Sign in to follow this  
kwhelan

Peter Jacksons War memorial well worth the visit

Wife and I killed couple of days in wellington and went and saw the displays at Te Papa and War memorial.

Both thoroughly enjoyed, I preferred the war museum and wife preferred Te Papa but learnt so much and we came out of both feeling quite sick and teary.

decided I would have lasted 5 mins in those conditions partly because I question everything and would have had a problem blindly following orders.

Really angry at the needless waste of lives by guys playing chess at the top. 4 years to try and take a f*$king hill then pack up and go home.

So grateful I was born at a later time and didn't have to see my kids sent off to war, damn that made you think hard with a lump in your throat.

but for the grace of god.

A new found respect for those that went and the subsequent Anzac parades just because of my previous ignorance levels.

Confirmed my distrust of authority, those bloody recruitment posters and bullshit

Amazed at the wax figures ,preferred the real size ones at museum and kept waiting for one to move. Genius

For anyone at a lose end, take the trip had to queue for an hour to get in at TePapa but no props at war museum.

Both free too

• Like 2

i went through on its unveiling on Anzac Day last year. its very good

I wasnt alive niether were my pearants. got to wonder how much people back home actually knew about it all etc. waste of life, but the world hasnt learnt a thing in all of it. and does the same crap today.

Been watching the series WW2 lost film on lightbox. Kind of like the real " Band of Brothers" . Film footage is real and I can only imagine the hell that war brings.

Didn't know that much about the Pacific war before yet met a number of USA pacific war vets over the years. Small islands where 10,000 plus people dying at a time.........

Worth watching but very grim at times.

If in London the imperial war museum is a must visit. Went to a holocaust exhibition as told from a kids POV. Wasn't a dry eye to be seen.

my dad was in ww2,in fact met my mum in the UK and came back here in 1944 after being wounded.

The thing that i cant understand is a generation of parents who would have been involved in WW1 would have seen their sons go of to ww2.How on earth could it happen.

• Like 1

The thing that i cant understand is a generation of parents who would have been involved in WW1 would have seen their sons go of to ww2.How on earth could it happen.

I have thought that too, but people didnt have a choice if they were or not, if the government picked you you had to go right?

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

I guess so,and people were much less informed,i bet they had a different view,before than after.but all that had gone before seemed forgotten