Sign in to follow this  
M5V8

Some pls shoot BMWs marketing team

Just add a digit and write the peak HP.

Oh hang on, that's not going to work, cos the torque curve is important. Best convert a dyno run to a csv file and write that out on there.

Or, be logical and write the engine size + a T if it is turbo. Having the badge indicate a tuned ECU is way too pretentious.

I can sort of see their ///M rational to put it after the X5, because if done 'properly' it would end up being an ///MX5 *shudders*

• Like 1

The problem has got worse, now that there are only 3 engine sizes. 1.5 ltr, 2.0 ltr and 3 ltr. Having only 3 models in each range would be a bit thin.

Kw would be a pain, as the models would change so often (with TUD etc.) and I would say even more confusing.

Seen a ///M 318Ti today, looked more legit than this stuff...

• Like 1

So whys is it "X5 M50d" following the X and Z convention, but when comes to the normal cars follow a different convention,

a M135i or M235i should be 1 M35i and 2 M35i

Yeah, gets messy across the different ranges as well!! I think it comes from the older models numbers, such as 320i showing it's Series, as in 3 Series in this case, and the model, the 20i all in the one number.

So, when the newer X and Z ranges were introduced a different system was used, so you get an X5 30d instead of a 530d, or a Z3 28i instead of a 328i. So the newer system kind of has two numbers, and someone has decided to plonk the M in the middle, before the model.. So yeah, bit weird, you get an M550d (LHD only unfortunately) or an X5 M50d.

And I thought the Germans were supposed to be logical...

It'll be an accounting statistical analysis that says the drivers of Remuera tractors (Chelsea tractors - insert location as relevant) feel more important when the name of their vehicle is less comprehensible.

Besides, by splitting the designation into two parts, it opens a door for more parts, making the driver feel even more important.

Roll on the X5 M50dTT Bavaria cabriolet.

Why do they have to stuff all the letters on the back on one side.

In the 80/90s, Mercedes 190CE 2.5-16 Cosworth is across two corners.

First gen X5 has just X5 on the boot and 3.0 /4.4, etc on the front quarters.

Problem solved.

Because the "xDrive" badges go on the sides... And to leave room for all the TradeMe M badges to be stuck on!

Its too long for most peoples attention span.

Shoot youd be stuffed at a party if you had dislexia youd never know what the hell you were bragging on about. I drive a XXL4XM40LMX04iXXXX?? awww crap it's the silver one blocking the drive way.

Let alone tourettes....

• Like 3

I drove a 218i a couple of days ago and that had a "Luxury" badge on the front wings. A bit tasteless, I thought...

Shoot youd be stuffed at a party if you had dislexia ...

Shoot you'd be stuffed at a party if you didn't have dyslexia!

Only a wanker would say I drive a "X5 M 50d". If you have one, the only correct answers to the question "what do you drive?" are either "an oversized vehicle" or "a X5". If somebody is interested enough in a follow up question you can read them the rest of the alphabet whilst everybody else moves on to a different group.

• Like 2