Sign in to follow this  
jin108

Can someone explain the pricing for these 2 M5s?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1039131262.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/bmw/auction-1027100103.htm

Is it because the older one is NZ new it has same asking price even though its 6 years older, previous generation and has 55k more kms on it?

Supply and demand, easier to find an e60 m5 than a nice well looked after e39 m5!

• Like 1

the e39 this seller is selling seems way overpriced IMO. the e60 on the other hand is priced quite well though

Could be also the fact that the E60 is an SMG gearbox which seems to be not as popular as the manual of the E39.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

The E60s have depreciated quite badly, they're generally around the 30k mark.

I think the main reasons are their looks and maintenance costs.

• Like 2

fuel economy of 200kms to a tank might have something to do with it..

Hah, i can get 300ks to a tank no problem! ;)

• Like 2

The E39 was the last real drivers car, after then too many electronic controllers etc.. took over and ruined the drive of all the pure power. Also the interior of the e60 :spew:

• Like 1

The E39 has sold. It was my car and advertised through AEM. They are an appreciating classic with lower production numbers hence why they command a premium.

Someone should buy martins :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my opinion as well the S62 is vastly better sounding motor, then again I'm bias for a good V8 track - they just hit all the right notes and tones that really stir the soul...

Somehow the V10 with its particular firing order is not anywhere near as alluring, if anything it's annoying to my ear... like a loud Honda, I think if they sounded more like the V10 Dodge viper I'd like them more, but of course they run a different firing sequence among other design differences.

Eg,

• Like 2

Not many people agree with me, but i feel that the V10 M5 is the worst sounding M5 of the lot. Doesnt sound like a V10, just sounds ugly. Its also not much of a looker.

The E39 is a fantastic looking car, and that engine/trans.... mmm.

• Like 3

Not many people agree with me, but i feel that the V10 M5 is the worst sounding M5 of the lot. Doesnt sound like a V10, just sounds ugly. Its also not much of a looker.

The E39 is a fantastic looking car, and that engine/trans.... mmm.

agree,V8 sound better

Interesting i didnt think there was so much hate for the E60 M5. Personally i think the S85 engine is incredible (and the S65 too). But numbers dont lie prices on E60 M5s are taking a beating.

Interestingly there where almost about the same amount manufactured of both E39 and E60/61 combined.

I believe it'll be the maintenance costs mainly, and the E39 is manual only with supply now very limited, demand will push prices only one way.

Having got both models, but not Ms, the E39 has more character but the E61 is a better car. Then I have the benefit of comparing V8s only :)

Love the E60 but mostly because of that engine. Having been for a joy ride in Andrews wagon and Brents M6 convertable i'm a believer!

If you put a gun to my head i would say i prefer the V10 sound at full noise, but only at full noise, the v8 sounds much sexier at low rpm. There is no doubt in my mind the the e60/61 m5 is the better car, but if there was an e39 m5 touring that would be my pick.

• Like 2

if there was an e39 m5 touring that would be my pick.

You should have made one... you still can... B)

• Like 1

E60, I owned an E60 and drove an E39 for a while and the E60 was hands down the better car. Now that may be different at M5 level so I will defer to those who know better but I will say one of the best automotive noises I have heard is an E60 M5 revving hard. Closely followed by S54 at full noise.

Full rpm is they key to get the good notes out of them.

Certainly isn't the case at low rpm through car parks.

Compare it to something like a B7 RS4 at low speed / revs, mmmmmmmmmmmm

Full rpm is they key to get the good notes out of them.

Certainly isn't the case at low rpm through car parks.

Compare it to something like a B7 RS4 at low speed / revs, mmmmmmmmmmmm

Yeah, Audi seem to have it over BMW when it comes to exhaust noise, i probably wouldnt own one, but there used to be a lady who drove an rs6 past my work every day at pace and i could listen to that all day!
  • Like 1

I would take the E60 M5. Oh wait I have :D

The sound of the V10 in full flight is simply something else. and when coupled with torque - simply amazing!

Then when you press the M button - all hell breaks loose...

But I wouldn't say no to an E39 M5 either :)