Sign in to follow this  
jeffbebe

1378bhp M70

This has probably been posted before but a recent bimmerforums post said the owner has driven it for years without issue and is about to transplant it into an E31 chassis (where it belongs!).

I'll put this on my Xmas list.

Edited by jeffbebe

That kind of power is only useful for doing burnouts

Then again I could see you doing such when out for coffee in Ponsonby :P

DO IT

• Like 1

I genuinely mistook where this engine was going and read it as being destined for an E30...

That kind of power is only useful for doing burnouts

Then again I could see you doing such when out for coffee in Ponsonby :P

DO IT

I think a modest 500-600bhp would suffice for the school run.

Edited by jeffbebe
  • Like 1

BMW's recently announced 760 has a twin turbo V12, wonder if it has similar potential...

BMW's recently announced 760 has a twin turbo V12, wonder if it has similar potential...

That would be probably the safe limit. Try get more out of such and you'd start blowing the plastic manifolds, pipes and other such cost saving, build to a spec parts - Of course I'm guessing but that is what I'd expect.

Very different to the days of thick chunky alloy that you'd see on a M70.

Theres a reason old motors can take good boost, over engineered for a period before improvements in development / cost saving came along.

Mercedes did an S65 (V12, twin-turbo) 10 years ago. It'd blow the doors off the contemporary 911 turbo, and pretty much everything else around at the time.

The current 760 has the N74 twin turbo that manages around 540bhp I think. Presumably the recently announced 760 has the 6.6L N74 that Rolls Royce have been using with 560+.

What a great swap that would be for my E31 but would pretty much need a complete 760 to put the E31 shell on top!

The current 760 has the N74 twin turbo that manages around 540bhp I think. Presumably the recently announced 760 has the 6.6L N74 that Rolls Royce have been using with 560+.

What a great swap that would be for my E31 but would pretty much need a complete 760 to put the E31 shell on top!

Much more affordable to turbo or supercharge the existing engine I imagine. You'll probably be able to see the fuel gauge moving when you put your foot down though :)

Much more affordable to turbo or supercharge the existing engine I imagine. You'll probably be able to see the fuel gauge moving when you put your foot down though :)

I already can!!
  • Like 3

^^^ Yup.. lol

I've always been a bit partial to this one.

• Like 1

I think I'd miss those extra 4 cyls too much! For the same money I think I'd rather use an M73 5.4L block with the M70 head, schrick cams and a tune which is good just under 400bhp.