Sign in to follow this  
eliongater

Good tyres for 16x8 on an e28

Can anybody recommend a good set of most likely 225/50R16 tyres to go on my 16x8 Style 4s for my e28. I'm not looking for the best performance, just reasonable performance and price. They need to have fairly straight side walls else they will rub on the front struts.

I was thinking Bridgestone RE003s as that's what everyone seems to recommend.

Hoping to spend about $200 per tyre, but will go higher if it's worth it in the long run (e.g. better tyres now, don't have to buy new ones for a bit longer).

Thanks

reoo3 all the way ;)

Any clearance issues with the front strut?

Pretty sure Michelin PS3 comes in that size and is stiffer than the RE003

But $300 per tyre vs $195... Also it is only a 525e lol

I accidentally deleted my post -_-

pretty sure my mate just got Michelin PS3s in Golf V Gti size (235/45/17??) for between two-and a quarter and two-and-a-half per tyre, fitted and balanced in Porirua/Mana. Hopefully 16" size wouldn't sting you more.

If you want to save a little more and still have a midrange performance tyre, the Toyo Proxes 4 in that size should come in around $175... though isn't as good as the RE003. They're all-rounders, good in the wet, last reasonably well, and are M+S rated so have all the obvious compromises/advantages that this brings.

mine are 235/45-17" on the m5 alloys 17" by 8" ET20 .

no problems

have run bridgestone 225/50-16" years ago on those bbs 16" 8" et 23 , some rubbing on the strut tube but those older tyres had quite big rim protectors

pretty sure my mate just got Michelin PS3s in Golf V Gti size (235/45/17??) for between two-and a quarter and two-and-a-half per tyre, fitted and balanced in Porirua/Mana. Hopefully 16" size wouldn't sting you more.

If you want to save a little more and still have a midrange performance tyre, the Toyo Proxes 4 in that size should come in around $175... though isn't as good as the RE003. They're all-rounders, good in the wet, last reasonably well, and are M+S rated so have all the obvious compromises/advantages that this brings.

Whereabouts?

Seen the Michelins at $199 each which was your target. I paid $219 each for 225/45/17 about a year ago.

P.S. it has nothing to do with the value of the car, it has everything to do with what value you put on handling and safety ,

I'll be putting PS3's on the Saab when it is due for tyres

I wasn't referring to the value, more that it didn't have enough power to require huge amounts of grip. If I didn't care I would put $50 ling longs on it...

Where did you see the PS3s for that?

I'll find out and post tomorrow, Elijah.

prices change from month-to-month; this is one of the last things you'd do to your wagon, like in the last two weeks before you get a WoF and start driving it. Are we getting very close, then? #8 )

No one will pay pay the "perceived" full retail anymore. As per Rons example; negotiate.

• Like 1

you can get Tony's Tyres trying to undersell a fly on the wall #8 )

Hi Elijah, 225/45/17 was the size scored, there was a grab one promo at Principal Tyres in Kenepuru. They may be worth a shot when its time to score your black doughnuts.

cheers

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm not looking to purchase tomorrow, more just getting prepared so I know exactly what to buy when the time comes or to buy when a really good deal presents itself.

hey Elijah, it's not as flash as Ron's excellent negotiation gambit, but Bridgestone stores are having a 'buy one, get one half price' deal**. Which I guess amounts to 25% of a pair. Test-pricing today, their opening price well undercuts Tony's, which should open up for some outstanding competitive bidding between the big-boys to buy your business.

PS - ** till 24 March

Edited by Olaf
  • Like 1