Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

Insurance

Hello team

Who are y'all using for home and contents insurance? We have been using aa for my partners car for a while and they seem OK. Their quote was pretty average, and to be honest we haven't had to do a claim with them so can't comment on much other than their premium was pretty average.

Any experience, good or bad would be awesome.

Cheers

With state for contents. Westpac for home insurance. Westpac had very good premiums but the excess is so high I would only claim for serious issues. Eg a broken window it's cheaper not to claim.

AMI has been good to us.

Also have found BNZ good.

Was with AA for everything, car, house and contents. Then had a nightmare with a claim on the wife's car, long story that I will share when I can be bothered to type it all up.

As a result, decided to swap, tried Youi and got some aggressive South African salesman on the phone talking down to me so he got told to do one.

Ended up with State, same cover, car much cheaper - house and contents about the same. No claims yet, touch wood.

^ YOUI do the hard sell thing too much. and the bugger tried to get me to switch when i told him i would only save 10 bucks a year with them over AA for my car.

for contents we are with BNZ and the claims have been very smooth. they transfer us onto NZI so they are pretty good to claim with, just wish my excess wasn't so high.

AMI

One proper claim for a break in, and no questions paid out quick as - flawless.

They couldn't get a windscreen for my old VW Kombi van, so ordered a genuine one from the dealers, took 2 days from Singapore.

With Vero for everything at the sister-in-law's recommendation (she's a broker) and easy to deal with - but haven't made any claims so hard to tell!

Have a Vero Autosure Extreme Cover Mechanical Breakdown policy with the 545i and they have been excellent to deal with.

3rd claim since owning the car from October(!) - oil seals on engine (old rubber), bust water tank (old plastic) and now the iDrive.

But hey - I expected a few bits on a 10-year old euro and that's why I got the cover :)

Drop AA as soon as you can Ash. I've had nothing but problems from them farkin useless from the claims department, assessors and customer service all the way through. Have had 3 difficult claims with them over 6 years all of which were glass related, the last was a nightmare to get them to honour my contract.

My panel beater recommends State and Medical Assurance, he's told AA to go get f**ked after my claim.

Interestingly my bank wouldn't insure my house (even though they have the mortgage) so had to have a broker do that, i thought that was pretty weird.

In NZ the next decade have had on good advise its always worth putting a "subject to insurance" clause in house purchase/sale agreements.

• Like 2

Mate, we were with AMI had been a loyal customer for ages , Since the aussies bought them all of the value in what you actually get has been stripped out of their policies. They came back with a quote that was more expensive when we bought our house.

Talked to a few ppl about AA, and nothing but bad experiences.

We ended up going with Vero, not only where they cheaper but the fine print and extras all stacked up. Even phoned up a couple of panel beaters to see what they were like to deal with come claim time for car.

Theyve been good for the couple of claims we have made so far on contents.

Was with AA for everything, car, house and contents. Then had a nightmare with a claim on the wife's car, long story that I will share when I can be bothered to type it all up.

As a result, decided to swap, tried Youi and got some aggressive South African salesman on the phone talking down to me so he got told to do one.

Ended up with State, same cover, car much cheaper - house and contents about the same. No claims yet, touch wood.

Sounds like you got the same asshat I talked to. I made the error of filling out an online quote form, the Japie rang me 9 times in 5 days before he finally understood what "F**k off" meant in English as well as Afrikaans. Never again!

If you can, see if FMG will cover you, though if you're in the 'burbs you probably won't qualify. Can't hurt to ask though

2 cars, house, contents all with AA. Always excellent, they've really looked after us. No questions. Straightforward. Banks have asked to quote, never come close on price.

ASB for contents and car. I've had about 2 claims with them and they've been excellent.

I know people who've had quotes from them and found them too expensive, but $65 for full cover on my car can't be beaten by anyone else...

Cheers for the feedback. I'm not too worried about the car insurance as she only has a cheap car that she hardly ever uses which is worth less than 5k. My truck is insured through work. I'm more interested in the home and contents side of it.

I had a quote from bnz who we have our mortgage with but it seemed pretty steep after I had spoken to a few people, I don't mind paying more for a better service.

Re:youi, I spent almost an hour on the phone with some knob there and just hung up after getting absolutely no where with him.

It's interesting seeing such a range in the feedback for AA, everyone has either had a great run with them or an absolutely terrible run with them. Brys parents have been with aa forever but to be fair haven't had to do any decent claims so their feedback is pretty void.

Cheers

Re:youi, I spent almost an hour on the phone with some knob there and just hung up after getting absolutely no where with him.

Youi is a joke. They ask more questions, but those questions don't really have any weighting on the insurance - other than making it more expensive!

They eventually came in a bit cheaper than ASB, but only because I told them they weren't competitive and then when I asked what the excess was it was $2k! The only lowered this to match ASB when I told them it was a joke. Once they got the price down I decided to go ahead, but when organising contents they informed me that I couldn't do it in my house because there are 4 other flatmates.

It was a complete waste of time and everyone I talk to seems to have the same opinion.