Sign in to follow this  
M5V8

Some pls shoot BMWs marketing team

Enough is enough....

post-5771-0-98023300-1452579651_thumb.pn

The numbers probably bear little or no relationship to the engine size anyway.

• Like 2

it's reverse psychology at work. BMW are expecting more punters to check the 'badge delete' option on the order sheets.

• Like 1

X440i

done.

But there will be a 4 series 440i, and no doubt they'll make a 4WD drive one which would either be a 440ix or a 440i x drive?

BMW just need to stop. :/

i really liked bmw's model designation system up until the e90-era

why is the new f30 328i called a 3-2-8 when its a 3 series with a 2L engine? cuz it has a turbo.. must change the 0 into an 8. Yes, that will solve all our problems!

but the 335i must be a 3-3-5 because its a 3 series with a 3L engine and TWO turbos so must make it a 5 on the end. *hi 5 marketing team*

• Like 2

I understand the need to alter the configuration to reflect things as PWR levels change but its now out of control.

What would be appropriate is the series followed by the kw level or spec level if engine size isn't the direction they are moving in.

IE. 315d 3 series 150kw diesel. Then you can M badge it for motorsport model as applicable.

This just makes it embarrassing and extremely confusing as to what the hell you are driving, or maybe that's the point

But there will be a 4 series 440i, and no doubt they'll make a 4WD drive one which would either be a 440ix or a 440i x drive?

That'll be the 4x4x4i.

• Like 1

Can see why people are struggling with this, it does take a bit to get your head around, but it's not that hard really!

FWIW it is primarily driven by the Asian markets where bigger = better.

• Like 1

FWIW it is primarily driven by the Asian markets where bigger = better.

Compensating for something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i really liked bmw's model designation system up until the e90-era

why is the new f30 328i called a 3-2-8 when its a 3 series with a 2L engine? cuz it has a turbo.. must change the 0 into an 8. Yes, that will solve all our problems!

but the 335i must be a 3-3-5 because its a 3 series with a 3L engine and TWO turbos so must make it a 5 on the end. *hi 5 marketing team*

Wonder if their maketeers have keyboards missing the letter t or something...

Their Motorsport division should revoke authority to use the ///M - it's undermining brand value. If it doesn't start with ///M then ///M can't be used. Period.

X4 40i is fine (I assume it's a 4.0 litre?). Anybody that cares knows that sticking on some plastic or suspension bits doesn't deserve an ///M badge.

• Like 1

It DOES start with an M, it's an M40i. Part of the M Performance sub-brand, same as the M135i, M235i and M50d.

The issue is a bit confused in NZ due to the old M325i designation, which was a local NZ only thing, which people still remember.

The last two digits refer to the "equivalent" engine size, so a 2.0 litre with a low level tune = 320i, a two litre with the medium tune is equivalent to a 2.5 litre = 325i and the highest level of tune is equivalent to a 3.0 litre = 330i.

In this case the M40i is the 3ltr six cylinder with highest level of tune, same as the 340i and 440i.

Edited by E30 325i Rag-Top

It DOES start with an M, it's an M40i. Part of the M Performance sub-brand, same as the M135i, M235i and M50d.

The issue is a bit confused in NZ due to the old M325i designation, which was a local NZ only thing, which people still remember.

The last two digits refer to the "equivalent" engine size, so a 2.0 litre with a low level tune = 320i, a two litre with the medium tune is equivalent to a 2.5 litre = 325i and the highest level of tune is equivalent to a 3.0 litre = 330i.

In this case the M40i is the 3ltr six cylinder with highest level of tune, same as the 340i and 440i.

You obviously can't see.

I'll "spell it out" it for you:

X - 4 - ///M - 4 - 0 -i

Now, if it started with an "M", it would actually start with an "M". See my logic there?

And if "40" means "3 litre" then how the f are people meant to work that out?

It's seriously stupid as are arguments trying to defend it.

It's far more sensible to say - "it's marketing rubbish with no real world meaning because, unless you have inside knowledge, it's impossible to decode". Which could be cool, if you're a BMW groupie.

And let's be honest, none of us wants a proliferation of BMW groupies. Least of all on this forum.

• Like 1

Mercedes did the same thing. For instance, the 200CDi was exactly the same mechanical engine as the 220CDi with a 2148cc displacement, but the 220 got a different ECU.

They then muddied the waters further by introducing a 280CDi which actually 2987cc (3 litres, in old money) and a 320CDi which was the same engine as the 280, but with different tuning.

I'm sure it makes life easier for those poor fitter monkeys in the display workshops when they have less engines to work on, but I wonder what it does to resale values? Would you pay $000s more for a "320CDi" when the "280CDi" does the same thing after 30 seconds with a programmer?

And I'm not suggesting there should be a literal connection between designation and displacement.

But the designation should be meaningful to people other than BMW's marketing department.

• Like 1

And if "40" means "3 litre" then how the f are people meant to work that out?.

I'll type this slowly so you can follow...

40 does NOT mean 3 litre, it means an engine with a power output EQUIVALENT to a 4.0 ltr engine. And as such, it is more powerful than a 35i which is more powerful than a 30i even though they all have the same capacity.

Purely and simply it is a way of showing "my one is bigger than yours", yes it is marketing spin and I am so very sorry if trying to explain the system behind it has offended your sensibilities.

The last two digits = the engine size has not been the rule since the E28 525e but some people still think it is the case.

• Like 1

So whys is it "X5 M50d" following the X and Z convention, but when comes to the normal cars follow a different convention,

a M135i or M235i should be 1 M35i and 2 M35i

I'll type this slowly so you can follow...

I hope that didn't take you too long... the speed of your typing doesn't affect my comprehension. ;)

40 does NOT mean 3 litre, it means an engine with a power output EQUIVALENT to a 4.0 ltr engine.

Which 4.0 litre engine? Seems some guesswork is involved. At least a capacity based designation was absolute and comprehensible by all. This system seems to be useful for German engineers, BMW nerds and pretentious pricks, that's all.

Purely and simply it is a way of showing "my one is bigger than yours", yes it is marketing spin and I am so very sorry if trying to explain the system behind it has offended your sensibilities.

Not offended at all, that would be silly. Just concerned that BMW have chosen to ignore their roots, and their enthusiast base by transitioning to a "marketing" language from a "practical" language without providing a knowledge pathway for their faithful. That's just poor form.

Dave, what Jon and BMW are saying is that a new 2.0L turbo engine (whatever the designation is N something something) is far more powerfull than say an M54B30 in an E46 330i.

for someone who wants to buy a BMW but doesnt understand them, why would they trade thier E46 330i in on a F whatever 320i? when they know the old 320i was a pile.

BMW need to subliminally get the message across the newer car is better and more power full

as much as we might not like to admit it, BMW is a company that sells new cars.

keeping enthusiests with 20 year old "obsolete" cars happy doesnt pay the bills.

getting people to trade in thier old one and buy a new one does, and I can see why they need a "better" badge to do so.

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_
  • Like 2

Look, don't get me wrong guys, I do understand and I don't want to seem objectionable - and most certainly I don't want to be offensive! I could care less what BMW do nowadays, I gave up caring about their cars (except some of the M cars) in about 2004. They're a commodity now unfortunately.

Any offence was not intended and I apologise if it was construed.

I don't agree with the current convention, I think it's more complicated than necessary and believe it requires a level of interpretation and understanding that's beyond most, even the enthusiast.

As suggested earlier, there's a better way of achieving BMW's marketing aims if they want to play with numbers - use kw's - X4 215 (or whatever) is more powerful than X4 175 etc.

• Like 1

come on lads, this is not new.

consider, if you will, the e23 745i.

Oh! It was a 3.2 or 3.4l six with a KKK hairdryer on the side. Turbo gave about 1.4 x displacement.

Whatever - it's just a rationale. You were comfortable with it previously. It seemed to make sense. What does it really matter?

• Like 1