Sign in to follow this  
gjm

E30 M3 4x4 Rallycross

This is Arild Martinsen's 4x4 M3 from 1988 in action.

Well, it started life as an M3, and then received an X-trac transplant - hence the 4-bolt rims.

The engine is M10-derived... Whether that means it is the original S14 or even an M12, I don't know. It does have a heffin' great turbocharger bolted to it, helping make 700bhp.

It's safe to say it goes a bit. :D

https://youtu.be/5g8eoT0M2sI

• Like 5

That thing is nucken futs! But i have to say that MG metro was pretty impressive too (now i will go and shoot myself for saying that)

• Like 1

That thing is nucken futs! But i have to say that MG metro was pretty impressive too (now i will go and shoot myself for saying that)

The 6R4 is the only Metro you can get away with saying that about!

4wd, mid-engine 3-litre V6 making up to 410hp, normally aspirated. Lots got turbos for rallycross.

The 6R4 is the only Metro you can get away with saying that about!

4wd, mid-engine 3-litre V6 making up to 410hp, normally aspirated. Lots got turbos for rallycross.

Just worked it out - that 6R4 is Will Gollop's car. Maybe the world's first (and only?) twin-turbo Metro 6R4. It made something north of 650bhp.

Still no match for the power of an M10 in an E30, though! ;)

Arild had a thing for building non-standard 4x4s. From 1985 thru 1987 (pre the E30) he ran a very quick turbocharged 4x4 Lotus Sunbeam. I think this also had Xtrac running gear, so maybe it was swapped from the Sunbeam to the E30?

There are suggestions the M10 in the E30 may have been one of the ex-Megatron units, but I think it was more of a home-grown engine built on an S14. Certainly the Sunbeam was largely a DIY job.

The further it fades into history, the more powerful it gets! I recall mention of 'over' 700hp, but later stories tell of 850+ and how the tyres were bolted to the rims to stop them coming off (which is possible - several rallycross guys did this).

From a review of the '88 Rallycross championship race at Brands Hatch: "... standing down by the wall at the bottom of the pits alongside the Cooper straight during that cold misty British GP meet, when Martinsen came off Hoppy's Drop and accelerated along Cooper Straight... Sideways through every gearchange, before having to scandie flick it the other way to negotiate the left through the gap to get onto the start line.

My mate and I just looked at each other slack jawed and then burst out laughing....."

Edited by gjm

+Murray Walker

Good that thing is 4WD, rear wheels spend a fair bit of time off the ground!