Sign in to follow this  
///MPROVD

E46 M3 "MPROVD"

Im not sure how exhaust will sound. Its kinda just for shits and giggles its costing nothing but the $80 muffler and i still have 2 other stock ones and if its a real nasty sound which i figure it will be ill just use it for track days etc lost a fair bit of weight from baffling

If you have any suggestions on how to improve sound on a budget id like to hear them. Was going to wrap the perforated pipe?

I have plans for a proper exhaust system this is purely for the fun of it

Edited by ibboostn

Im not sure how exhaust will sound. Its kinda just for shits and giggles its costing nothing but the $80 muffler and i still have 2 other stock ones and if its a real nasty sound which i figure it will be ill just use it for track days etc lost about 15kg of baffling

If you have any suggestions on how to improve sound on a budget id like to hear them. Was going to wrap the perforated pipe?

I have plans for a proper exhaust system this is purely for the fun of it

go see pete , at papakura mufflers for advice on the insides

• Like 1

Removing some of the perforated pipe and replacing with straight pipe is exactly how the BMW M Performance exhausts work, at least the ones for the E9x 335is. They don't remove any of the packing - that was found to just increase drone/vibration.

So I reckon you should experiment with wrapping it, then when you find a good level you may want to just replace the wrapped section with straight pipe. Not sure how well wrapping holds up in the long term.

I'm considering doing something similar with my 335i.

Edited by Matth5

Thanks ill wrap the perforated pipes is there a special wrap to use or just exhaust heat wrap?

If you look up the E92 M3 exhaust mods they are all to do with wrapping or replacing the perforated pipe as well.

Thanks man what wrap tho? Just heat wrap that one would normally use for exhaust manifolds

Yeah think they just use header wrap, otherwise they get some metal shim and clamp it on

Hey so small update,

I finshed exhaust and put it back on the car and to my surprise it sounds almost exactly the same with maybe the slightest more volume.

I'm kinda happy with the result because the muffler is now considerably lighter and doesnt sound bad or drone.

Installed an AFE magnum power intake tube which then popped off and split the silicone joiner. A replacement is on the way and it will be reinstalled.

Also changed the rear trailing arm bushes as the rear end felt a bit sloppy and after further inspection the bushes were beyond destroyed.

I replaced them with RUFF branded bushes from Speedfactor (nice guys to deal with) normally I would use oem rubber but these were recommended to me and I like the idea of the built-in limiters that would otherwise be an additional cost.

Also I was lucky enough to have an exceptional photographer take photos of my car, thanks to Daniel Kim (Corsbe Photography). I'll attach a couple but if you're interested in checking out more awesome photos of lots of other cool cars, check out his Facebook page.

post-16160-0-48970000-1458197240_thumb.j

post-16160-0-80834700-1458197263_thumb.j

post-16160-0-50647500-1458197286_thumb.j

post-16160-0-30007200-1458197314_thumb.j

post-16160-0-23525000-1458197337_thumb.j

post-16160-0-71290300-1458197351_thumb.j

post-16160-0-24941000-1458197364_thumb.j

post-16160-0-57580700-1458197381_thumb.j

post-16160-0-40616900-1458197394_thumb.j

post-16160-0-58108200-1458197408_thumb.j

• Like 3

any more vibrations with the new bushes?

Hmm haven't felt anything but only drove it up the road its in for an alignment tomorrow so will drive it properly afterwards

Haha would that mean they make it fast like a ruff porsche??

Dont know much about them but pretty sure not the same

hey guys, a bit of update apologizes for the delay ive been trying to get enough together to do another write up. Anyway here's some of things ive been up to over the past months.

Wheels- so i wasnt happy with the lips on the Equips as they were chrome plated and numerous stones had taken their toll on it. this was one of the first things i did in the earlier months. so thanks to 41 degree wheels and the legendary polishing services of Jasjot i have fitted 3.5inch rear lips and 2.5 inch front lips thats only 0.5 inch difference but it has made a world of difference both with fitment and looks. And to top it off i fitted 24k gold plated assembly bolts also supplied by jasjot. during this time i also had them stripped and painted.

Sounds- ive had troubles with the premium audio in the car the speakers just dont last (not that i fitted new replacements) but i got tried of replacing them so i got a full harmon kardon speaker setup and much to my surprise everything just swapped out including the amp. i wouldnt say it was a huge improvement but it is better with the added bonus of the blingly harmon kardon badging and of course the reliability.

Tuning- i took the car into ray to get the shift lights and cruise control programed in while i was there ray told me of a tune he could put on the car while he was programing it. it sounded so good i couldnt refuse and i must say it has made a big difference and has really sharpened the throttle up. Alex did a write up on here somewhere. the only down side was we were unable to get the lights and cruise working however i will look into this again later.

Vanos- Kayne Barrie Motorsport rebuilt the vanos with new seals and rattle kit and now its much quieter with a slight improvement in power delivery

Servicing- did a 10k kms service which included plugs, a new oil level sensor and valve cover gasket.

Suspension- this is has been on my list and ive been saving for these for a while now but this weekend just gone i finally picked up my set of Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers. Naturally i could wait to install them so i spent my sunday doing just that along with a set of braided brakes lines i got off Ebay months ago but i wanted to wait until i got the pss10s to really feel the difference. i got them in and went for a short uneventful drive but i havent had a chance to really try them out as well as they need some adjustment with both height and damper adjust which i will do but after mu overseas holiday in the new year i will have the car corner balanced and setup correctly. Also my car lacked the factory strut brace fitted to other M3s so i managed to grab one of those off of brent from bmworld.

So yeah no immediate plans for the near future as i need to focus of life stuff and my partners car build but im sure something will pop up and convince me otherwise haha. but hopefully you all enjoy this update.

FB_IMG_1477418336224[1].jpg

received_1403041893102003[1].jpeg

20161211_135603[1].jpg

20161211_114342[1].jpg

20160521_103404[1].jpg

20161122_194536[1].jpg

15410010_1404653712940821_360032042_o.jpg

• Like 3

Hey guys - another update.

A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to take an E46 M3 with a CSL airbox for a drive. And as you could imagine I was hooked on the raw induction sound. 

I had often heard how awesome this intake was but always thought it was unobtainable endeavour due to the cost mostly, and second the complexity.

After talking to the owner (M3 power) he explained actually how simple it really was mechanically.

I had already seen the magical wizardry that Tom was capable of but when he said he'd help me out with the CSL tune and ECU. It meant that what I thought was unreachable now didnt seem so far away. 

And as the stars aligned a Geoff Steel airbox came up for sale so I had to snap it up. 

I got to work and started ordering the bits I needed to put it all together. With many texts to the experts, I soon had the bits and started.

Instead of buying a lot of the genuine parts, I used some aftermarket options.

I had to slightly bend the oil dipstick to accomodate the airbox but soon realised that the bonnet wouldn't close and I didnt want to bend it anymore so I cut the top off and put a key ring though it. 

Second was the adding the map sensor. I used the cheaper gm map sensor but had to add 6mm pipe to supply the sensor so using the ttfs rail as basis I made my own budget rail.

But I have to thank the wizard himself, Tom (M3 power). If it weren't for him I wouldn't have been able to do this. So thanks for being a top bloke and helping a meer mortal.

Anyway, pictures tell the rest. 

Enjoy!

received_10210466322987370.jpeg

received_1631162563623267.jpeg

received_1631162363623287.jpeg

received_1631162156956641.jpeg

received_1631162803623243.jpeg

received_1631162790289911.jpeg

received_1631162766956580.jpeg

Edited by ibboostn
  • Like 7

Yup all done bar one oem hose im waiting for it to arrive. If you look closely you can see it 

• Like 1

Wow, what an awesome purchase and mod bro!  good on you for taking the leap, certainly helps when you got the likes of people like Tom to help, really keen to hear your thoughts on how you car feels now and if you think theres a definite performance gain you can feel with he box and CSL tune.  

dyno time soon ?? and a test drive ;)