Sign in to follow this  
M M

E28 535E M30B35 Swap

I'm loving the flashing light

It's red now to resemble and old police light.

Good stuff Mateja. Intake looks better :D

Yeah, thanks.

Unfortunately, something in the clutch system just failed on me. Went for a short drive to pick something up, halfway home, no clutch. Won't get a chance to investigate until the weekend probably.

So I believe the throw out bearing seized, then probably collapsed, this causing no clutch at all when the pedal is pressed. Still engages if you put the car in gear with the engine off. So it looks like gearbox will be coming off, a bit annoying after just finishing the work but it's partially my fault for not doing the clutch while it was all out. I was trying to save some money!

I'm now in the process of finding a single mass flywheel and clutch kit. Picked up a flywheel yesterday but it turns out that one is not ideal as it's essentially a remake of a dual mass in single mass form, if that makes sense. Hopefully the other one I've been offered will be the one I'm looking for. No one in NZ has any clutch kits for this anywhere, cheapest I have found is a LUK on ebay which will be around $550 including delivery and import tax. Includes spigot bearing and throw out bearing so not too bad. Ironic really as the one time I wanted to actually buy something locally, no one can help.

Might pull the gearbox off next week since the car is just sitting now anyway.

• Like 1

So I believe the throw out bearing seized, then probably collapsed, this causing no clutch at all when the pedal is pressed. Still engages if you put the car in gear with the engine off. So it looks like gearbox will be coming off, a bit annoying after just finishing the work but it's partially my fault for not doing the clutch while it was all out. I was trying to save some money!

I'm now in the process of finding a single mass flywheel and clutch kit. Picked up a flywheel yesterday but it turns out that one is not ideal as it's essentially a remake of a dual mass in single mass form, if that makes sense. Hopefully the other one I've been offered will be the one I'm looking for. No one in NZ has any clutch kits for this anywhere, cheapest I have found is a LUK on ebay which will be around $550 including delivery and import tax. Includes spigot bearing and throw out bearing so not too bad. Ironic really as the one time I wanted to actually buy something locally, no one can help.

Might pull the gearbox off next week since the car is just sitting now anyway.

Pm your details about the clutch kit you want, will be able to help

Pm your details about the clutch kit you want, will be able to help

PM sent, thanks man.

Today I made good use of nothing to do and pulled the gearbox off to see what disaster awaited me. What I came upon wasn't pleasant. Those with weak stomachs dare not read on.

This is what fell out as I separated the gearbox from the block:

26630137780_ff2e2bf210_b.jpg

The remains in the bellhousing:

26297625644_847292571a_b.jpg

Then I went back under the car to have a look at the pressure plate and remove that behemoth of an assembly. This is what awaited:

26809393902_7ea53fdaba_b.jpg

I was not expecting that, and can't say I've seen that before. It must have been one hell of a party in there (which I funded by the way).

The total sum of the destruction:

26297630294_306e2d65b1_b.jpg

Luckily no damage was done to any other parts so I can just put on the new flywheel and clutch kit and hopefully carry on with skids.

I don't like to end on a down note, so here is a stance picture:

26298882513_c664eb1dc8_b.jpg

Phwoar.

Edited by M M
  • Like 4

That'll do it! At least you know what the problem was :P

Haha, that's one way of looking at it.

• Like 1

While the car is not going I figured it would be a good time to replace the heater core and redo the foam flaps in the heater box.

Removed the heater box yesterday. Only took about 2 hours. Not sure why so many people make this out to be such a big deal. And I've never done it before on one of these.

26984021036_39dde5f463_b.jpg

There's nothing I hate more than messy wiring, so that's all getting tidied up too.

The inside of the heater box as it came out:

26413878893_cafb542cf6_b.jpg

New foam flaps and heater core:

26413877003_159a612410_b.jpg

26949316301_b02dda0d62_b.jpg

I put it all back together and back in the car this morning. No photo as I'm sure most of you know what a complete interior looks like.

I've also removed the AC part of the heater box and sealed up the AC flap. Because who needs that? Just slows you down. All the rest of the AC system has already been removed. Look at the size of the thing:

26949312941_c472c0121e_b.jpg

Edited by M M
  • Like 3

Last weekend I picked up this slammin' parts car.

26647804903_72922765f3_b.jpg

26888630100_28b7d1ec32_b.jpg

Beneath the rough spots it is actually a decent car with minimal rust, and it has a full black interior including leather. So most of that including the carpet will be going into mine. I will be keeping my Mtech seats however.

Yesterday I started fitting my M5 replica front lip.

Test fit:

27253273305_25af39840c_b.jpg

Paint:

26977916110_0922c9c83a_b.jpg

On:

26646500514_35183d242d_b.jpg

27158649272_abbcaee9a7_b.jpg

26649115534_aa850fb268_b.jpg

I also swapped the good fender from the parts car onto mine. It's actually in better condition than the last one was before the hit and the color matches close enough for now. Nevermind the sagging bumper, I will be putting my new one on shortly too.

Started cleaning up some of the black interior parts from the parts car to go into mine:

27219521846_2ae065d60d_b.jpg

I'm going to be fitting the non AC center console from the parts car, just need to make a panel to fit my radio and I'm going to incorporate a space for some gauges while I'm at it:

27158637532_31e908652e_b.jpg

Also this arrived today:

26977894790_666b70fda2_b.jpg

After a very long and tiresome search, I should have a single mass flywheel in the next couple days. So with any luck, the car will be going again by next week. Then I can cruise around and show off all my nice new parts.

• Like 2

good work

that 525e used to be owned by my mates father , they built it up using a rolling shell brought from ray and running gear from a

dereged car ,

he said the guy who he sold it to would be the last owner of it

was a tidy car then

have a factory radio mount setup for that console.

oh and I think I found a m30 flywheel today :(

good work

that 525e used to be owned by my mates father , they built it up using a rolling shell brought from ray and running gear from a

dereged car ,

he said the guy who he sold it to would be the last owner of it

was a tidy car then

have a factory radio mount setup for that console.

oh and I think I found a m30 flywheel today :(

Interesting. It's a shame really, if it wasn't deregistered I'd be saving it. I'll be in contact with you about the radio mount, that would be handy. If for some reason this flywheel falls through, I'll let you know.

That's been pretty significantly lightened

And that's fine by me.

Edit: Looking at pictures online it looks the same as an M5 one.

26728137634_d1a1a23279.jpg

Edited by M M
  • Like 1

And that's fine by me.

Edit: Looking at pictures online it looks the same as an M5 one.

26728137634_d1a1a23279.jpg

What does it weigh?

Not sure, realised just after I put it in that I should have weighed it. Nevermind.

Anyhow, finally the car is going again.

After spending a couple of hours on Sunday morning rolling around on the wet ground trying to get it done, I had it about 90% finished but couldn't get it done as the previous day a friend of mine was over and was kind enough to push the clutch pedal, dislodging the piston from the slave cylinder. I didn't realise this and spent a good 45 minutes in a lake trying to put it back in, with the rod not budging, only to realise what was going on. Luckily, my good friend Ben came to the rescue that night with a replacement one which I went to pick up. Yesterday afternoon I got back to it and got it back together. The improvement with this flywheel is drastic. I almost couldn't believe what a difference it made, but then it does make sense. The car takes off so much faster than it did before. Anybody with an M30, if you want your car to go faster, I seriously suggest you track down a single mass flywheel, no matter the cost. It's well worth it.

Over the next couple of days I have a few small jobs to do on it like replace the front bumper and some small engine related stuff. I'm just glad it's going.

27017776770_62ae166cfb_b.jpg

Edited by M M
  • Like 2

Do you find that with the lighter flywheel, its also louder?

Didn't really notice that on the short drive I did last night. But my interior is not fully back together yet so it's not a fair test. I'll report back later once I spend some time driving it.

Not sure, realised just after I put it in that I should have weighed it. Nevermind.

Anyhow, finally the car is going again.

After spending a couple of hours on Sunday morning rolling around on the wet ground trying to get it done, I had it about 90% finished but couldn't get it done as the previous day a friend of mine was over and was kind enough to push the clutch pedal, dislodging the piston from the slave cylinder. I didn't realise this and spent a good 45 minutes in a lake trying to put it back in, with the rod not budging, only to realise what was going on. Luckily, my good friend Ben came to the rescue that night with a replacement one which I went to pick up. Yesterday afternoon I got back to it and got it back together. The improvement with this flywheel is drastic. I almost couldn't believe what a difference it made, but then it does make sense. The car takes off so much faster than it did before. Anybody with an M30, if you want your car to go faster, I seriously suggest you track down a single mass flywheel, no matter the cost. It's well worth it.

Over the next couple of days I have a few small jobs to do on it like replace the front bumper and some small engine related stuff. I'm just glad it's going.

27017776770_62ae166cfb_b.jpg

Happy to help, sir. Glad it's back on the road. :D

• Like 1

After months of the car sitting and months of me being away, on Sunday I finally managed to find the issue. A factory ground wire where the coil negative (which goes to the ecu, the ecu grounds it to create spark) joins up and splits of to go to the ecu and to the diagnostic connector has a ground wire from factory at the split off, grounding it. So this means the coil is constantly grounded, and was causing a short. I have no idea why it's done like this and how the car was running before, but as soon as we cut the wire the car fired right up. I checked my other wiring harness and it had the same thing. And now with my new ECU, everything is working including the fuel pump relay and ICV. Even fixed the slight miss it had.

Drove the car home on Sunday night, yesterday afternoon the v-belt for the waterpump and alternator snapped. Luckily I noticed something was going on and pulled into a side street. Opened the hood to find the snapped belt (which looked to have also flipped beforehand) sitting there. So called up a friend who arranged one to get to me and I changed it then and there. While waiting I took the opportunity to take some new photos. Should have some more updates for this car coming up soon.

31753393335_3606684349_b.jpg
31637270921_dde4171b5d_b.jpg
31753392045_2e285edbbc_b.jpg
31753392795_ca471c29d4_b.jpg

• Like 4

11 hours ago, eliongater said:

Is your roof a different colour..?

Yeah, the previous owner put matte black vinyl on it.

Unfortunately they are actually a bit too small for me, I'm too tall, so I would consider parting with them if a good enough offer was made.