Sign in to follow this  
eliongater

Weird Weaves

Can anyone shed some light on this basket weave?

It's off a 735i e32 with a black pinstripe. I know it's TRX. I believe it's a forged wheel but I'm not sure.

U0eE0mC.jpg

Its just a BMW Style 5 TRX wheels 415mm

impossible to find tyres for but otherwise nice wheels

looks exactly like the spare wheel in my old 535,except i think they were slightly larger dia.I think that it is still the spare wheel.

Sadly the diameters are a bit odd and don't match the normal 14", 15" and 16" sizes. Some people have been able to machine a rim down to a more widely recognised size.

Coker were recently still making TRX tyres.

Some people have been able to machine a rim down to a more widely recognised size.

Have heard of some sketchy stuff done to wheels to make them fit, thats a whole new level though! Had quite an 'interesting' discussion with a guy yesterday as to why it is a (really) bad idea to machine the back of a wheel hub to increase offset from roughly ET20 to ET35. AFTER welding and redrilling to change the PCD from 5x110 to 4x100.

Have heard of some sketchy stuff done to wheels to make them fit, thats a whole new level though! Had quite an 'interesting' discussion with a guy yesterday as to why it is a (really) bad idea to machine the back of a wheel hub to increase offset from roughly ET20 to ET35. AFTER welding and redrilling to change the PCD from 5x110 to 4x100.

Me too!

You can machine some rims a little to increase offset, for instance if clearance is an issue, but I'd not be considering taking 15mm off!

In all seriousness, can you share the details of your conversation?

Metric. I have two of them, they are currently a great pedestal for my rain water tank off the garage.

• Like 2

I believe they can also be melted down and re-cast into wheels that are a size you can use!

• Like 4

Me too!

You can machine some rims a little to increase offset, for instance if clearance is an issue, but I'd not be considering taking 15mm off!

In all seriousness, can you share the details of your conversation?

That was basically the gist of the conversation. Apparently because they're a forged monoblock wheel they will defy the laws of metallurgy & physics, or some such shite. I started wondering if he was parroting something he'd read on the internets once I twigged he was referring to VW / Audi stud patterns which to the best of my knowledge are around the ET35 mark anyway.

I did ask him for details on where he lived and the places he most often visited, so I could duly avoid the roads he'd be driving on.

Aye. Forged rims are metallurgically a little different to cast ones.

I took 6mm off the inside face of some AMG 18x8 et31 rims to make them and et37. The et31s rubbed on the front of my W124 but 6mm is all that's needed for free running under all conditions.

18.jpg

• Like 2

Aye. Forged rims are metallurgically a little different to cast ones.

I took 6mm off the inside face of some AMG 18x8 et31 rims to make them and et37. The et31s rubbed on the front of my W124 but 6mm is all that's needed for free running under all conditions.

it looks like there is a lot of metal to work with on thos e wheels

it looks like there is a lot of metal to work with on thos e wheels

There is a fair bit, but the area that counts doesn't vary so much from rim to rim (within the bounds of having the same pcd).