Sign in to follow this  
drc38

Mucking around with Japan Sat Nav

I realise from all the other posts I will need to replace and recode my CCC unit for a Euro-spec one if I want to have factory Satnav in NZ, however I thought I'd muck around with the unit first. Interestingly although I cannot enter the CCC navigation menu - I'm assuming because there is no BMW DVD in the drive? - I still get told I am approaching crash zones or railway crossings. So if anyone has a factory Japan DVD from a BMW professional CCC satnav they don't need send me a PM as I'm intrigued where in Japan I am! Also I want to see what the Satnav interface looks like before I invest in going that way over a portable unit.

Cheers

Turns out the CAPPL module had been altered to set the Nav type to navi_sv, when it was switched back to navi_jp I get the nav interface and japanese maps. I assume the interface and functionality on the euro / RoW nav is similar?

I know not much about this stuff to be honest. I can get into my Nav menu though.

Id love to have Satnav but cant justify changing the unit out just for that. If there was a way to code it (which I have all the software and cable for, but haven the time to play with it), I'd do it. Mine is an LCI so it has a lot of extra stuff coded to it already. All I really need to do is change the radio from Jap spec to NZ.

Interesting, I never new Satnav was a proprietary term I just assumed it meant satellite navigation and hence was short for GPS-based navigation.

I had some time today so pulled the Alpine unit out and interrogated the HDD which is in 3 partitions and appears to have maps on the first, a FSC code on the second and 1Gb of free space on the third.

If anyone is interested I can post the directory structures, as if the map files could be replaced with another regions in theory the unit should work outside of Japan. Given the unit was only available in Japan this may just be wishful thinking though... unless the Alpine unit was used by other car manufacturers in other countries?

Interesting, I never new Satnav was a proprietary term I just assumed it meant satellite navigation and hence was short for GPS-based navigation.

I had some time today so pulled the Alpine unit out and interrogated the HDD which is in 3 partitions and appears to have maps on the first, a FSC code on the second and 1Gb of free space on the third.

If anyone is interested I can post the directory structures, as if the map files could be replaced with another regions in theory the unit should work outside of Japan. Given the unit was only available in Japan this may just be wishful thinking though... unless the Alpine unit was used by other car manufacturers in other countries?

What year is your car? Mine is a 2007 LCI....has a hard drive nav unit in the boot, which is missing the drive itself. Got me perplexed whether t I can smack another drive in it with the structures set up right to NZ maps or use a Nav Cd to update it.