Sign in to follow this  
M M

E28 535E M30B35 Swap

Went to a drag day over the weekend. Finished second in DYO, broke out in the final by 0.6 of a second. Car was running super consistent, I just need to sort an over heating issue when the car is not moving. It starts getting hot when sitting in line and especially during burnout, but once moving it cools back down. Might need a better fan. Set the fastest time so far, 15.75. Not bad I think for a stock M30B35 with 3.07 diff.

27189221579_09b61ddc6d_b.jpg

38967042571_062329f3e5_b.jpg

Edited by M M
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, M M said:

Went to a drag day over the weekend. Finished second in DYO, broke out in the final by 0.6 of a second. Car was running super consistent, I just need to sort an over heating issue when the car is not moving. It starts getting hot when sitting in line and especially during burnout, but once moving it cools back down. Might need a better fan. Set the fastest time so far, 15.75. Not bad I think for a stock M30B35 with 3.07 diff.

27189221579_09b61ddc6d_b.jpg

38967042571_062329f3e5_b.jpg

good work , yea replace the viscous with a good used or new one . also has your car got the AUX fan there for the a/c ?? if so change the the temp switch in the radiator to a e36 318ti 318is type that switches it on earlier , so if it gets to 1min past 12oclock it switches on

1 hour ago, BM WORLD said:

good work , yea replace the viscous with a good used or new one . also has your car got the AUX fan there for the a/c ?? if so change the the temp switch in the radiator to a e36 318ti 318is type that switches it on earlier , so if it gets to 1min past 12oclock it switches on

It's an aftermarket electric fan using the E36 fan switch wired to the earlier switch on one. I think it's just not strong enough to cool efficiently. Might be able to squeeze one size larger in.

Also your old silver E28 with M88 was there, he was doing high 14s. I reckon he could have gotten more but wasn't pushing it too hard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, M M said:

It's an aftermarket electric fan using the E36 fan switch wired to the earlier switch on one. I think it's just not strong enough to cool efficiently. Might be able to squeeze one size larger in.

Also your old silver E28 with M88 was there, he was doing high 14s. I reckon he could have gotten more but wasn't pushing it too hard.

ah ok , yea most aftermarket fans are rubbish , just use a factory e28 or e34 aux fan they move heaps of air

I ran the factory fan blade and viscous on the silver car , with the factory aux fan wired on the e46 fan switch was fine .

also yea I think when I 1st switch the m88 in the e28 years back was doing low 15's with the 3.07 diff and old basic tyres .

but never ran it again at the drags

but did do a rough 0-100kmh in the car just before it sold and was in the low 5sec range but there was more to be had if it was on a proper road surface and tyres where a bit warmer etc  not bad for a old square tank

Edited by BM WORLD
  • Like 1

+1 for an e38 fan.  Have one in my turbo e30 keeps things under control nicely, also put one in my e21 for the short time I had it and was mint.  Like 20 bucks at zebra haha

54 minutes ago, musccoo said:

+1 for an e38 fan.  Have one in my turbo e30 keeps things under control nicely, also put one in my e21 for the short time I had it and was mint.  Like 20 bucks at zebra haha

sorry ment e28 aux fan , but yes e39 e38 ones will move plenty of air but require more mods to fit etc

Cool I'll make a trip to Zebra and see what I can find. If I can sort this out then you'll see some good burnouts next time.

Edited by M M
  • Like 1

Maybe, I didn't find it bad, just hack the plastic shroud thingy til it sits nice and drill some misc holes, heres pic from my 21

Make sure to test it at the yard tho, cause they can often not work..

32112913974_a25bd0d517_k.jpg

Edited by musccoo

On 12/12/2017 at 8:21 AM, M M said:

Cool I'll make a trip to Zebra and see what I can find. If I can sort this out then you'll see some good burnouts next time.

I have a couple if you need one