Sign in to follow this  
Michael.

Imported package held at customs?

Hi lads,

I've got an annoying issue where a package came into NZ from USA on the 19th of November with the tracking stating it require tax payment.

It's now the 2nd December, two weeks later and I've received no customs letter or anything to process this payment.

Does anyone know the best way to contact someone in the related fields who can get this sorted?

It's particularly frustrating when shipping takes 4 days and then its been sitting for 14 days........ how on earth does NZ expect to claim more GST in future for all imports when they can barely do it properly with items over $400?

Cheers in advance.

What carrier does that come in by? USPS? If so, contact NZ Post on 0800501501. Last time I did it they gave me a custom's reference number to pay them money, customs will ok it and give permission to release then I can collect from international mail centre at Auckland Airport the next day. This process took me 3 days.

Edited by SpikeyLemon
  • Like 1

I had the same issue when I imported an LSD center recently, you literally just have to keep chasing them.

Call this number, 0800 428 786, discuss the situation and they will probably say it hasn't been processed yet and then they will likely put you through to the international mail team at NZ Post, the latters phone isn't always managed so you will have to keep calling them until they answer..ridiculous.

Basically all packages that need duty paid on them go in these massive cages and NZ Post process the cages in lots, not package by package, so it may happen once a week for example - because that process is logical....and then it is passed onto Customs to collect the duty and then the package is released.

I agree re comments about managing the tax on all goods when they can't do a certain group, my diff centre sat at customs for a month, before the international team called me up to confirm it wasn't a business expense...they then on-forwarded it to customs, and I dealt with an customs customer service email address (not wait for a letter to be posted). Paid, and then the item was sent, I think 5 weeks after it arrived in NZ.

The main learning I had was when buying items that you know will be over the $400 threshold to try and pay extra and use a company such as Fedex or DHL if possible who will deal with customs and invoice you duty fees on behalf, rather than say a cheaper freight company such as USPS where you become the go between between NZ Post and Customs.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Brams
  • Like 1

I'm sure I just rang customs gave them my shipping # and credit card details and they released the item.

I also got a customs client number for future imports haven't had to use it though

• Like 2

Some shippers don't put your phone number on the paperwork, so you can only be contacted via the delivery address... and maybe that got lost???

Worst I had was 4 days, because notification had to come by mail.

Usually I get a phone call the first working day after the tracking page says it's here.

If the product is over $1000 they are probably waiting for you to provide them with your importers' code.

Ring the freight forward agent or get a form off customs website and apply for an importers' code first to speed things up.

They didn't have my correct details so couldn't get in touch apparently. Ugh.......

Contacted UPS and sorted it with them directly

:)