Sign in to follow this  
eliongater

e28 Stereo Advice

Come to think of it, still have bits of my old e21 system circa 87

Period correct aftermarket gear, nice!

Period correct aftermarket gear, nice!

Possibly showing age here, Brought this brand new along with a alpine tape player. Amps were 20,40 & 90 watts reflectivity. Considered high powered at the time. Bumper bolts used to come loose running a crewinvega in sub.

These days , 100 - 150 rms on components with 500 rms plus on bass becomes the norm.

I wouldn't put a class ab amp under the seats if more the 60 rms btw unless it has a massive heatsink or the air can easily be extracted. ( if you like your music louder). Amp may run on the hot side which will shorten its life.

Edited by Neal

I had an Alpine 3516 back in the day, running Alpine 3-way 6.5". Couldn't afford an Alpine head unit. Bought it from the first incarnation of the Car Stereo Company on Willis Street. Happy days.

Possibly showing age here, Brought this brand new along with a alpine tape player. Amps were 20,40 & 90 watts reflectivity. Considered high powered at the time. Bumper bolts used to come loose running a crewinvega in sub.

These days , 100 - 150 rms on components with 500 rms plus on bass becomes the norm.

I wouldn't put a class ab amp under the seats if more the 60 rms btw unless it has a massive heatsink or the air can easily be extracted. ( if you like your music louder). Amp may run on the hot side which will shorten its life.

Yeah those class AB amps do get hot, I'm running 150w rms x2 on my front components with low gain settings to prevent damaging the speakers and it still gets pretty toasty. It's mounted upside down so not entirely ideal for heat dissipation.

500w rms is probably ideal for bass, I have 1800w available and it's just too much for blending with music. I have to turn the sub level down and even then it's still quite bass heavy. At least I can get some decent output in a sedan with the rear seats folded up and sealing the trunk but rattles can be an issue.

Whilst I like your idea in concept Olaf, cassettes are just so inconvenient (and by inconvenient, read bugger that!).

Myself, I'd find an older, original type cassette unit, find appropriate schematic, fudge an input into the board and feed with an ipod or similar. Preferably with pre-out.

One day I'll follow my own advice ha.

Maaaate, where's the commitment?! It's green too, tapes are free at your recycling centre. #8 )

It's almost time to revist this :D

But now I've got more things to play with. Current parts include:

• Several period correct BMW headunits
  • Period correct Alpine HU, that apparently came in the Countach
  • Existing 2010's Sony CD HU
  • 2 possbily period correct or 2000's amps
  • 2 sets of factory tweeter pods
  • Rear premium speakers
  • Front premium speakers
  • Rear standard speakers
  • Front standard speakers
  • 5.25" (I think) Cerwin Vega speakers with custom housing to fit an e28 footwell
  • Some random aftermarket tweeters if I can remove them from my M535i
  • Possibly a 10" Sub of some kind
  • 6x9's coming out of my ears, plus 2 sets of custom housings to fit them into an e28

Of course most of that isn't particularly useful, but it's a start

I can also most likely get my hands on a 90's Blaupunkt HU with CD stacker (currently in a friends e36 glovebox)

Edited by eliongater
  • Like 1

Elijah, I am in the same boat as you.  I have an aftermarket Nakamichi CD player but I am planning to replace it with a tape player.  A tape player just looks right in an E24/E28/E30.  I am planning on ordering some tapes too - Pink Floyd, Dire Straits, Metallica...

the holy grail is of course an 80's Nakamich car deck.  Their cassette decks were beautiful, great mechs, great sound.  Rohan if you're going Dire Straits, best to stick to the 70's output!

Had one of those in my 1985 323i

ran the gear posted earlier as not a lot of output from factory unit.

if adding an aftermarket amp check that it has enough gain as the early pre out Din plug Alpines put out 500 millivolt. These do have 4 channel out.