Sign in to follow this  
Cab

After some input on fitting race seats to E36 M3

Hey guys,

Shortly I'm going to be fitting race seats to my M3.

Regarding subframes, has anyone managed to find a direct fit to the existing bolt holes on the floor, or has fabrication been a must? I've been told you NEED to fabricate but surely not...

Has anyone used the NZKW subframe? Seems to be what I'm after.

http://www.nzkw.com/nzkw-bolt-on-seat-subframe-bmw-e3646-p-278.html

If somebody has done it an easy way could you let me know.

Cheers

Seats modification or replacement or installation of a seat anchorage after 1 March 1999

The seat is either an unmodified OE seat from another vehicle, or of a known and reputable aftermarket brand; and

• the seat is unmodified, and fitted to unmodified OE seat anchorages, and

• the seatbelt anchorage or operation is not affected; and

• the seat components (including brackets, runners and rails) are compatible with each other, ie they are either OE components from a production vehicle or of a known and reputable aftermarket brand, and are not fitted together by welding, and

• the relationship between seat, seat occupant, and location of the seatbelt anchorages is not affected.

Note: LVV certification is not required where the only modification is the removal of seats and/or seatbelts; however a class change and a new load rating may be required in some cases.

Copied from the LVVTA website. Seems to be if the seat is locally approved, and the rails require no modification to install then you're fine. As always though, best to speak to a certifier to confirm 100% what you can and cannot do with regards to specific aftermarket parts

Hey guys,

Shortly I'm going to be fitting race seats to my M3.

Regarding subframes, has anyone managed to find a direct fit to the existing bolt holes on the floor, or has fabrication been a must? I've been told you NEED to fabricate but surely not...

Has anyone used the NZKW subframe? Seems to be what I'm after.

http://www.nzkw.com/nzkw-bolt-on-seat-subframe-bmw-e3646-p-278.html

If somebody has done it an easy way could you let me know.

Cheers

I have just purchased 2 of the NZKW bases for my M3. They're sitting on the floor of my lounge if you want to come and have a look at them. I'm planning to test fit the passenger side one this weekend.

Edited by M3AN

Seats modification or replacement or installation of a seat anchorage after 1 March 1999

The seat is either an unmodified OE seat from another vehicle, or of a known and reputable aftermarket brand; and

• the seat is unmodified, and fitted to unmodified OE seat anchorages, and

• the seatbelt anchorage or operation is not affected; and

• the seat components (including brackets, runners and rails) are compatible with each other, ie they are either OE components from a production vehicle or of a known and reputable aftermarket brand, and are not fitted together by welding, and

• the relationship between seat, seat occupant, and location of the seatbelt anchorages is not affected.

Note: LVV certification is not required where the only modification is the removal of seats and/or seatbelts; however a class change and a new load rating may be required in some cases.

Copied from the LVVTA website. Seems to be if the seat is locally approved, and the rails require no modification to install then you're fine. As always though, best to speak to a certifier to confirm 100% what you can and cannot do with regards to specific aftermarket parts

Thanks for the info, good to know!

I have just purchased 2 of the NZKW bases for my M3. They're sitting on the floor of my lounge if you want to come and have a look at them. I'm planning to test fit the passenger side one this weekend.

Could be an idea cheers. I've been talking to HaNs and apparently Racetech seats along with their brackets are a direct bolt in without modification so will most likely head down this route.

And yes for all of you PM'ing me, my Vader interior will be for sale within the next few weeks, keep an eye out in the For Sale section.

Thanks for your help.

FYI, not racetech brackets. Other ones. Will show you when you come in

Yup i have the NZKW brackets and they fit well and you can then bolt your racetech brackets to them to mount the seats.

• Like 1

Yup i have the NZKW brackets and they fit well and you can then bolt your racetech brackets to them to mount the seats.

Awesome cheers. Turns out this might have to be my option.

Thanks

Ended up going with Racetech brackets and NZKW subframe. Worked easy.

post-17836-0-79085900-1458367175_thumb.jpost-17836-0-90948300-1458367176_thumb.jpost-17836-0-92422900-1458367177_thumb.j

• Like 1

Half cage and some nice door cards next?

Half cage and some nice door cards next?

Door cards yes but I will give my bank account a break for a while before a cage goes in there lol. Straight pipe, Sparco wheel, door cards for now

Nice! look the business. Black carpet and remove the rest of the grey interior next?

Nice! look the business. Black carpet and remove the rest of the grey interior next?

Yep I stripped the rest of the interior last night. So rear seats and cards out along with everything in the trunk. Im gonna keep the carpet and roof lining in there though, keep it semi luxurious you know