Sign in to follow this  
awayner1

E39 Rear Door Lock

I just replaced the actuator on my rear door, checked everything worked properly, put it back in the door, checked again - all OK, then shut the door and tried again. Thus time it didn't work, the door is locked and \I can't get at the 2 Torx screws inside the door frame. I welcome all suggestions.......

Yes, it is. I have also managed to get the actuator off as well, so I need to know if the lock can be manually unlocked from inside.........

OK, got it sorted - thanks Glenn for replying. The trick is to feel around the back of the lock while it is in situ. If the actuator is still there, I think you can get to it, but I removed the actuator. Behind the actuator, and feeling down, there is a little lever. When this lever is up, the door is locked. When you can push the lever down, which I did, and worked the door opener at the same time, the door suddenly sprung open.....

Now replace the lock assembly... that is where the problem is. You can get to that lever from outside the car as well by taking off the outer window moulding and pushing the lever down with a long thin implement. The moment you try to open it with the outside handle it will jam again. A common problem on quite a few BMW's