Sign in to follow this  
M M

E28 535E M30B35 Swap

Just curious since im going to go look for m30b35, what kind of drive shaft i need since i know neither e34 will work nor m20 one. So do i need somekind of custom made shaft or can i make one myself ?

17 hours ago, Kuutio said:

Just curious since im going to go look for m30b35, what kind of drive shaft i need since i know neither e34 will work nor m20 one. So do i need somekind of custom made shaft or can i make one myself ?

Assuming you're meaning for putting one in an E28, just a standard manual 535i driveshaft.

On 9/9/2017 at 1:09 AM, Kuutio said:

Yes either a standard M30 e28 to match the gearbox you are using (either 260 or 265), or a custom made one. I got mine made from my e28 one and front half of the e34 one.

My whole 260 manual conversion will be for sale soon in case you are interested as I got hold of a 265 and e28 driveshaft. Check the for sale section.

@M M Could you please take a photo comparing the driveshafts, gearboxes and shifters? I've got various manual parts, I think I have a complete 265 kit.

Good score on finding a complete 265 kit though.

15 hours ago, eliongater said:

@M M Could you please take a photo comparing the driveshafts, gearboxes and shifters? I've got various manual parts, I think I have a complete 265 kit.

Good score on finding a complete 265 kit though.

I will do in a couple weeks time. Currently my leg is in a cast so not quite able to right now. If it's any help the shifter on the 265 is sheet metal as opposed to the 260 which is the aluminium rod type one.

Also this hasn't been updated in a long while but a lot has happened on this car since my last post. They say pictures say a thousand words so here goes.

36430541754_d72229f8b0_z.jpg

36430545104_8c90d1cbb9_h.jpg

36430550734_97d47c7a79_h.jpg

37125861401_a308d8082e_h.jpg

36430549994_100d389e41_h.jpg

37268458075_2bccace7b5_z.jpg

37268455865_af78a7a3ec_h.jpg

37095831462_d78ef4bda8_h.jpg

36453838713_522f25902f_h.jpg

36453838833_6d5abccf8e_b.jpg

37268612545_69109ff463_h.jpg

Full coilovers front and rear. They still need some work, I need shorter springs to go as low as I'd like and keep the helpers. Currently the fronts are wound all the way down. Not looking to lay frame but a touch lower would be nice.

The wheels are Remotec 16x8s, fully polished and painted by myself. The centers I did by doing a black base coat and then dusting silver over to do a shadow chrome type effect. The clear coat kind of messed up the silver and they came out darker than I wanted but fine for now. It's never perfect.

I also got a new body which will be getting painted and everything will be swapped over which I hope do have done well before the end of the year.

Edited by M M
  • Like 5

Nice, cars looking great! I'm amazed by all the goodies you find.

On 9/17/2017 at 10:09 AM, M M said:

Currently my leg is in a cast so not quite able to right now. 

Ah so thats why I haven't seen you about haha :rolleyes: 

8 hours ago, musccoo said:

Ah so thats why I haven't seen you about haha :rolleyes: 

Haha yep. Been on house arrest for a while and a while still to go.

Forgot that i posted here, but thanks for the answer! Also kind of dumb question but i will be trying to fit e34 brakes etc with e34 535i abs pump but tell for my dumb brain what i need since atm i think i need the abs pump, abs control box, wiring for abs sensors and sensors itself. Yes, i could just buy e28 ones but i like to go the hard way :) also if someone knows how to use google could snap me either some thread or wiring stuff for me and sorry since this kind of doesnt belong to this forum :)

Edited by Kuutio

37 minutes ago, Kuutio said:

Forgot that i posted here, but thanks for the answer! Also kind of dumb question but i will be trying to fit e34 brakes etc with e34 535i abs pump but tell for my dumb brain what i need since atm i think i need the abs pump, abs control box, wiring for abs sensors and sensors itself. Yes, i could just buy e28 ones but i like to go the hard way :) also if someone knows how to use google could snap me either some thread or wiring stuff for me and sorry since this kind of doesnt belong to this forum :)

Sorry man but I have no idea about ABS. However I can tell you that e34 brakes are a bolt on upgrade to E28.

59 minutes ago, M M said:

Sorry man but I have no idea about ABS. However I can tell you that e34 brakes are a bolt on upgrade to E28.

Thats what i thought. Anyway i have full e34 suspension etc in one corner :) the reason for the abs conversion is cause of our mot or whatever it is in english :) i think i cant get it registered with m30b35 without abs.

Edited by Kuutio
  • Like 1

Just now, Kuutio said:

Thats what i thought. Anyway i have full e34 suspension etc in one corner :) the reason for the abs conversion is cause of our mot or whatever it is in english :) i think i cant get it registered with m30b35 without abs.

Ah right. I would imagine if you just swap everything over it should work but again, I have no experience with it. Can you just get friendly with an inspector?

@Kuutio start a new thread, probably in project questions, and mention myself and M M (type @ and the start of our username). Then list all of your questions and what you're trying to achieve. Purely so we don't clutter this thread. :)

22 hours ago, M M said:

Ah right. I would imagine if you just swap everything over it should work but again, I have no experience with it. Can you just get friendly with an inspector?

Not in my town haha :D also i was kind of surprised how clean this topic was so i wont make it much more dirty now :) but yeah, it will take some time until i get to put these pieces in to my e28 since it still needs litle welding etc.

Haha, yeah. I forgot to screw it in before the races.

I can't remember exactly but I think fastest time was 16.3. I have to find the slip. However since then I have changed the TPS and AFM and got a noticeable improvement, so should hopefully get 15s. Next drag day I will be attending will be in Decemeber.

Edited by M M

Sweet. A good launch with traction will be the key, less revs is often more on that slippery strip 

What size tyres/wheels are you running?

I'm planning on swapping gearboxes next weekend so I'll do it then.

• Like 1

38194046951_2de0a7bf41_h.jpg

Getrag 265 is in.

On 10/27/2017 at 3:46 PM, eliongater said:

@M M any luck with the driveshaft measurements?

Here are the measurements and a comparison photos. All the difference is in the front half of the shaft.

26417122539_8d4e54766d_h.jpg

26417113879_afebe51b17_z.jpg

260:

38137979466_430ba6ca78_b.jpg

265:

26417114469_7a9fc9fb92_b.jpg

• Like 1