Sign in to follow this  
nick496

E30 Touring electric rear window conversion

So since I had today off work, decided to look into converting the rear windows to electric. As it seems like most of the poverty spec tourings had electric fronts, and manual rear windows.

Didn't manage to find anything definitive about the process online (as most people either wanted to go to manual windows because racecar, or because they had all manual windows to start with, and no loom)

So before you get too excited, first take out your center console and peel back the carpet to see if you have provisions for all 4 windows on the rear.

post-15698-0-03353500-1450074654_thumb.j
(I got pretty excited at this point)

Then you need to source electric motors, and also the rear door loom. This runs from the B pillar through to the door.

You'll also need 4 window switches, and also the small switch that controls power to the rear of the loom. (All from a 4 door)

To make your life easy, you can also grab a centre console from a sedan also, so that you have the holes all ready to go.

post-15698-0-93471900-1450074654.jpg

So pull out your B pillar cover, and you'll see this connector hiding away

post-15698-0-85991100-1450074655_thumb.j

Just unplug it and pull it out. I found it easier to pull it all out via the door.

post-15698-0-45491900-1450074908_thumb.j

Then you'll need to remove the old regulator

If it's all working, just wind the window down until you can see these 2 bolts, and undo those

post-15698-0-08026400-1450074659.jpg

Electric verses Manual

post-15698-0-72773800-1450074662_thumb.j

Install of the electric windows is basically reverse of removal.

Only difference is that you need 3 nuts instead of 2 bolts.

Just to note, that the rear windows will only work if you have switches installed at both the center console, and in the door. As I think it runs a 12V circuit between them. You will also need to have the smaller switch in the loop. This basically just allows the 12V to run through the rear window circuit also.

Now you can enjoy your electric rear windows :)

Edited due to the attachment editor throwing a wobbly.
Edited by nick496
  • Like 3

Awesome! Am keen too get around to this once my project nears completion.

• Like 1

Interesting, so it already had the middle loom section up to the doors? Good info, I know someone who will find this useful and actually makes it alot more straightforward.