Sign in to follow this  
jonoe30

Ultra Racing Strut Brace

Is anyone here using an Ultra Racing front strut brace? Are they well made or? I see there is a NZ distributor selling them on trademe and they seem quite reasonably priced: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/suspension/auction-1010314512.htm%C2'>

​I'm just toying with the idea of fitting one to my E30iC to add some rigidity between the strut towers when I fit my Bilstein B8's this month (finally arrived!). I'm a pretty sedate driver (not sedated!), but can be spirited on the back roads... will fitting a strut brace have any noticeable difference to suspension performance? Or is the E30 pretty solid across that axis? (Obviously it's not the most solid of cars being a convertible!).

It'll help, but more gain will be had by fitting a cross-brace to connect the subframe to the chassis rails; this helps stabilise the chassis and reinforces the lower front end, significantly reducing chassis flex.

It'll cost more than a strut brace, but the benefits are significantly more, too. Of course, both is the ideal solution. :)

I had one on my E30, theyre so soft you'd get about as much benefit out of sticking a pool noodle between the strut towers, made out of some sort of cheese based alloy I figure. Also, pool noodle would fit better :D

Edited by Jacko

Sorry for late comment, just noticed this thread. I have Ultra Racing Bars fitted to front and rear struts in my E36 M3. Fit was good in E36, and they are stiff and I found them good value IMO. Seem less flexy than the common three piece aluminium ones. I also have X brace (subframe), which like gjm said arguably has more impact.

I think braces are most important for track work and particularly if running semi slicks and uprated suspension and loading up the struts. Not sure they'd be as noticeable for street.

Edited by Family Wagon

I was looking at getting that strut brace too, perhaps with an M3 x-brace or replica.

X brace is well documented to have the biggest gain on the E30 convertible. there is actually less tower movement in a cabby compared to a sedan/coupe because of the rigidty plates tying them to the outside of the car. insteal, the whole front end moves in relation to the back, this is what you want to stop, and need an underbody X brace to do so. remember its all extra weight to an already heavy car (about 1450kg stock). the cabbys just arent sports cars.