Sign in to follow this  
NZ152

Not my car but oh my goodness...

The ultimate race cars in my opinion... I remember these from the heydey of the BTCC in the early - mid 90s.

www.speedhunters.com/2016/01/bmw-things-early-90s/

I would love to see this car racing or indeed any other here in NZ - are there many others around?

I have recently been watching the mid 90s btcc races on you tube, there are a few on there and it is fantastic racing, with some fantastic cars (and drivers) would be awesome to see more of them coming out of retirement and getting used again. (The cars, not so much the drivers)

Memories of the Nissan Mobil on the Wgtn waterfront, best damn event EVER!

Peugeot MI16 screaming its head off at the hairpin, honestly awesome. Scorched in my memory

• Like 1

The Historic Touring Cars (NZ) Association is developing this class for racing at Classic and Historic meetings in NZ. Touring Cars with period racing history are welcome to join our group and while the time line reflects the Wellington Street Race era this is by no means exclusive. PM me for further info.

Next meeting is the Skope Historic meeting in Christchurch and features over 30 cars along with noted drivers of the period Jim Richards, Tony Longhurst and Gianfranco Brancatelli. 5 - 7 February. Then 19 - 21 February at Teretonga.

• Like 3

Thank you Murray, I will be sure to check out those meetings.

I see from the comments in the article that there are others in the country too - just brilliant. Amazing cars & looking forward to seeing them out on the circuit.

Yup, there are some amazing pieces of historic racing in little-ol' New Zealand, especially in South Island. I think there are 3 or 4 of the E36 STW plus the BTCC ex-Vic Lee E36 amongst a host of others.

Was lucky enough to see a good number of them come up to Manfield for the MG Classic in Novembet, a very good grid of cars.