Sign in to follow this  
francoisv

E28 Low Rider

So got the V8 on Friday, and wiring loom. I must admit, this was a little tricky to remove as there was always one more cable, pipe or bracket still connecting the engine to the car, but it came out in the end.

Still busy with the wiring, will be removing at least half of this mess and then make it all pretty again to stick into Rusta.

Hoping to get the car in the garage this weekend and have the engine in place for the custom engine mounts to be made up and also take measurements for the drive shaft etc

post-2466-0-65683300-1452540237.jpg

post-2466-0-90813000-1452540247.jpg

post-2466-0-26895600-1452540259.jpg

post-2466-0-32063200-1452540408.jpg

post-2466-0-67109000-1452540421.jpg

• Like 4

So got the V8 on Friday, and wiring loom. I must admit, this was a little tricky to remove as there was always one more cable, pipe or bracket still connecting the engine to the car, but it came out in the end.

Still busy with the wiring, will be removing at least half of this mess and then make it all pretty again to stick into Rusta.

Hoping to get the car in the garage this weekend and have the engine in place for the custom engine mounts to be made up and also take measurements for the drive shaft etc

What are those seats you've got man?

• Like 1

Those are the custom seats ive made for the ute. Just some bucket seats moulded over the factory BMW seat skeleton so I can get all the motion and heating that you would from factory seats, but with a "race" feel haha

• Like 2

Those are the custom seats ive made for the ute. Just some bucket seats moulded over the factory BMW seat skeleton so I can get all the motion and heating that you would from factory seats, but with a "race" feel haha

Holy crap 0_o nice job!

• Like 1

Thanks. It was one of the only fabrication tasks that ripped my hands up, but they did come out pretty well in the end. Very comfortable to sit in too

Preping the engine bay for the Engine drop. Had to redo all the brake lines as im moving from a vacuum system to a hydraulic ABS system. The brake callipers should be fine after having them looked at by the guys at Sterling. So fingers crossed the car actually stops.

Now, since the car will be Fly by Wire rather then cable throttle, I have been scratching my head on how I was going to mount the throttle controller under the dash or even on the gas pedal as there isn't any real space or mounts on the pedal box. I was going to have to get a complete custom box fabricated up from somewhere, But then while I was doing the brake lines, I notice that the old throttle system that used a unique way of pulling the cable, will work perfectly with the electric throttle controller. I don't think I could have made it any easier. The only thing ill need to do is fabricate a brace mount for it and a longer cross piece to pull the bar. Ill have to do this once the engine goes in this weekend so I can see spacing requirements etc

post-2466-0-86801100-1453418840.jpg

post-2466-0-98312800-1453418853.jpg

post-2466-0-08547000-1453418875.jpg

post-2466-0-17021400-1453418886.jpg

post-2466-0-76554700-1453419066.jpg

post-2466-0-07339100-1453419080.jpg

post-2466-0-72873100-1453419095.jpg

• Like 7

Been doing a fair amount of delooming and merging on the two wiring looms, a few more hours needed on that and then I can get the wiring installed and out the way.
Got the motor in last night, a little tricky, but got there eventually. Now I just need to get it to where I want to and then get the engine mounts done. Not sure how im going to do this tho....

Ordered something very cool for this project from ECS today, will post some pics once I receive it.

post-2466-0-33436400-1454619919.jpg

post-2466-0-05749000-1454619944.jpg

post-2466-0-34428000-1454619955.jpg

post-2466-0-00099600-1454620041.jpg

• Like 5

Haha, yea I get bored very easily I think. Plus my ute is still getting its rust and rear sail fixed.

• Like 2

Because... Airbags

Engine de clutter almost done. Wiring almost done. Hoping to have the beasty running be end of next week. Then will get the air ride fabricated and installed

post-2466-0-37626800-1455862959_thumb.jp

• Like 6

Woweee! coming along real nicely.

Thanks, it's very time consuming removing things and also modifying the oil flow system to get rid of the factory engine mounts, but seems to be going smoothly ?

Do you have a instagram or something that you keep updated? would love to follow this build in more detail. Hit me up if you ever need a extra hand, real glad someone is pushing the NZ scene!

• Like 1

Finally got around to finished the mounts off. Engine sitting all on its own and fits pretty well, very minimal space but enough to work with.

Brake booster relocation done and mounted, just need to get the ABS module mounted and then connect all the lines up.

Will hopefully get the wiring finiahed and ready for fluids and start up be end of next weekend.

post-2466-0-83179900-1456817408_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-90885100-1456817434_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-23980600-1456817458_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-87759300-1456817494_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-03416700-1456817528_thumb.jp

• Like 3

Do you have a instagram or something that you keep updated? would love to follow this build in more detail. Hit me up if you ever need a extra hand, real glad someone is pushing the NZ scene!

Thanks man. I have been thinking about an IG page, but will probably do it once the car is finished, which hopefully ain't to long

keep it up Francois, looking good.

• Like 1

hey Francois, how's it coming along? Are you going to make Beach Hop with this awesome project? I trust it's all coming together for you.

cheers

Olaf

• Like 1

Hey Olaf, that's the plan. Today will be dedicated to getting the ABS module and Brake lines all hooked up and flushed, Hopefully with out any leaks haha
Then the rest of the week will be finishing off the wiring and getting the E38 harness merged with the E28s, luckily its only for lighting so shouldn't be too difficult if the LCM plays nice.
Next week I have a mate coming around to help with getting the air backs measured up and welded to the factory shock mounts, I can then get the lines run and Tank, Compressor and gauges installed.
Im also dropping the 2 drive shafts off tomorrow to be merged into one.

But will see, if I cant get it done before beach hop, im sure there will be another event soonish

• Like 1

How are you going about the abs fitting? Did the car have abs to begin with or is it a complete retrofit, I've thought about adding abs to mine for safety but have thought it was more trouble than it's worth.

• Like 1

By ABS, I mean DSC / ASC which is what the E38 had. Fitting it is a little tricky, ill get some picks up tonight. Im almost finished the brake lines, so hopefully ill be able to get them flushed out this week and also pressure tested to make sure there aren't any leaks
I had Blair form Sterling Brake and Clutch look at the set up and he says the E28 Pots are in the same bandwidth for pressure as the E38 ABS Hydro unit puts outs , I think it both systems were single Pot.
I guess ill have to just test them and see how they go, as i haven't found much on the internet about this conversion.

From memory, the E28 was vacuum rather then pressure. And there were only 2 lines that came off the master cylinder, each line split in two for the front and rear. Very basic set up. The wiring for the ABS integration is the hardest part, as the ABS unit controls almost everything. And ill have to get mine reset or get a new one from somewhere, due to removing a few sensor wires that are not needed and will probably throw some lights up on the dash

Lines aren't the tidiest, but hey, it suits the rat look haha hoping to get them all pressure tested today then can get some fluid in and at least ill be able to stop......hopefully.
Compressor, pump, booster and control module are all snuggy behind the right front head light, ill probably need to re-work the low beams to fit

post-2466-0-46829200-1457543689.jpg

post-2466-0-35010600-1457543702.jpg

post-2466-0-11643000-1457543750.jpg

Edited by FrancoisPV
  • Like 1

By ABS, I mean DSC / ASC which is what the E38 had.

From memory, the E28 was vacuum rather then pressure. And there were only 2 lines that came off the master cylinder, each line split in two for the front and rear. Very basic set up. The wiring for the ABS integration is the hardest part, as the ABS unit controls almost everything. And ill have to get mine reset or get a new one from somewhere, due to removing a few sensor wires that are not needed and will probably throw some lights up on the dash

Wait, what? Are you installing the wheel sensors? CANBUS? Cluster? ASC actuator? You could even install the cruise control?

• Like 1

yes to all the above. Just trying to get my head around the wheel sensors. Canbus will only be connecting the ECU, ABS and LCM. Steering wheel will be melted down to bare metal and will just have a funky looking stereo, so wont need any of that nonsense haha

• Like 1