Sign in to follow this  
Golfboy666GTI

E30 M3 values?

I haven't seen an E30 M3 up for sale on TM for ages. What do you think they are worth in the NZ market?

I was suprised to hear that a 1987 year in grey done 254,000kms with a R (repair) Grade just sold in Japan for 3,345,000 yen, which equals $44,000NZD. Then add shipping, GST and compliance.

Does anyone know what of any E30 M3;s that have changed hand in NZ over the last 12 months?

Pretty sure they are north of $50k, probably well north now

Last one I know of was the RHD SE from Wellington, before that was the mint Auckland based SE that went off to the states.

SE is a whole different market from other E30 M3s though, and there again can be huge variations depending on what model, spec, colour, etc. That's before you even worry about age, kms and condition.

If you're in the right place at the right time there are "bargains" to be had, but that now is very much a relative term!

They get snapped up so fast over here. Everyone is all Hyped up over them. Every auto mag you read seems to have a "Best Drivers Car" article that features the E30 M3.

Everyone seems to think they will drive just like the DTM cars they remember seeing on TV.

The last one I seen on trade me early last year was 1987 Diamantschwarz 50K straight off the boat from Japan and had standard e30 rear seat and it sold quite quick, so that would be around the minimum price would be my estimate.

Seen one sold at auction in Japan recently for 42,000 usd and had xx on both front guards and bonnet indicating previous repair work, and from what I have seen of the prices 42k usd would be a good average of the auction price.

"tell him he's flamin' dreamin'!!"

4-5years ago .. normal clean / excellent conditions ones 38-45k here. Special versions (sport evo, europamiester, Frank Gardner RHD conversion specail etc) 80k+

I should have put one on the mortgage 4-5 years ago lol

• Like 2

15 years ago they were 4500-5000 pounds (STG) in Germany. I had plans to go and buy one in 2002, and register it in the UK. Sadly work dried up for me, I sold my e30 touring and returned to Niu Zild in Sept 2001. If I'd bought an e30 M3 as planned and brought it back, I'd be well made up!

Edited by Olaf

Hindsight is a wonderful thing...

I have seen the classic car market go through about three boom and bust cycles in just my lifetime.

E30 M3s should be driven, not stored up to appreciate. Garage queens are just about acceptable.

Prices won't be going down any time soon though, need another GFC and some fire sales.

When I picked up my E36 M3 14 years ago I could have purchased an E30 M3 for 20k less than I paid for mine... now they're worth what, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 times as much!

15 years ago they were 4500-5000 pounds (STG) in Germany. I had plans to go and buy one in 2002, and register it in the UK. Sadly work dried up for me, I sold my e30 touring and returned to Niu Zild in Sept 2001. If I'd bought an e30 M3 as planned and brought it back, I'd be well made up!

Even in 2005 $5k gbp seemed to be the norm for doer uppers. I tried for about 6 months to find a reasonable one but ran out of time ( needed to own one for 3 months before you could import a LHD) . Ironically an evolution (2.3) came up for sale for $11k GBP or around $27k NZ about 3 weeks before I came home. Too late for me to export it under rules of the time.