Sign in to follow this  
LemonHunter

M20B20/B23 Head Gasket Options

I've never replaced a head gasket with an OEM one, generally favor Cometic MLS or equivalent.

Seems that with BMW though oem or VR are perfectly fine?

I have a 'recent rebuilt' M20B23 with the gasket probably gone between 5 & 6. After only 7000km.

I don't think I'm going to turbo this engine ever, but i do like to give it the beans on the twisties.

Seeking suggestions for make, type & best place to shop.

I've sent out a few texts today to get some prices for the B20 Cometic MLS gasket. The part number for the 0.070" thick one is C4393-070. Plenty of them on ebay for around the $300-$350 mark but I'll let you know if any of my contacts comes back cheaper.

I replaced the head gasket on my B25.

VR didn't have fantastic reviews online. A lot of people saying it leaked oil down the block, sometimes so much that the gasket had to be replaced again.
I used a Goetze gasket. Seemed to be very high quality and has held up well after a year of having it installed.

Honestly I think with your intentions there really is no point in putting in a non OEM gasket. The OEM gaskets hold up just fine even with boost. (No first hand experience, however I've done a lot of research re turboing an E30)

fcpeuro.com seems really good for parts, I've only started using them recently.

If you want to use a local company, euro-italian is a forum sponsor. Also have heard good things about milland.co.nz

I've had great experiences with FCPEuro also, but discovered after one purchase it pays to check locally first. With freight, one purchase was the same as buying locally, except locally I wouldn't have waited a week and a bit for delivery.

Everything I've read has said to avoid victor reinz

• Like 1