control and instruments so would certainly be at its limits. It might sound silly to consider it, but my factory radio runs the stock headunit and amp from this same piddly 18 awg wire, (amp itself has much thicker wiring and a 10 amp fuse). I think they also swapped the 7.5 fusebox fuse for a 10 amp when they installed the radio.

Where is a good tidy place to obtain a switched 12v which can support 15 Amps? (I don't seem to have the auxiliary switched 12v connection next to the fuse box that I see on some overseas forums)

I guess option B could be to run a battery feed wire and have it switched by a relay to the standard switched radio wire? I don't like the idea of having the radio wired to a non switched 12v.

can i buy the case for holding the sonny head unit in the dash? need the plug and wiring on the back.

Edited by Rob HB1