Sign in to follow this  
tankguy

Trailer transport from Auckland to Christchurch

Having upsized my race car before Xmas, I needed a larger trailer to transport the car. I've just bought a trailer in Auckland and have a crate full of spares for the car that also need to get to Christchurch.

I need the trailer in Christchurch no later than 28 January.

My options are:

1. Find someone who is driving to Christchurch and compensate them for towing my trailer.

2. Hire a car and drive it myself. Finding a rental car that has a towbar and doesn't extort for one way hire may be a problem.

3. Have the trailer (loaded with crate of parts) transported. Best price for this option seems to be around $1k so hoping to avoid this.

I'd be grateful for any other suggestions or offers of assistance. Thanks

Peter

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry I cant help, but transport for $1k is not too bad once you get your head around it. I have done this twice in the last year, once in NZ and once in Australia, and ended up on a transporter both times. It was similar money.

Getting across on the ferry is several hundred and by the time you add gas costs, time, getting there to start the journey etc in Option 2, the freight starts to look not too bad. One way charges on rentals are high and normally anything with a towbar has a high mileage charge for anything above about 100km/day.

Obviously the best is Option 1, if you can find it. Good luck.