Sign in to follow this  
MD13

Anyone use Gull?

Saw diesel for 70c today.

I'd use Gull, but their unmanned stations don't accept my credit card. :(

Edit: This was in Te Irirangi Drive. I think 91 was $1.40.

Edited by gjm
  • Like 1

Forgot about this and went to fill up at gull as it was on the way. Cars were backed out the entrance, no thanks, would rather spend the extra dollar and save 30 mins of my life

• Like 1

my sister said disel was 77 c the other day.I am sure i paid over a dollar in welly the other day!

Filled up the 750i and then went straight back with the 740i. Filling up two 80 liter tanks that were both almost empty saved me approx $33. Definitely worth waiting in line for 5 mins.

• Like 1

Usually BP98. Yesterday however I filled up with Mobil8000 at $1.65/l.

Ace. That's what I need I run the stand ups on. Seems cheap

Edited by polley

Which fuel is better?

The 98 from gull, or the 98 from the other stations?

gull is variable quality i think.I beleieve they spot buy on the open market.So one batch of fuel may be different than the next.How much the quality varies i cant say.Wether or not the quality of the local fuelis better or not i cant say.But i dont feel good about putting unknown fuel into a crd.Probably pathetic on my part

• Like 1

See they back on sale - was like going back in time filling up for under a $100!

I know E10 makes no power diff in an NA car - but do you guys see any difference if you have boost?

I found this - interestingly puts some numbers to the efficiency argument.

These would work well if their was a good distribution network for them so one could be sure of getting it all the time. Good old 98

I don't like Gull as the mix ethanol into their fuel.

Mobil also mix Ethanol into their fuel. Accordingly I steer clear of Mobil & Gull. Boat users specifically told to avoid Ethanol fuels. With greater amount of water in fuel tanks due to condensation, filling with Ethanol blends is a *bad idea*. The ethanol emulsifies (makes 'mayonaise') with the water, sinks to the bottom of your tank, clogs your filter, f%cks up your injectors, stops your engine. There are plenty of BMW service bulletins on-line from the US detailing this phenomenon as well.

I use Caltex 95 or BP 98, FWIW. No ethanol. I don't know what Z uses; and I don't know what the acquisition of Caltex by Z is going to do to the fuel.

BP 98 is good when you can find it; bloody hassle in Rotorua recently, found BP station on my GPS, then found they didn't carry 98, so had to use website to find right station etc etc. /rant.

Perhaps you can use Ethanol blends in your modern (as in very recent) BMW. I avoid a world of pain by avoiding Ethanol blends.

Slightly off-topic, in Oz last year I tried different Ethanol fuels in my rented VF-SV6 Commode (it could handle all the way up to e85). lower pump price, way lower performance.

cheers

• Like 1

By lower performance do you mean less fuel economy? There's plenty of potential to make more power with the higher blends of ethanol.

I found this to be a good read talking about water absorption

http://epa.gov/OMS/regs/fuels/rfg/waterphs.pdf

by lower performance in the VF Commode I meant much more sluggish response to throttle, more difficulty in accelleration. Much worse than trying to run your BMW on ULP91. Had me wishing I'd spent more on PULP, as I was about to drive 600kms.

The corn lobby in the USA has done brilliantly with ethanol. Another product for the glut of corn grown in USA, besides feeding livestock. Hardy, relatively easy to grow. Never mind planting crops that people need to eat!

Edited by Olaf

It's a sv6 commonwhore, you could run it on moonbeams and it'd still be sluggish.

Ethanol is the bees knees if your engine is built and tuned for it.

It's a sv6 commonwhore, you could run it on moonbeams and it'd still be sluggish.

Ethanol, like LPG, can be excellent if the engine is properly set up for it. In some cases that can mean much more than just sorting the ignition timing.

My brother ran his bike on meths for a short period of time :D

Good for getting water out of the fuel system.

My brother ran his bike on meths for a short period of time :D

I have a mate who used to run crystal meth, while on his bike. :D

(Somehow, he survived, grew out of it, and got old!)

• Like 2

have you driven a VF SV6? They are NO SLUG, and the 300hp V6 was a genuine surprise, free-revving, torquey, and genuinely fabulous in the cut-and-thrust driving to get through traffic for that first 100kms north of Sydney.

Furthermore, they're built for Ethanol, up to and including e85.

The simple fact is, the Ethanol I put in the tank of the VF transformed it from a quick, smooth, powerfull full-size modern car that was fun to drive, into a slug.

Put your biases aside, go drive one at a Holden dealer. After reading for more than 30 years in the Australian motoring press the bullsh%t that the new 'insert new model here' commode was 'nearly as good as an E-class or 5 series', for the first time - in the case of the VF - they're right. I was wondering what they'd done to come up with a transmission control setup that was rarely confused, brakes that were powerful and steering and suspension that genuinely surprised me with its capability and feedback, more BMW-like than any other non-euro that I'd driven.

Ethanol could be a great racing fuel where a vehicle is fully setup up for it (fuel lines, filters, flex-fuel sensor, fuel pump, ECU mapping etc); for the rest of us, it's a complete "have", foisted upon us by the corn lobby and greedy fuel companies.

Ask any boatie about Ethanol in fuel. They avoid it like the plague.

Edited by Olaf

Yeah a family member had one, I drove it regularly.

Ethanol is hydroscopic, it makes sense not to use it in a boat