Sign in to follow this  
darrencnz

E30 M52 with ZF transmission questions

Hey guys

Ok, i have a few questions about making sure this setup is going to work ok so here's the scenario...

I am currently running an M52B28 with Getrag 240, E30 clutch, E30 starter, E30 flywheel and E30 slave cylinder...

When i put the ZF transmission in, what am i going to have to replace or change? I've been researching online and getting conflicting results. I know i can use the starter, flywheel and clutch but do i have to change the slave cylinder or do i need to use a different throw out bearing or anything like that?

I've read that these gearboxes are usually used with a dual mass flywheel so there is issues with the clutch throw and some people were debating whether the slave cylinders were compatible or not so i'd like to hear from someone who has used the exact same setup as me and if there were any issues etc.

I know its a very common upgrade but with these sort of things there's also quite a lot of variables between people using different combos and a lot of people "think" they know but i wanna know from someone who has DONE it cos i don't have the time to have the car off the road for a week or two while i figure out problems as i go, i want to do this over one weekend.

Please don't bring up driveshaft either, that's off topic and i know whats required in that area...

Cheers in advance

Driveshaft

Nah, but slave cylinder has to be the E36 one. It's alot different to the e30 one. The clutch and flywheel shouldn't be an issue, though the input shaft size may bet different (15mm vs 12mm), forget which has which but will pay to check the pilot bearing is the right size.

The clutch and flywheel shouldn't be an issue, though the input shaft size may bet different (15mm vs 12mm), forget which has which but will pay to check the pilot bearing is the right size.

Do i have to measure or check the distance between the tip of the input shaft and the bell housing, the main thing im worried about is finding the clutch isn't throwing out far enough or too much once i get it back in the car... just trying to do my homework...

Can I ask why you are swapping boxes?

Can I ask why you are swapping boxes?

Clutch needs replacing, it's done over 260,000kms and getting tired, get rid of the Getrag lean, the LSD is a 2.79 so the new box will bring the ratios back to where i want them and the whole point of the project when i started it was to have the the new running gear in the older car...

Edited by darrencnz
  • Like 1