Sign in to follow this  
francoisv

E28 Low Rider

yes to all the above. Just trying to get my head around the wheel sensors. Canbus will only be connecting the ECU, ABS and LCM. Steering wheel will be melted down to bare metal and will just have a funky looking stereo, so wont need any of that nonsense haha

That's awesome

Well after a few months of on and off with working on the old boy, I managed to get a solid week in for the wiring (massive massive task). Basically everything is now controlled through the LCM / ABS and GMIII

There are a few things left to do wiring side,
- Get the Fuel Sender (E28 side) to talk to the E38 IKE. Cant really find much information on how the fuel level signal is handled on the E38 IKE / CAN / DME
- Figure out how to get the Speedo Sensor in the E28 Diff to talk to the ABS Unit for speedo reading. Failing that I will have to bite the bullet and try find the ABS wheel hubs for the E28 and stick in E38 sensors

If all goes to plan this week, ill be in a position to fire it up

Managed to get the 17" BBS off an E36 installed, they fit. No rubbing on the inner guards or struts etc.
Got some roof racks too, they will suit the roof rack system quite well

Started fabrication on the air ride struts, just need remove the cars struts or get some second hand ones somewhere for a reasonable price.

Once the car is confirmed to be starting (end of the week) then I can get the driveshaft and exhaust fabricated

post-2466-0-06766400-1467586365.jpg

post-2466-0-98838100-1467586389.jpg

post-2466-0-74758700-1467586405.jpg

post-2466-0-94920700-1467586772.jpg

post-2466-0-40385100-1467590289.jpg

Edited by FrancoisPV
  • Like 3

'rusted' pallet to go on top of the roof racks? nice!

'rusted' pallet to go on top of the roof racks? nice!

Actually that's a coffee table for a cafe client of mine haha

But a pallet roof rack thinky is a brilliant idea ?

• Like 2

Luv this project and have been hoping for a update for a while now.

Gonna be awesome to see this one on the road.

Different topic but how's the ute coming alone?

• Like 1

Thanks Dave, im just trying to finish the last bit of nancey wiring, merging digital and analog systems together is quite mind numbing, but hoping to have that finished this weekend, then get it started. Once its started I can get the drive shafts made up and then take it for a test drive haha

The ute is coming along very slowly, they guy helping with the welding of the rear sail and restructuring of the chassis, is taking his sweet as time, so I might actually look at hiring someone else with decent fabrication skills to get the beats done. I have some new progress photos to upload, so ill do it this weekend

• Like 1

Suppose you might have placed the wining bid on the roof rack the other day on TM?

Possibly? I bought 2 sets, but decided on using the ones pictures

After taking a brake from the projects for a while and then finishing off the Track Daily, I started back on this ol thing. However with my wedding coming up in 6 weeks, I was forced to slightly alter the project and start again. Not ideal, but it was going to be easier and faster getting the wedding car look I want.

I purchased a mint running E28 off trade me, with 22 years of proven service history and mechanical up keep. The body wasn't in great condition in some places due to rust, but that was perfect for me.
20170201_172355.jpg
Drove the car around for a week or two, headed to Hamilton and Themes and was very happy with it, so have decided to keep the 2.5 (2.7) in it for now and run it till it dies, then look at the V8 option again, only this time ill get one out of an E32 or E34. Other V8 is up for sale on trade me now

Ive pulled off most of the rusted parts from original car and will just use these rather than re rusting the other parts. Started cutting up the rear quarters to make way for the wide arches to fit the wider wheels.
20170219_113834.jpg    20170219_113839.jpg 
20170219_182238.jpg
Jacked the wheel hub to get an idea of droppage, still has approx. 30mm to go for full slam.
20170220_183740.jpg 
Fronts all welded, painted up and will installed this weekend after ive done the front flaring of the guards
20170219_182248.jpg

Should have a fully slammed and Patina Rusta-Rod before too long

• Like 3

Man you worked fast. I like those arches, looking forward to seeing it done.

1 hour ago, qube said:

when are you gonna paint the shark along the side?

Haha no shark on this. Can't copy slammington too much 

Finally got all the lines and wiring and tank compressor stuff finished. Boot needs a few more things to finish it off, BUT we have the car sitting on the tyres, might need to go for a lower profile...

Fronts will be chucked in tomorrow and then system test on Friday

Oh and we have a matching tool box

20170308_194852.jpg

20170308_193118.jpg

• Like 2

Broken mud flap, but we have 30mm off the floor ?

Might need front spacers to bring the wheel out a tad more.

Sneak peak at the front bumper combo too

20170311_152842.jpg

20170311_114620.jpg

so you've put the e28/V8/rusty lorider on hold, robbed its body panels and added them - plus airbag lows - into another e28?  

you going back to the V8 project later?

1 hour ago, Olaf said:

so you've put the e28/V8/rusty lorider on hold, robbed its body panels and added them - plus airbag lows - into another e28?  

you going back to the V8 project later?

Old E28 was stripped and taken away. Sold the M62 and in the process of looking for an M60 from an E32.

I have my wedding in 3 weeks so need a wedding car, hence the reboot ?

ahhh!  at least all is not lost.  Wow, shotgun wedding pressures.  Go hard, young man! We're all keen to see this project rolling.  And scraping sump, I guess.

Playing around with front bumper options, flipped an E24 front, but doesn't quite cut it, so may have go cut the bumper up and fit it straight to the standard 

20170313_184147.jpg

11 hours ago, francoisv said:

Playing around with front bumper options, flipped an E24 front, but doesn't quite cut it, so may have go cut the bumper up and fit it straight to the standard 

20170313_184147.jpg

Planning on driving through some heavy snow? ;) 

2 hours ago, eliongater said:

Planning on driving through some heavy snow? ;) 

Mad max styles ?

• Like 1

D day tomorrow. Car made it to Waiuku.

Should make for an interesting wedding car and awesome photo shoot 

20170330_184133.jpg

• Like 8

Cert scheduled for tomorrow. Wish the ol boy luck...

20170403_102728.png

• Like 5

18 hours ago, francoisv said:

Cert scheduled for tomorrow. Wish the ol boy luck...

20170403_102728.png

How'd the cert go? 

16 hours ago, EUROHO said:

How'd the cert go? 

It didn't, waited most of the morning for they guy only to be told he double booked us. 

Sooooo we now have to wait another 2 weeks. But this gives me a chance to get the new interior in and tints done, a little disappointing but he seems to be the only chap in Auckland who will certify the air bags and 'paint