Sign in to follow this  
Joel61

[Tut] How to install a Android tablet as a head deck in your car

@Gabe79 if you like Arduinos, look at my latest thread :D

Also you have any 2013 n7 there? 

check out timurs kernel on reddit, hundreds of users discussing this. can even be made to work with the original steering controls, plenty of bmw installs

Things I have learnt from my install now 2 years on but in a skyline ,

buy timers kernel ,it converts your tablet to a permanent power state with all the power states needed automatically

reverse camera support proper audio out support etc they have thought of everything and he has great support, pretty much essential and not expensive

much better than fiddling with tasker

buy a cheap 12 -5v power buck from eBay to feed tablet and all accessories like usb DAC, reverse camera, usb drives etc don't muck around with weak power like usb convertor approx $10 

research which usb dac you buy , latest android software doesn't support 48kbit any more so you need 96kbit

tablets don't like heat and shut down when overheated so sunny afternoon after work , tablet is dead until you can cool it down by running a/c, very annoying in Hawkes Bay, removing battery from tablet permanently helps so its 12v only, towel over makes no difference, car is just too hot

Mine is permanently wired into original  cars stereo amp and speakers so car stereo volume controls still all work, 7port usb hub feeds hidden external hard drive with movies and mp3s 

has cheap eBay reverse camera, $25

has extra usb and bluetooth inputs,  $20

has cheap bluetooth OBD2 connected   $25

has external feed to feed signal from original onboard screen, now removed to tablet so heater controls etc still work

5 minutes ago, kwhelan said:

check out timurs kernel on reddit, hundreds of users discussing this. can even be made to work with the original steering controls, plenty of bmw installs

buy timers kernel ,it converts your tablet to a permanent power state with all the power states needed automatically

reverse camera support proper audio out support etc they have thought of everything and he has great support, pretty much essential and not expensive

buy a cheap 12 -5v power buck from eBay to feed tablet and all accessories like usb DAC, reverse camera, usb drives etc don't muck around with weak power like usb convertor approx $10 

research which usb dac you buy , latest android software doesn't support 48kbit any more so you need 96kbit

tablets don't like heat and shut down when overheated so sunny afternoon after work , tablet is dead until you can cool it down by running a/c, very annoying in Hawkes Bay, removing battery from tablet permanently helps so its 12v only, towel over makes no difference, car is just too hot

Mine is permanently wired into original  cars stereo amp and speakers so car stereo volume controls still all work, 7port usb hub feeds hidden external hard drive with movies and mp3s 

has extra usb and bluetooth inputs,  $20%

3 hours ago, Joel61 said:

@zero thats quite interesting, turns out it's just a tablet (like mine) but it's a app that his ECU made, so it's purpose built which is quite cool! 

I'm pretty sure that Haltech has something similar, but I dont think its able to run other apps like maps etc;

http://www.haltech.com/haltech-dashes-data-logging/

2 hours ago, kwhelan said:

has external feed to feed signal from original onboard screen, now removed to tablet so heater controls etc still work

Have you tried putting a thermally controlled fan behind the tablet.

Hook it to ignition so when you first start the car if the tablet is too hot the fan blasts it.

Wouldn't matter if it was a really powerful loud fan as it wouldn't run for long.

3 hours ago, kwhelan said:

I just realized my post messed up and all it did was quote yours haha. anyway what I said was. I really do need to make this update video because I am using his kernel now (I am actually friends with him) and I am using a n7 2013 now as well. After my exams finish (around the end of june) I will make an update video. because I am 100% happy with what I have now since I dont have any weird issues or any little quirks that bug me. Thanks for your post

37 minutes ago, zero said:

I'm pretty sure that Haltech has something similar, but I dont think its able to run other apps like maps etc;

http://www.haltech.com/haltech-dashes-data-logging/

Yeah thats just a digital dash, it doesn't run android or anything. You use them in racecars. We use one in our V8 Touring car 

7 hours ago, Joel61 said:

@Gabe79 if you like Arduinos, look at my latest thread :D

Also you have any 2013 n7 there? 

I have one 2012 and one 2013 left. I sold two 2012s recently. 2013 has a nice fresh battery now, actually works. ;p

If I was mounting one of these as a dash/radio/console, I'd do the no-battery module though.

7 hours ago, Gabe79 said:

I have one 2012 and one 2013 left. I sold two 2012s recently. 2013 has a nice fresh battery now, actually works. ;p

If I was mounting one of these as a dash/radio/console, I'd do the no-battery module though.

I have done  a write up on how to do that as well but on the n7carputer.freeforums.net forums.  but in the end personally for mine I keep the battery in and did a modification to it so it is trickle charging to 85% when the car is off so it is always charged 

Don't have a picture of my 2013 mod, but I basically did the same to my 2012 which you can see here 

Edited by Joel61

11 hours ago, zero said:

Have you tried putting a thermally controlled fan behind the tablet.

Hook it to ignition so when you first start the car if the tablet is too hot the fan blasts it.

Wouldn't matter if it was a really powerful loud fan as it wouldn't run for long.

fan cooling blowing 40+ air over it would be hopeless 

cooling it isnt the problem the aircon ducts go right past it and only takes 2min or so but doesn't affect the problem, its still doesnt just go when you hop in the car, it is so hot to touch you can basically burn your fingers on the screen somedays,tablets just reboots over and over till it cools.

they were never built with that intended purpose if I was doing it again I would buy an android model in single or double din. just better made for the purpose, much easier to run handsfree, bluetooth phones etc, they have a tuner etc, the android interface isn't built to handle a lot of complicated inputs, the otg connection has limitations the built in bluetooth can't do audio streaming, theres a multitude of issues, some fixable with lots of accessories but some not. the hardware devices are a mix of android and standard car stereo but I could never justify dynavin type prices

Edited by kwhelan

Just to add to this, I saw this video on a tablet dash today.

Tablet dash stuff starts at about 12min 45secs in;