Sign in to follow this  
DeadlyPixels

Help! Anyone have experience with traffic lawyers?

Hi all,

I appear to be an a bit of a fix at the moment. Over the past year or so I have been working towards getting my private pilots license - passed my flight test and got my license just last week (yay!). Part of the application is getting a fit an proper person check done, which I was issued but they also said they because I have 3 prior tickets that want to see two years conviction free for any further ratings.

Hmmmm... ok normally not an issue. However I was issued a ticket for 112kph in a passing lane just over the holidays in January. Which would count as an infringement as soon as I pay it. Meaning no more licenses/ratings for me.

Does anyone have any experience with a lawyer helping to sort this out. Can this actually successfully be fought and/or not placed on my record? Having to wait for 2 years would be kind of a big deal here so that would be best avoided at all costs.

Much obliged for any advice.

Surely a speeding ticket is not counted as a conviction? A traffic conviction would be more like driving under the influence etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not a conviction unless the courts are involved. just pay your fine and should be sweet

Yeah I was under the impression that speeding isn't really an issue for that, more like drink driving, dangerous driving etc. Things you go to court for. I do recall having to tell them about my traffic fines but I don't think they cared.

We had someone got done for speeding week one of my flight school. Oops.

• Like 1

Well the exact wording requested a Fine Summary as well as a Suspension Report (the one that lists all offences for the last 5 years and active demerits) but it did say 2 years CONVICTION free.

Clocked at 232k on a scooter in shorts during a pursuit after a hold up/ road rage without the right class of licence and you would be for the high jump.

Yeah I'm not saying Ive set any kind of new badass rank. I just need to be sure I can actually get issued my commercial license, cause if I pass the exams, pass the flight test and then send away to the CAA for my license to have them reject it would be awful.

It's likely that I just misinterpreted the letter. Will check it out and post back.

I'm in a similar situation to you. Every time I renew my aviation authorities (related to engineering) I have to explain why I lost my licence 13 years ago (two speeding tickets for <20km over limit and one careless use due to an off caused by subsided road edge). I have a one page explanation written up about what caused the crash and what I did afterwards (contacted councils regarding state of road etc).

In essence part of the fit and proper person process is to show that you respect all aspects of NZ transport law. Gathering ongoing speeding tickets shows that you are not obeying the road laws and may treat the aviation rules with similar disdain. That will be the CAANZ view of it. They won't be too concerned about 12 kph over the limit. Anything 30 kph over would be more of an issue I imagine.

It may be worth contacting CAANZ for a discussion, falling on your sword and saying you have learned from your mistake and are a respectful driver now.

Apart from speed camera road tax (no need to declare them to CAANZ) I've been ticket free for 13 years. I definitely drive slower now, but it is down to 50% awareness, 30% luck and 20% Valentine V1.

From my colleagues (who all have to do the 24FPP fit and proper person process) a clean driving record is the exception rather than the rule. I wouldn't be too concerned. :-)