Sign in to follow this  
TermiPeteNZ

A warning about repaired alloys and cleaning ; dealer servicing

I just got my 545i back from Jeff Gray after they've sorted something out and been very helpful - only to find all four of my alloys have peeling on them. What has happened is that my alloys have been repaired (2 by Wheel Magician for me and the other 2 by previous owner) which involved fixing kerbing and then repainting.

Jeff Gray being the thorough guys they are cleaned my car including allow wheel cleaner and *water blasting* which blasted the paint off :( They're sorting it out and perhaps they'll back off from water blasting - or just turn the pressure down a bunch in future.

So the learning is that if you take a car with repaired alloys to a dealer - make sure they don't water blast the wheels!

Any professional wheel repair should stand up to water blasting, and wheel cleaner should also be safe to use on any professionally painted wheel, i would be going back to wheel magician for a refund if it was those that have been damaged.

• Like 2

Had same issue with clear coat lifting on polished Lip on ACS type ones a few years back. Very strong wheel wash at JGBMW

• Like 1

Cheers for advice all. I don't think WM does a crap job - i just think the water blasting was too fierce.

Cheers for advice all. I don't think WM does a crap job - i just think the water blasting was too fierce.

But it didnt take off the original coating on the wheels, only the repaired stuff? Sounds to me like the prep work was sub-standard and the paint didnt adhere properly. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 3

if the wheel cleaner they use is anything like the stuff we have at work, its not really surprising. That sh*t is brutal, its proper acid. Works mint though!

• Like 1

sounds like -1 for Wheel Magician. I'm looking for a good repairer in Welly...

I used wheel magician many many years ago when i first brought my E34 touring, lasted very well for many years and only every flaked a bit around the wheel bolt holes but then i was taking the wheels off and on far more than what would be considered normal.

having said that, yes it did flake, and I'm no painter but i suspect its because they don't in any way bake the paint on there etc as there is no room for an oven in the back of a Mitsi L300

• Like 2

Up until this happened I was stoked. And I am *still* very happy to recommend Wheel Magician. Do you know who Jeff Gray use? Wheel Magician!! :D

Agree with Andy that a harder finish would not be achievable with a mobile service like this. Sending wheels away would be a big pain!

Edited by TermiPeteNZ

i know a few people that have used Wheel Magician multiple times, and we use them lots at work and the only issue i have heard was they once mismatched the color, but sorted that out easily. Havent heard of any flaking or peeling. My old boss had all 4 of his Evo X BBS wheels done multiple times without issue.

• Like 1