Sign in to follow this  
russellc2

Springs for track / road sprint E36

Hi all,

After some advice from others who have been down the same path...

I have a dedicated track day / sealed sprint E36 328i M Sport coupe that's been converted to manual, almost fully stripped of interior / AC / stereo / speakers / amp / airbags etc.

I have a single racetech seat in there and not much else, so I'm guessing around 150kg+ has been removed.

I have near new koni shocks and struts and was hoping to stick with this setup and standard type springs for a while until budget can allow for coil overs (most likely XYZ racing & shortish springs) and a cert.

I have the motorsport front & rear springs as well as a set of Koni sport springs that I was hoping would lower it a tad.

Problem is due to the weight reduction it now looks more like an offroad racer than a track car and I've lost most of the rear camber due to the rise in height.

Are there any options out there for shorter & stiffer springs or do I need to bite the bullet early and grab the coilovers now?

Cheers,

Russell

Might be worth having a catch up next weekend sometime if you are interested.

Geoff

021 449 242

• Like 1

I have H&R cup kit and its still not enough for me, go straight to coil overs

• Like 1

Thanks Geoff - sounds good. I'm doing Alexandra Rd hillclimb on Sunday 20th - are you doing that too?

Are you still running interior Hans or stripped out too? Are you doing track work and road sprints / hill climbs or just track?

Are you still running interior Hans or stripped out too? Are you doing track work and road sprints / hill climbs or just track?

Fully stripped, just aircon to go really.

Have only done track but need to do some hill/sprints

Thanks Ron, plenty of good info there and some others have also advised to tweak sway bars before springs. Although I get different stories from different people :)

Are you still running springs and shocks in your E36 or gone to coilovers too?

The main issue with mine is really the rear suspension. As most of the weight has gone from the rear of the car but still on 328i specific springs it's so high that I've got pretty much no negative camber.

I was going to get the adjustable camber arms to try and dial some back in but I don't think it will help much until I get it closer to the ground.

Will most likely go for XYZ coilovers sooner then, sell the koni's and try and figure out what spring rates to go for :)

Russell - I have some lower softer rears which you're willing to try - worked for me. PM me