Sign in to follow this  
CSL6

E36 M3 3l Race car

Our 1994 M3 is for sale, refer to Trade Me ad in Competition Cars for details. Great car for Open B or A and Endurance racing.

We also have a very straight E36 325 Coupe to used as the basis for building a car for the Production Class...i.e. Transfer all the good bits from the M3 over to a "new" shell that would comply with production regs.

Give me a call if you want to discuss?

Graeme. Ph. 021 745 107.

Out of interest why the need to swap bodies? Is that easier than getting the M3 back to production spec?

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for your question. As I read the draft production car regs the cars need to be very close to original in virtually all respects. Our M3 has had 5 years of evolution into a track car so is well removed from production spec. The most difficult area to rectify are electrics including wiring, ecu, lighting and dash as all have been modified or removed from our car.

The biggest costs in making a car race-fast are getting good reliable engine power, proper suspension and set-up, brakes and drive line. The standard parts just don't cut it compared to real race gear when it comes to racing...our 3l E36 M3 is 5 secs a lap faster than one running stock E36 M3 spec...thats night and day on track. Getting to this level from standard takes big lumps of time and money.

The other advantage of starting with a fresh shell is that weight can be removed as part of the build process. There are no minimuim weights in the draft regs so that is where real gains will be made. As a rule of thumb 50 kgs is worth between .5 and .75 secs a lap. So starting with a fully complying road spec chassis and taking weight out where its legal would be the way to go. Our shell is very hacked about so would be hard to return to complying trim.

So thats why I'd suggest transferring the good gear from our car to a stock shell would be the best way to go. Developing a front running car from scratch will be very expensive and could take 2-3 years longer to get there.