Sign in to follow this  
Gaz

Mx5s

What are peoples thoughts on these? Have the opportunity to pick up an 1990 manual well cheap and thinking about using as just a hack seeing as I cant find a decent e30

I like them. Simple, reliable, good fun. And there are zillions around, so parts are easy.

Not so much fun when the roof leaks, it steams up when it's damp, and the heater stops working.

• Like 1

People who own them are happy - rear wheel drive and handles like a go kart. People who know people who own one give them endless sh!t :P

• Like 2

They're a blast, one of the best handling cars of the era and just awesome in the twisties.

I was stunned when I drove one for the first time, I was used to 4WD turbos - I had a 4G63 VR-4 and Evo IV at the time - and the MX5 was almost as capable as the Evo in the corners (albeit much slower).

Needs strut tower bars front and rear and is very dependant on good shocks and bushings but all easy maintenance.

Just be prepared to be called a gay hairdresser.

• Like 2

I've bought the wife a couple of MX5's over the years. Fun to drive and cheap to run but they have their downsides if you want to daily one:

They're low and small so they're hard to get in and out of and the driving position is pretty cramped.

They are easy to break into so thieves target them. A slashed roof is about $700 to replace.

They crash around on bumpy Christchurch roads

You can't fit anything larger than a toaster in the boot

Be prepared to have middle aged men wearing baseball caps give you the MX5 wave - flashing the pop up headlights at you as they drive past a fellow MX5 owner.

i wanted one for ages. test drove an NA 1.6 years ago and although it was kinda cool it wasnt that fun to drive, too slow yet didnt have the fun of vtec or anything. Tried again recently with a NB, and the driving position was so cramped i barely fit into the car, steering wheel was sitting on my lap. The 1.8 was a much more capable engine.

I think itll be a good hack as long as you enjoy it for what it is, cheap and cheerful.

i was offered one as a first car many years ago when a family member upgraded to a Porsche Boxster, as much as i wanted it i just couldn't fit in the thing, I am 6'3". fun to drive manual RWD light weight, think the one i drove was a 2L as it was a special edition millennium celebration model. now stays in Takapuna, MX5MIL

I had one years ago, cheap and no frills motoring.

I think mine was a bit iffy, had a shimmy with the hard top off, went away with it on...

Not the greatest handling car in stock form, my twice as heavy active suspension soarer could run rings around one.

• Like 1