Sign in to follow this  
WillEyedowin

Japanese Import Evo 7,8,9 Question

Not sure if this is appropriate for these forums(feel free to remove if it isn't) but I figured someone would be able to help here.

Been considering importing a Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution 7, 8, or 9 over the past few weeks and i've done a bit of research and found the average cost of buying one through the auctions or online listings etc.

But I contacted an Japanese car importer that is on trade me, and he told me that they weren't allowed to import them.

I asked why and he gave me this answer:
"It is for NZ emission standards. They are very strict.."

So I tried to do some more research but didn't really find anything that backed what he said up. I tried to look on NZTA's website and use their 'Fuel Consumption Import Statement' online checking to see if it is allowed, but didn't have enough information for it to work.

So I've come here to ask if anyone knows whether it actually isn't possible to import an Evo 7,8 or 9 into NZ because of NZ emissions standards.

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers

Hmm...had also looked into importing over the last year, and last week i asked about a E36 M3 to be imported but was told tbe vehicle wasn't able to be imported due to NZ restrictions... Although...correct me if i'm wrong here, i was in the understanding that you can import any vehicle, but it doesn't mean you are legally allowed to drive / attempt to register it on our roads? Also the 20 year classical age status must be valid for registering a vehicle over that stupid 12 yr age limit for importing. Anyway you are bound to get the answer from someone on here, cheers.

hey Will, google is your friend, mate. I searched with a pretty random "vehicle imports new zealand NZTA emissions standards" and got the following string back vehicle imports new zealand NZTA emissions standards which, somewhat interestingly, featured these results:

Used Vehicles from Japan

Environmental Standards for Vehicles

Emissions

and Technical bulletin 28 – Exhaust emissions standards compliance

Could be challenging. Why not buy a BMW instead? #; ) I'm not biased.

Edited by Olaf

You will be able to import a 2008 Evo X as they are Euro IV. You could go the SIV route if you can find an Evo IX RS but you will be paying a premium. That also goes for a few other Evo models that have build numbers less than 20,000. Do your homework, SIV is dead easy if you have the facts.

Table 11-2-2. Approved exhaust emission standards for used petrol-, CNG- and LPG-powered vehicles certified for use on New Zealand roads on or after 3 January 2008

Certified for entry into service

Approved vehicle emissions standards

Light vehicles Heavy vehicles

On or after 1 January 2012

(Note 7)

LIGHT VEHICLES:

ADR 79/02, or

Euro 4, or

Japan 05, or

US 2004

HEAVY VEHICLES

ADR 80/02, or

Euro IV, or

Japan 05, or

US 2004

That's your baseline. If you're not Euro4 compliant, then you need to find the 'get out of jail' loopholes (like SIV). HTH.
Edited by Olaf

Thanks for the replies, unfortunately still got lots of questions/queries

I was wondering whether, in relation to e36_Turbo's comment :" i was in the understanding that you can import any vehicle, but it doesn't mean you are legally allowed to drive / attempt to register it on our roads?"

If I could potentially either get a better Catalytic converter installed either in japan or in NZ before i try to get it registered in the hopes that it may pass the emissions level it needs with a better Cat in it? Or is the emissions purely based on the model of the car and they don't actually test its emissions before rejecting it?

Also had a look at the SIV option, noticed that on the "Previously granted vehicles list" there were:
Mitsubishi Lancer 2005

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 3 RS 1995

Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution III CE9A 1994

And the requirements for SIV say that it must meet 3 of these 4 options:

The vehicle (or its make, model and submodel) is identified as being a collector's item in one of the following magazines or their respective websites – Australian classic car, Car and driver (US), Automobile (US), Motor (Australia), Motor trend (US), New Zealand autocar, New Zealand classic car, Road and track (US), Top gear (UK), Top gear NZ,Unique cars (Australia) or Wheels (Australia).
The vehicle's make and model has been (or was) manufactured in annual volumes of 20,000 units or less.
The vehicle is, and was manufactured as, a two-door coupe or a convertible.
The vehicle is, and was manufactured as, a high-performance vehicle.

So I did a quick search, and it seemed that they never really produced many cars, around 5000 a year at least for the american market: http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/evo-general/709077-evolution-8-9-production-numbers-gsr-rs-mr-2003-2006-a.html , again correct me if I'm wrong here. Also wondering how they would want me to prove they made less than 20,000 a year?

I'm not sure what they classify as a high-performance vehicle but I reckon that could be another potential.

And lastly, I'd imagine that surely one of those magazine would have said at one time that Evo's are collectables or something along those lines?

With there being a yearly limit of 200 vehicles, I'd assume that earlier in the year would be better?

Cheers

Autocar nz has made a statement saying that in their opinion all vehicles ever made are collectable.

Yes you can import any vehicle. any condition. BUT unless it meets the emission requirements stated above then NO - it cannot be registered here.

I think you will be pushing the preverbiel uphill to be able to retrofit later emissions equipment to a non compliant car & get it accepted.

I suggest your only "possible" route for a non compliant car will be SIV

Yes you can import any vehicle. any condition. BUT unless it meets the emission requirements stated above then NO - it cannot be registered here.

I think you will be pushing the preverbiel uphill to be able to retrofit later emissions equipment to a non compliant car & get it accepted.

I suggest your only "possible" route for a non compliant car will be SIV

Thanks for the info, looks like I've got to try go down the SIV route then.

Thanks for the info, looks like I've got to try go down the SIV route then.

I can't stress enough...do your homework and anything is possible - see attached. The effort to prove that this E46 M3 was emission compliant only took a few nights of research.

Exemption

Edited by Haitoman

Nobody actually wants an Evo 7, 8 or 9 so they probably won't qualify as a collectors car.

Get yourself an X and do yourself a favour. They drive better, they look better and they feel better.

If you really want some fun get a TME.

• Like 2

Evo 7 full of problems, avoid! Go for 8 or 9. Having said that, more power can be extracted from the evo X.

I had a TME, loved it.

Evo 7 full of problems, avoid! Go for 8 or 9. Having said that, more power can be extracted from the evo X.

er, what?

NZTA SIV section says: "A special interest vehicle cannot be sold or leased within four years of its registration in New Zealand."

If I'm not mistaken that would mean I would have to own the car and wouldn't be able to sell it for four years? Just want to confirm if this is right and if there's any way around this? Guess this stops people just importing cars for cheap and reselling them...

NZTA SIV section says: "A special interest vehicle cannot be sold or leased within four years of its registration in New Zealand."

If I'm not mistaken that would mean I would have to own the car and wouldn't be able to sell it for four years? Just want to confirm if this is right and if there's any way around this? Guess this stops people just importing cars for cheap and reselling them...

You're not mistaken.

Why on earth would you want to bring in a SIV car and sell it? If you think you may want to sell it then do it my way and get an exemption. There are then no rules like this to worry about.

I imported a 2004 EVO 8 MR. For EVOs 7 - 9 my preference was the 8 MR as it has the carbon fibre roof the 9s have, and the reliability upgrades, however if your running factory boost, 7s and standard 8s are pretty similar, and unless your cold boosting, are very strong. You have two options for registration, you can fill out this form via Mitsubishi NZ,  http://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/resources/statement-of-compliance/docs/statement-of-compliance.pdf
Or 
You can register it as a special interest vehicle.
http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/49738/Application-for-SIV-permit.pdf
As there are only 200 special interest vehicle registrations a year, you have to own the vehicle for at least a year, and you have to own another vehicle for one year in the same name as the person who owns the SIV permit. Also you cant have another SIV car for 2 years and more than one in one persons name.
The SIV permit requires VIN number so you have to have it in certification where as the statement of compliance you can complete prior to the car landing and has no requirements once approved.
Also one thing to note is that if the car has an aftermarket steering wheel and originally had an airbag system (most newer EVOs) you will need a specific seat belt to replace yours approx $150 - $200 so that the pre-tensioner fires at an appropiate time for a car without an airbag as the original timing is timed to land your face almost at the steering wheel.
The reason for compliance issues as with m3s and most cars prior to 2007 as far as 2004 for some cars before they were changed to new emission standards which were printed on chassis as a 3 Digit Code, however for EVO 7 - 9 they are mostly GH-CT9A etc, GH being the emissions code for Japan 00 standards which approves them for the appropiate year.
Good luck with your endeavours i hope im not too late :)

The post is a year and a half old bud.  Prob are a little late.

On 9/11/2017 at 1:41 AM, BlessiNgZ said:

I imported a 2004 EVO 8 MR. For EVOs 7 - 9 my preference was the 8 MR as it has the carbon fibre roof the 9s have, and the reliability upgrades, however if your running factory boost, 7s and standard 8s are pretty similar, and unless your cold boosting, are very strong. You have two options for registration, you can fill out this form via Mitsubishi NZ,  http://www.nzta.govt.nz/assets/resources/statement-of-compliance/docs/statement-of-compliance.pdf
Or 
You can register it as a special interest vehicle.
http://vehicleinspection.nzta.govt.nz/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/49738/Application-for-SIV-permit.pdf
As there are only 200 special interest vehicle registrations a year, you have to own the vehicle for at least a year, and you have to own another vehicle for one year in the same name as the person who owns the SIV permit. Also you cant have another SIV car for 2 years and more than one in one persons name.
The SIV permit requires VIN number so you have to have it in certification where as the statement of compliance you can complete prior to the car landing and has no requirements once approved.
Also one thing to note is that if the car has an aftermarket steering wheel and originally had an airbag system (most newer EVOs) you will need a specific seat belt to replace yours approx $150 - $200 so that the pre-tensioner fires at an appropiate time for a car without an airbag as the original timing is timed to land your face almost at the steering wheel.
The reason for compliance issues as with m3s and most cars prior to 2007 as far as 2004 for some cars before they were changed to new emission standards which were printed on chassis as a 3 Digit Code, however for EVO 7 - 9 they are mostly GH-CT9A etc, GH being the emissions code for Japan 00 standards which approves them for the appropiate year.
Good luck with your endeavours i hope im not too late :)

How can you get Proof that the vehicle meets required special interest vehicle criteria? Copy of the magazine? And Proof of title (for example, overseas registration papers in the owner’s name)? what was that? De reg paper? I don't understand. Hope you can answer my questions. thanks