Sign in to follow this  
Bmdubs

New member - 1989 325i Motorsport/316i

Hello every one Daniel here happy to finally join the bimmersport family, now I'll get straight to the point and show you all my cars. But basically I love the e30 series I've been brought up with a BMW loving father who drives an 1993 e36 m3 (NZ new) he's owned it for 17 years & his motorbike is an BMW hp2 which I believe there is only roughly 5 in New Zealand. My cars well my first car was a 1989 BMW 316i which I got in late 2014 with 106,000kms, NZ new with full service history and one owner before me factored manual also alpine white coupe. I got it shipped from the top of the South Island all the way over to here to Auckland. Now my second car which I brought last year & I believe a member here used to own it back in 2011..? "James" is my 1989 NZ new 325i Motorsport with a fully rebuilt m20b25 & stroked to a m20b28 using a m52b28 crankshaft. But sadly this car is an absolute rust bucket, shouldn't of passed its wof's and I brought it of a dishonest guy who was saying he wanted to be as much upfront with the new owner as he could. Recently though I've brought a new donor shell a 318i auto in diamond swatchz (excuse my spelling) which is slowly becoming the new Motorsport but any ways enough talking have a look at my cars :-)

post-53239-0-50253600-1457047372_thumb.j

post-53239-0-37393100-1457047463_thumb.j

post-53239-0-23869500-1457054379_thumb.j

Edited by Bmdubs
  • Like 4

That's my old M325i, even with the problems it has I still regret selling it back in what would be ~2011

• Like 1

Hi James out of curiosity what was the rust like when you sold it? Because the car is almost at a state of it just isn't simply logical to fix the rust as its that bad it really suits a re shell now

Sunroof was bad, rear guards had a little bit and front A pillar had some repairs, but was ok. It needed about 2-3k of work to get it mint so I sold it.

• Like 1

Hi James out of curiosity what was the rust like when you sold it? Because the car is almost at a state of it just isn't simply logical to fix the rust as its that bad it really suits a re shell now

That's always sad to hear. But still beautiful to look none the less.

A little update a year later, Welcome to the family the 100% rust free geneuine 325i coupe. That in the past year every nut & bolt has been gone over. Running brand new bilstiens all around, all new engine mounts, belts, water pump, air intake all new genuine radiator piping and all new bushings in the gear box. Its a dream come true. All I need to do now is fix and install the rest of the body kit with all the new clips that I ordered from bmw.. enjoy once this car is done you can expect a lot more photos haha 

14813485_10207737185207643_847433582_n.jpg

14798907_10207737185527651_630947935_n.jpg

• Like 8

Wow, really? OMG.

If you've done this properly then it's an epic effort and good props.

Looking forward to the pics.

• Like 1

How much did the body repairs cost?

On 11/21/2016 at 7:29 PM, 3 SERIES said:

Nice! 

What bilsteins did you go for and what Springs did you pair them with?

Not exactly sure on that one mate from my knowledge they're are just general bilsteins with my 51mm struts, and factory Motorsport springs in the rear and unsure on the fronts. Will be looking at either H&R sports or race springs in future 

On 11/21/2016 at 11:20 PM, zero said:

How much did the body repairs cost?

Well I actually ended up reshelling the whole car into a rust free non sunroof coupe, the body itself only set me back $1200 but the real cost was hundreds upon hundreds of hours of work viterally going over everything 

• Like 1

On 11/21/2016 at 8:24 PM, M3AN said:

Wow, really? OMG.

If you've done this properly then it's an epic effort and good props.

Looking forward to the pics.

It's done properly mate! I can say this with a smile on my face because I'm proud yet so sure of it there was viturally no short cuts taken. If any new parts where needed I only brought genuine BMW parts! This was no a short process, my father and myself went over everything. reloomed the whole car and would you believe that every electronic worked first try as it should! It's a good stiff rattle free car :) 

• Like 1

A few more recent photos from last week when I went for a little cruise with some friends. The rest of the tech 2 kit is still yet to be installed 

IMG_6215.JPG

IMG_6249.JPG

IMG_6250.JPG

IMG_6262.JPG

IMG_6271.JPG

• Like 5

Yes, you have every right to be very proud. 

Very, very sweet. Well done. 

12 hours ago, M3AN said:

Yes, you have every right to be very proud. 

Very, very sweet. Well done. 

Thank you I appreciate it 

Here's a couple of photos of my dads e36 m3 too. Pretty darn clean

IMG_6326.JPG

IMG_6324.JPG

• Like 1

Very Nice car & great work, nice to see another M car brought back to its former glory!!

yep, top marks!  Looks very smart.  Keep her tidy, she'll still be driving in another 30 years!

I concur, you should be very proud of what you have produced. Well done :)

Also, respect for pushing forward despite being shafted by the previous owner of the original shell. That would have turned a lot of people off.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2016 at 8:46 AM, KwS said:

I concur, you should be very proud of what you have produced. Well done :)

Also, respect for pushing forward despite being shafted by the previous owner of the original shell. That would have turned a lot of people off.

Thank you and agreed. I brought it intending to do the rust work but then came to the conclusion that it wasn't logical to fix it. I didn't want to give up as it is one of my dream cars so reshelling it was definitely the best option for the car & well worth it 

Hello all! Been a little while since I've posted some photos on me mtech! I've since sold the white BMW as I didn't give it enough attention with the black BMW being on the road. Got a friend to take a couple of photos of my car the other day! Still haven't fitted the rest of the kit it's on the to do list! Enjoy 

IMG_7008.JPG

IMG_7002.JPG

IMG_7003.JPG

• Like 2

Sweet car. I think I saw you driving through Maraetai the other week-end.

Funny how the little finishing touches take so long once you get to the stage you can go for a drive eh?