Sign in to follow this  
gjm

Clutch - general question

When pressing the clutch pedal, it goes almost to the floor before engaging and allowing a gear to be selected.

Possible causes that come to mind include bleed it, replace slave cylinder, and replace clutch.

Is any one solution more likely than another? The car has stood for some time.

Try bleeding it first

• Like 1

The car in question has been sitting for some time, and I'd anticipated moisture but it's (sadly) been a while since I've had to do any serious clutch work so felt it best to ask first.

Especially as a new, stock clutch (Sachs) for this car is over $1000 and is an absolute sod to fit.

Quantum of "some time" would help,

More than likely years. :)

Master and slave replace/ rebuild and fresh fluid - old fluid will be full of moisture, bores of cylinders corroded, and seals poked / leaking.

The master and slave can be replaced fairly easily, and when compared to the clutch itself, fairly cheaply.

I'm anticipating the same will go for the brakes, although they seemed OK.

The fuel system has already been cleaned and a fair amount of wiring sorted.

• Like 1

Pedantic response,

The clutch works the other way round;

It is engaged when the pedal is released- pushing the pedal separates the components and dis-engages the clutch

Common issues with clutches that have been inoperative for some time.

moisture build up in hydraulics,

air in hydraulics,

moisture in plate linings - causing swelling,

corrosion on driven surfaces and in friction linings.

All of the above can cause the symptoms you are describing,

refresh and bleed hydraulics - just bleeding only moves the contaminated fluid around,

drive it and dry out linings, scuff of corrosion,

check for fluid ​ leaks which can happen from piston/ cylinder corrosion due to moisture

Thanks Ron!

Yes i could have been more specific. I did mean (and probably should have specified) flush the system, that said - in bleeding a clutch pretty much flushes it anyway.

I was merely giving that as a likely starting point, not giving ALL the variables of the cause.

Also yes the clutch works the other way around - but that is a technicality is not really relevant to the question.

Curious to know what the car is?

I've got to keep it a bit quiet at the moment.

It's not something hugely exciting. Fun, and a bit different, but not especially exciting. It is about the same weight as an E30 318i coupe, and has maybe 10% more power.

My apologies for being a little vague in the first post.

heh heh, you're selling up to have less to move to the new place, but not giving up - good for you Graham! #8 )

• Like 1

heh heh, you're selling up to have less to move to the new place, but not giving up - good for you Graham! #8 )

I wish it were true... This is actually to help someone else.

Which is good, of course. :)

Not wishing to be contrary Grant but the comments were directed to the O.P ( not you) and in particular the comment about how the clutch works.

The better the quality of the question the greater likelihood of a good answer that is clearly understood and related to the question.

So framing the function of the clutch with the answer removes any ambiguity IMO and the OP is then able grasp the full logic of the reply.

Curious to know what the car is?

Thanks Ron for the explanation. Sorry I mistook that you were referring to "my response". Having reread - i see the way you were referring to your "pedantic" explanation of correcting the actual operation of a clutch. An often misunderstood operation of.