Sign in to follow this  
Bennyboy

'87 E28 525e all day!

Hey guys, I've lucked out and scored a (mostly) original 1987 525e 5spd from right here in Hawke's Bay.

Super stoked!

Have already found a really nice set of RC090's 17's with rubber (235/45-17) who are getting a tidy up as we speak, and have sourced some spigot rings from TM to ensure no speed "wobbles" :)

Will be turning my attentions to the brakes/suspension next, and very much open to any suggestions any fellow e28'ers are running with good results out there.

Wheels, brakes and suspension aside, I've no plans to modify the motor any more than that. Have heard of a chip upgrade which can help deliver a few extra ponies which is a pretty compelling proposition, but keen to get the handling piece sorted first then look at that sort of thing down the line,

Cheers!

post-53207-0-65476800-1456552497_thumb.j

• Like 5

HI Ben, welcome aboard.

a lot of us were watching that auction and thinking hard about it, looks like you've really lucked out there.

plenty of help and advice on Bimmersport, and a lot of enthusiasm for e28s.

Take a look at the meetings section too.

cheers

Olaf

• Like 1

Welcome Ben.

e28's are great to drive and simple to work on. If you are looking for parts I would suggest looking on the US sites as prices can be very good. Only the exchange rate is not always on our side.

Hope you enjoy it.

Adam

• Like 1

Welcome Ben, love that E28, has to be one in my future somewhere, well done and look forward to see how it progresses

• Like 1

Thanks for all the positive vibes guys, look forward to sharing the evolution of my new wheels. :)

Welcome. Nice to have another e28 guy on here.

Post some pics of the rc090s when you get a chance, they look sweet

Nice and lovely colour too! Will look absolutely gorgeous with the Rc090/style 5 wheels.

If you're planning on lowering the car may I suggest AP lowering springs from german ebay, costs $240 total NZD including shipping! 40mm drop up front 30mm at the back and not too harsh either. Mate them with Bilstein shocks from e28 M535i and you will have a great handling platform.

There's also mye28.com forums with great advice dedicated solely to the e28.

Thanks for the tip, Rohan.

Will look into your suggestions ASAP!

Although, for some reason I'm not able to load the mye28.com site? Anyone else experience this?

Will likely order some springs and keep an eye for some shocks, too. How long have you had your M535i for?

You might have to register to gain access to the website. The website seems to be working for me.

Owned the M535i for 6 months now, thinking of doing a brake upgrade (E34 540i brakes) and getting the lips on the wheels polished :beer:

If you can, you should come to some BMW meets.

Def keen on getting along to a few meets, are they all Akl based? I know there is one coming up here on Hastings, but we are away at a wedding in the Wairarapa that weekend :(

Still no luck loading e28.com on either iPad or android, must be a PC only site (?)

Annoying!

Yep those are the ones.

I haven't tried opening mye28 on my phone or ipad but works on the laptop.

The meets are located all over the country. There's a section dedicated to it on the forum under 'Meetings'.

Yep those are the ones.

I haven't tried opening mye28 on my phone or ipad but works on the laptop.

The meets are located all over the country. There's a section dedicated to it on the forum under 'Meetings'.

Sorry for the hijack, but what's the ride like with those springs? I've never heard of that brand before, but it seems like a good price (for a German company :P )

• Like 1

Sorry for the hijack, but what's the ride like with those springs? I've never heard of that brand before, but it seems like a good price (for a German company :P )

I am happy with mine. A little harsh compared to the mtech springs. I think if you're planning to drive it on the street only, they are good enough. But if you are gonna track it, maybe stick to the stock Mtech springs or get hold of Dinan springs.

I've got an AP Suspension kit in my mk2 Golf which I used for both regular street driving and track/drag racing and I'd highly recommend it, especially for the price. I've actually just ordered these springs for my e28 as well.

Car looks good BennyBoy, I'll be following your progress.

Edited by M M
  • Like 1

Hey Mateja, thanks for your message. Can I ask if you sourced your springs direct from AP or if you went through eBay.de? I found a place in the States that was selling them at a more competitive rate than what the eBay listing showed, so curious to see who it was you ended up ordering them thru.

Also, are your planning to run the new springs along with the factory suggested struts on your e28, or have you also upgraded your struts?

Hey Mateja, thanks for your message. Can I ask if you sourced your springs direct from AP or if you went through eBay.de? I found a place in the States that was selling them at a more competitive rate than what the eBay listing showed, so curious to see who it was you ended up ordering them thru.

Also, are your planning to run the new springs along with the factory suggested struts on your e28, or have you also upgraded your struts?

I ordered them through ebay, these ones: http://www.ebay.com/itm/361301707619?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I had a quick look but didn't see any cheaper so I just ordered those. Who did you find?

I am planning to run them on the shocks I have for now, which are Monroes, I imagine close to factory specs. It's already lowered but the current spring setup is far from ideal, so that's all I'll say about it.

I came across a couple of options, both from the States and the U.K.:

http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/cheap/1089923/BMW/ap-lowering-springs/fs20-228.html#top

This one works out to about $150+ shipping

Will have to search out the one I found for $104USD. They didn't ship to nz but it could be done via nz post

Time to start a separate e28 lowering thread?

Those are the ones I ordered. Anyway I'll leave this discussion here. Back to your E28 Ben.

Edited by M M

Cool, Thanks :)

Found a set of Bilstein rears that'll be going on once the springs arrive and I can find a set of strut inserts for the front.

Super pumped on this project!

• Like 1