Sign in to follow this  
rf_key

Suitable technician for key exchange? (IR -> RF)

Owning an E46, I saw the post at

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/50157-diy-e46-retrofit-infrared-to-radio-frequency-remote-control/

that apparently covers my case and seems to contain all the info necessary to do the change desired. However, I myself am not prepared to do such a thing. Does anyone know someone reliable who will do that, conditions to be negotiated? The region would be AKL.

Try EuroSurgeon, he might tackle it. Will cost a bloody fortune though

I did this to mine, 2x Keys and cut, new antenna amp - $140. I did wiring myself, its pretty easy -"shouldn't" cost too much....

such a good mod for anyone who has to deal with those IR keys, its well worth it.

"casakeytw" is the ebay user that sells the RF keys. they are very good. (make sure you order 433mhz )

I did this to mine, 2x Keys and cut, new antenna amp - $140. I did wiring myself, its pretty easy -"shouldn't" cost too much....

such a good mod for anyone who has to deal with those IR keys, its well worth it.

"casakeytw" is the ebay user that sells the RF keys. they are very good. (make sure you order 433mhz )

Yes, the parts are cheap enough for a DIY project - paying a pro to do the job would make it expensive though, especially if they're sourcing the parts for you.

Sorry, I'm a bit slow. Thanks to all. I'll sleep over it, and probably more than once.

My feeling is, I would still prefer a ready-made solution, provided it remains affordable. I'm willing to contribute, like getting parts if I can.

this is an easy enough DIY and will take you only about an hour to do.

If you are not comfortable, find a buddy that can assist you. But it's literally 3m of two-wire cable, some zip ties, and using 2 quick splice connectors - a lot less wiring than any other aftermarket solution.

Any technician would be waste of money as they would simply follow my outlined instructions and in the end not even warranty their work.

Everyone on this forum has been in a similar situation and will provide help as you can see.

Thanks a lot, but you're right: I do feel uncomfortable doing such things. And there is no buddy to assist.

Lest we forget: We're not talking about a spoiler or some other ultimately negligible part, we're talking about the locking system. I don't want to mess that up.

Strangely enough, the official pros don't seem to like this job either, judged by their non- or dodging reactions. Not exactly a signal to reassure me.