Sign in to follow this  
Mr Vapour

What i do in the shed. E21 restomod.

Hi guys.

Starting thread for the little black E21.

IMAG0202_1.jpg

It's a 1982 320/6 with cosmetic changes as per the photo.

This is how I brought it. It had been in the body shop where it was rust removed and painted. Not sure how high a quality the rust work was but it's straight so I'm not going togo looking till I have a reason.

Currently has a sportline steering wheel pioneer head and 6x9.

Seats are out of a early 90s fxgt and are much better than the factory seats of craps.

E30 boot spoiler and a set of 17s

Looks cool. Needswork but I'm happy putting around for a bit.

I also have a 323i parts car. The plan was to sell black and keep restore the 323i.The 323.was meant to have the lsd but no it's got the big sway bars, rear disc and bigger front struts.

But realisticly it's to far gone for me and it's full of rust and poo. Been repainted 3 times and has had a few non welded rust repairs.

And all.of the desirable bits on the 323 are comming off and bbeing up graded. So no need for the 323......but it will still have it's uses .

My plan is a little different.

As of today I have an amazing little 18 day old girl.

I have seen to many projects for sale due to kids comming along, not enough time, loss of motivation etc etc

The plan is to keep the 320 as is, make it more reliable, upgrade the seats, tidy up the carpet, fix some rust and some leaks . But the plan is to keep it on the road so I can still enjoy it on weekends and go to events. Keep the car fresh in my mind so I can't just lock the shed door and walk away.

The 323 is going to get stripped and parts sold off to fund the build. What is left of the shell will be used to mock up the modifications in preperation for the big rebuild.

So I have been collecting parts and researching, researching, researching.

Edited by mrbrockzila
  • Like 2

Sooooo

Research Told me the brakes and diff were not up to it, I needed to replace all the bushes, and that wheels are hard to get in the correct offset.

So what to do.

Go shopping .

O

I sold my boat to buy the car, a motorcycle bike and have a bunch more stuff for sale.

So parts purchased so far

Parts for 5 lug conversion

E28 late subframe trailing arms with midcase 3.6 LSD

E24 rear brakes. may look into e34 items .

E24 front hubs and brakes . Vt to vy Holden calipers and discs work on an e21 with a small 3mm spacer with a hubcentric So.am hoping they will still work. Big discs easy to find and the calipers are not a bad weight for the result

I have a set of black seats out of a Honda Integra. Not recaros but notfar off I. Terms of support Real nice condition with base/rails that will be able to be used with the factory rails or easy modified floor.

A m50b20 more on this to come.

I have a set of fortune 500 coilovers deposit paid .

Got a mig and gas

Twisted wire wheels

Epoxy primer .

Currently building a sand blaster and redesigning my shed lay out .

I'm sure there are other things as well .

The e28 rear end once modified is about 2 inches wider than std. And I like dish. I have been told that e36 wheels will work on the rear having a high offset, but the front needs a very low offset.

Need to check this for my self.

But im liking the idea if 17x10" rear wheels and group 2/2002 turbo style fender flairs.

It's getting cage at some stage also .

if any one has a motorsport front around please let me know. idealy im after a glass one that has seen better days that needs repairing so i dont feel to bad about making mods or one that i can make a mould off end

Edited by mrbrockzila

So I have the m50b20.

Yes I know, its only a 2000 and its also a m50 not a m52 so is real heavy.

But it is about 30 hp up on the factory m20b20 carb I have now.

The plan is to fit the m50, wire it up , sort cooling system and exhaust and have it running. Then once I have the money simply swap the motor over to a m52 in b25 or b28 config . im thinking the b28 im aiming for about 200hp so an exhaust chip and vanos delete should put me in the ball park im after.

Now here is where I need help.

Are the b20 and b28 the same block and head? so have the same external measurements.

Are the exhaust manifllds the same spacing and bolt patterns for all the different sizes.

These motor is one1. Advantages of obd1 vs obd2.

Im hoping that i have the running b20 then i can simply drop in the b28 change the ecu and the wiring to run the m50 intake and hit the ground running.

Is this going to work or am I going to have to redo a bunch of work to make the bigger motor work .

I will.also need a e34 sump and pick up .

Edited by mrbrockzila

Do you have a bonnet hinge mechanism for sale off your donor car, i need the 2 brackets that hold the ends of the torsion springs in front of the radiator. Cheers, and good luck with the project, its always good to see an e21 being saved from the scrapyard.

Yep they are yours if you want them. Pay me what you think they are worth .

Id love to save this 323 from the scrap but it's just too far gone. I may if I have funds turn it in to a skid car for dirt track.

Can you get me a link or pic of what you want. The bonnet is off already so may have to search .Just want to be sure I get what your looking for

Yeah I'm quite sure they are in an ice cream container in the car .How much of a hurry are you .I'm completely reconfigure my shed at the moment and the donor is piled with stuff.

No panic, but i would like to get it sorted by the end of the month if possible.

Yes, and full of holes. I pinched 2 off the project to get the other project under way, but am still keen to get more.

When the po removed the bonet he left the whole hinge assembly in the car so it's still bolted in there

Might be easier if i can come around and check , pm me if that suits, or i can just buy the whole hinge assembly if its easier.

Been busy not doing much on the car, but been doing lots around the car . 

IMAG0874.jpg
So I pulled the m20b23 out of the rusty 323. It's 4speed which is disappointing. T thought it was but now I know . The motor is going down to Hastings to aid duddly get his stroke on. 

I also sold the motor that I had sitting on the stand, 2.0l iron has been replaced with 2.8 alloy. 
IMAG0870.jpg

I  have lots of parts that need to be cleaned. And I have always wanted a media blaster.

So I have reclaimed some panels that have been left on the road side. Used an old stainless sink and have started. It's currently riveted, once I get a new liner for my mig and I'm happy I'll make some holes and plug weld it. But my cheap Chinese rivet gun broke.  I also need to fold up the top. Need to sort out some 900 long angle stock to make the folds or better a long folding brake. 

IMAG0873.jpg

Next up I performed some biopsy so see how bad the cancer was under the paint. 

Looked in the common spots on one side.  Found bog but no reason for it. Will see when I strip it right back 

IMAG0869.jpg

IMAG0868.jpg

IMAG0867.jpg

IMAG0866.jpg

IMAG0865.jpg

That is quite annoying a patch lap joint and not on the entire section so now under the bogg rust holes.

Enough for now. 

Oh and I have also been doing this 

IMAG0828.jpg

IMAG0830.jpg

And allot of time with this one 

IMAG0838.jpg
I need new photos. She's got so much more hair now.

• Like 3

I'm curious about your media blaster.

Can you put up more info?

I've always wanted to build one too.

Got these if you want them, left over from a project, 20 x 20 x 1200, 1.2 thick, have 12 left. PM if you're interested

angles.jpg

On 8/1/2016 at 3:28 PM, zero said:

I'm curious about your media blaster.

Can you put up more info?

I've always wanted to build one too.

What do you want to know. 

I'm kind of Making it up as I go along.  It's made out of a real-estate sign that was out side a property well after it sold and the new owner pulled it down and dumped it. 

It's 945X460mm X650

I'm going cut the holes for the doors and windows, then fit  Angle so I can get the shape and also cover he sharp edgesll around the door and windows with car door rubbers to seal the dust in. 

I'm using a sink as the hopper as I want to be able to change media . Now I will just pull the plug sweep and blow out the cabnet, replace with a new media and blast away.

Lots of people rely on pressure for blasting but it's volume of air.  I have two compressors,  one small one mid.  I also have a tank from a large Compressor that I'm going to use as a dump tank to provide the volume and pressure.  

A vacuum cleaner on the side to extract and a mate showed me a vortex thing that goes in between the vacuum  it separates media from the extracted air. 

Umm gloves are cheap and easy to find,  blast guns are easy aswell.

I bit of glass with a film so it can be protected.

Any thing else you want to know .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

• Like 1