Sign in to follow this  
M M

E28 535E M30B35 Swap

My e28 is soon to be getting a M30B35. As most of you will have seen, I got a donor e34 with a good M30 and manual gearbox that's done 170,000 kms which will be going in. Engine, gearbox etc came out of the e34 over the weekend.

Have been collecting parts over the last couple of weeks including Mtech rear spoiler, arches, and parts to repair some damage on the front from getting hit (working with the guy's insurance to sort it). Also just installed AP springs about a week ago.

The car as it is now:

23984970860_e83aef9348_b.jpg

24172404172_64326cbd89_b.jpg

24113914820_8702ab1c07_b.jpg

16307148994_94678599f0_b.jpg

Some of the damage:

25126657712_4d0be75693_b.jpg

25218647936_50805b0c34_b.jpg

I'm pretty rubbish at build threads but I'll do my best to update as I go for those interested. Hoping to have the swap done by the end of April.

Edited by M M
  • Like 6

Did the car have AP springs in it when you brought it to the meet? I remember it had a nice stance to it then.

That interior! So nice. The cloth ones are still pretty comfortable though

How are you dealing with mounting the engine? The bolt holes aren't on the block for the e28 arms/mounts.

Did the car have AP springs in it when you brought it to the meet? I remember it had a nice stance to it then.

No, that had my old suspension. It sits pretty much the same now, maybe marginally higher by a few millimeters.

How are you dealing with mounting the engine? The bolt holes aren't on the block for the e28 arms/mounts.

I'm going to make adapter plates and use E28 M30 brackets which I have.

Proof that this is happening:

25939999776_4f345ba149_b.jpg

Some other cool stuff that's going on:

25333202834_089aa3a1c7_b.jpg

25845100742_97418f41e6_b.jpg

Edited by M M
  • Like 3

Looks awesome Mateja, watching with interest. :)

How did you find all those goodies, leather sports seats, flares, premium speakers? (In saying that I found a whole car of goodies)

Looks awesome Mateja, watching with interest. :)

Thanks Ben.

Bruh

Cuz

How did you find all those goodies, leather sports seats, flares, premium speakers? (In saying that I found a whole car of goodies)

Haha, a friend of mine asked me that exact question the other day. I have no idea, I've just been lucky to be at the right place at the right time and find them or get offered them. Same thing happened with my Mk2 Golf.

Parcel tray painted black and installed:

25364183884_f8c4b59d54_b.jpg

25970974726_3d25d2e02f_b.jpg

My Mtech spoiler arrived today but the seller didn't package it properly so one end of it got damaged. It's fiberglass so it can be fixed but I'm not happy so I've contacted him.

sorry to hear about the spoiler.

but damn that parcel tray! can wait to see it once its complete. going to be an amazing machine and no doubt you will be happy with the m30b35. i loved mine when i had the e34

sorry to hear about the spoiler.

but damn that parcel tray! can wait to see it once its complete. going to be an amazing machine and no doubt you will be happy with the m30b35. i loved mine when i had the e34

Thanks man.

Cant wait to see it with all your goodies put on. Very nice piece of machinery.

Cant wait to see it with all your goodies put on. Very nice piece of machinery.

Thank you.

Made my engine mount adapters today. Used 12mm steel, might be overkill a little but when I'm dragging off Evos and Skylines the last thing I want to be worrying about is the engine falling out under the car, haha. Would love to leave them this finish but they will rust so I am coating them.

26038996465_f1567658e1_b.jpg

Also began repairing my spoiler. Got a partial refund from the seller which we agreed on. He was super good to deal with so I'm happy.

The damage:

25766150730_c1756d12f3_b.jpg

25436465693_366d048acc_b.jpg

In repair:

25436464783_4e696e3d66_b.jpg

More updates to come. Hoping to paint my valve cover and intake manifold tomorrow.

Edited by M M
  • Like 2

Intake and valve cover ready.

25484498863_ca3fe34f0d_b.jpg

26087081645_78b84b8611_b.jpg

26020739891_d98f216c29_b.jpg

Also finished sanding the spoiler but didn't get any photos. Will get some later when I do paint. Swap should be starting in 2 weeks, as soon as my last few bits arrive.

• Like 4

Black wrinkle looks to be on point!

Thanks.

Got the spoiler on.

26111831632_36a4cf3be9_b.jpg

25931413220_1c991250fa_b.jpg

Also got my LSD.

25931427430_1ecc98c07c_b.jpg

Engine is coming out next weekend so should have some updates that actually relate to the swap then.

• Like 5

what is the LSD from?

E28. It's a 3.07 large case.

Car looks neat. MK2 Golf and E28, good car garage in the 80's, still is today.

Edited by Allycat
  • Like 1

E28. It's a 3.07 large case.

Nice lazy ratio. Ended up with a 3.73 med case in the e30, will be interesting to compare.

Car looks neat. MK2 Golf and E28, good car garage in the 80's, still is today.

Thanks. Mk2 is for sale now though.

Nice lazy ratio. Ended up with a 3.73 med case in the e30, will be interesting to compare.

It will be. I initally wanted a higher ratio but considering this was LSD and the price I got it for I couldn't say no. Should work well if I boost the motor which is very likely.

Edited by M M

Made great progress today.

25717812293_0b7408f72a_b.jpg

25717813413_0b418c4046_b.jpg

26047719380_316081d8ca_b.jpg

Started at around 10am, by 1pm the engine, gearbox, driveshaft, diff and exhaust were out. By the end of the day I also removed the rear subframe, control arms and complete hubs. Almost got the steering box off but I gave up and went home before I got it fully off.

Tomorrow the plan is to change out the rear subframe bushes and put it back in along with the e34 trailing arms, hubs and brakes plus do whatever else I can. At this rate I'm starting to think there is a possibility it will be going by next weekend.

Big thanks to my friend Gancen who, depsite being sick, was up and onsite at 8am to give me a hand to pull the motor. What a champ.

By the way, the eta motor, gearbox and diff are for sale for those interested.

Edited by M M
  • Like 3

Not much in the way of actual progress despite most of Sunday spent on the car and 5 hours last night.

So on Sunday, 2 hours were spent on removing the old rear subframe bushes which we finally managed after a lot of sawing, hammering and verbal threats. Thank you to Jibs and my friend Johnny for the help. The new ones just slid in thanks to my forward thinking and my friend's commercial fish freezer which I left them in overnight.

So with that done and rear subframe back in, I went to fit the e34 trailing arms which apparently 'would' work. Well. After having to do a bit of clearance making on the rear subframe seam lip to get the bigger arms to fit, I finally bolted up the arms and all looked well. Until I walked out from under the car and had a look at the side.

26102904110_b9b33be34d_b.jpg

26375733645_a08921f920_b.jpg

Behold before you, maximum stance. There was a good 10mm difference in toe just from the edges of the hub. That is where I left it for the day. And, in the process of all this, one of my e28 handbrake cables somehow got mangled so now I have to wait for the new ones to arrive.

Went back yesterday and removed the e34 hubs to swaps the e28 ones back on and pulled the brakes off the e34 ones to now put on the e28 hub. And in the process of removing the slightly seized on discs, I sent the hammer right into my knee and am now very sore. But I carried on.

Once that was done, I proceeded to remove the steering box, with the help of my still sick friend (the guy just won't give up), to replace with the lower mileage e34 box with again 'would' work. Well.

Got the steering box off after a good hour of hammering only to realise that the idler arm spline is different. Ok, not such a big deal. I put the steering box in the car to mock up the lines as one has to bent for it to work. Well it's a pretty slim chance of stretching the line to get it to fit, and being the high pressure line, I didn't want to take any risk. So swapped the newer e34 uni joint onto the e28 box and put it back in. Another few hours wasted. And the steering box is probably screwed now.

At least I managed to cut a big hole in the front, which was some consolation.

26102905110_e7ccfacc39_b.jpg

But that is also bitter sweet as the e34 radiator I wanted to try and use fit perfectly width wise. Then I looked at the car from the front. 50mm too tall. Luckily the radiator that came out of the parts car does fit so it is a backup.

Moral of the story: E34 trailing arms do NOT work (on early subframe). E34 steering box is not a bolt in upgrade/solution.

Edited by M M
  • Like 1

Hmm strange. Everything I have read says the arms should fit.

You're more than welcome to grab my subframe and compare it to yours. I also have two sets of late arms here if you want to plaY also

The rear of my 85 is quite different to my 86. Maybe they only work on later cars?