Sign in to follow this  
MD13

Anyone use Gull?

have you driven a VF SV6? They are NO SLUG, and the 300hp V6 was a genuine surprise, free-revving, torquey, and genuinely fabulous in the cut-and-thrust driving to get through traffic for that first 100kms north of Sydney.

Furthermore, they're built for Ethanol, up to and including e85.

The simple fact is, the Ethanol I put in the tank of the VF transformed it from a quick, smooth, powerfull full-size modern car that was fun to drive, into a slug.

Ethanol could be a great racing fuel where a vehicle is fully setup up for it (fuel lines, filters, flex-fuel sensor, fuel pump, ECU mapping etc); for the rest of us, it's a complete "have", foisted upon us by the corn lobby and greedy fuel companies.

Ask any boatie about Ethanol in fuel. They avoid it like the plague.

Sounds like something is broken if the car is setup for E85 but performs like crap

(I assume that the holden has all the those attributes you mentioned - fuel lines/ flex sensor/ecu mapping etc)

I have to calculate my blend , plug my laptop in and flash my ethanol map backend on the car - run some resets (octane reset , afr reset) then I'm good to go - so quite manual when I change fuels

I saw a 45-50hp gain / 80nm TQ on the dyno on E60 blend tune vs my 98 tune, I love running ethanol and if it was at more service stations, I would run it full time tbh

Edited by mod335
  • Like 1

have you driven a VF SV6? They are NO SLUG, and the 300hp V6 was a genuine surprise, free-revving, torquey, and genuinely fabulous in the cut-and-thrust driving to get through traffic for that first 100kms north of Sydney.

I agree. I've driven many of them as rentals and that V6 is excellent. Very responsive throttle makes them great around traffic and urban areas in general, and plenty of power.

Much more responsive throttle than any car that relies on a turbo to make similar power, including a 335i.

Sounds like something is broken if the car is setup for E85 but performs like crap

(I assume that the holden has all the those attributes you mentioned - fuel lines/ flex sensor/ecu mapping etc)

I have to calculate my blend , plug my laptop in and flash my ethanol map backend on the car - run some resets (octane reset , afr reset) then I'm good to go - so quite manual when I change fuels

I saw a 45-50hp gain / 80nm TQ on the dyno on E60 blend tune vs my 98 tune, I love running ethanol and if it was at more service stations, I would run it full time tbh

Given it was a rental with about 5000kms on the clock, I'm suggesting 'no, nothing was broken'. If you mean broken, as in 'something was not functioning as designed/built; an element or elements of the system were malfunctioning'.

I would not expect a production vehicle that is built and advertised to run on a wide-range of fuels to require re-sets and re-maps; this is the domain or performance modification, as is your case.

Interesting that you need to make those resets, though; from what little I've seen of the Haltech ECUs, their flex-fuel sensor tells provides detail of the fuel presented, for the ECU to decide most appropriate map to run. Are they alone in this area of aftermarket ECU tech?

cheers

No, my e30 runs a dta s80 with flex fuel sensor. Adjusts fuel and timing as required. Pretty sure link can do it aswell.