Sign in to follow this  
emandru

Good WoF locations for older BMW's

Really? I'd love to know where these independents are, never been to any mechanic that has done that.

What sort of guarantee / warranty do they put on the work, especially with the used parts?

Really? People do this all the time. HellBM for example, they'e a workshop that also parts out BMWs and sells the parts. Got used parts off them myself, although I ended up fitting them myself because they happened to be easy enough. But they fix and service cars as well as supply used parts from cars they part out, so I'm sure they'd fit them too...

Another mechanic I used to use for my old car, I'd regularly supply my own parts. Although his mobile mechanic business isn't around now I think, he runs a performance tuning shop now by the looks of it....

I've never expected a mechanic to give me any warranty on parts I've supplied.

BMW Workshop let me order in a BMS Chargepipe for my 335i...

I've heard of plenty of people getting used engines and transmissions, who even buys those new?

Edited by Matth5

+1 for both Spargs Auto Tune on the Shore, or P&S for South.

I used to always use VTNZ but the last few years has made me change to make specific workshops.

1. VTNZ does not have all the specs - have had a Nissan fail on rack end play - took it to the Nissan dealer to fix - guess what - totally within spec.

2. Different checks on the suspension/steering often require the vehicle is supported in a specific way for the make/model. Specific make workshops are more likely to know the correct procedure.

3. I was pleasantly surprised when my local BMW dealer did 1.5 hours worth of diagnostics on my car for no charge - none - zero - zilch. I will be going back to them from now on.

That's exactly what I've been trying to mention is the fact that not all vehicle are the same and that some play is acceptable. I very well understand the difference between something that is worn and something that just wasn't designed or engineering to the same level. In regards to parts manufactured today for the e34, even though those parts may be manufactured with more advanced equipment at the end of the day those parts were still designed in the 80's and 90's and that wont change. BM Workshop is my place to go to now and thanks a ton for all the comments above!

Just had my car put through a WOF by the local dealership. Its a '97 520i with 220000km on it and I'm sure they could've condemned it if they had a mind to. However, after finding a worn rear suspension arm balljoint as a part of a wheel alignment, that was all it required along with a set of wiper blades - and just a note that rear brake hoses were starting to persih - very pleased with the service.

I used to use VTNZ for years but lately they've just gotten silly - and not only do they not have the specs on hand for the particular car, they also dont have the procedure for testing those specs - for example, dealing with suspension they jack very car up exactly the same way regardless of suspension design.

I have had two instances where they have failed WOFs and then taken the car to the particular brand dealerships (Nissan and Toyota) only to be told the car is fine and within tolerance.

Edited by BlackAngel
  • Like 1