Sign in to follow this  
M M

E28 535E M30B35 Swap

This came out of a 4 cylinder one, not sure what the difference is size is. I just went with a tape measure to Upick and found one that fit.

• Like 1

Haha sweet, ill probably have to do the same fairly soon

Haha sweet, ill probably have to do the same fairly soon

you should use a e28 528i 525i 535i type large one
  • Like 1

I apologise for the lack of updates over the last few days, I've been busy working on the car. It is now all physically back together, drivetrain, exhaust, brakes, engine etc all done. All coolant hoses etc are hooked up. I have also relocated the battery to the trunk using e36 parts.

Tonight and over the weekend I will be doing the last few small jobs and doing the wiring. The plan to have it driving by the end of the weekend looks very realistic. More to come soon.

25958610464_dcb634ff95_b.jpg

Edited by M M
  • Like 7

I apologise for the lack of updates over the last few days, I've been busy working on the car. It is now all physically back together, drivetrain, exhaust, brakes, engine etc all done. All coolant hoses etc are hooked up. I have also relocated the battery to the trunk using e36 parts.

Tonight and over the weekend I will be doing the last few small jobs and doing the wiring. The plan to have it driving by the end of the weekend looks very realistic. More to come soon.

25958610464_dcb634ff95_b.jpg

Nice - I should bring the e30 round for a visit.

Nice - I should bring the e30 round for a visit.

Definitely man, do so. Just send me a text message.

Really liking this car, hah let me know how you get on with wiring, that's where im stuck on the rusta

Really liking this car, hah let me know how you get on with wiring, that's where im stuck on the rusta

Will do man. Shouldn't be a big issue on this car.

Wiring pretty much all done, also made a mount for the e36 power distribution block in the engine bay.

However, I have a question. Can anyone tell me where the wires circled in the picture go? I am fairly sure they are grounds but would be good to know for sure. The ones on the end of that loom are for the coil.

26480812812_75b76ab6fa_b.jpg

• Like 1

your car is looking sh*t-hot, man. looking forward to reading your reports of on-roaded-ness.

• Like 1

Got the car started today. My friend has the first start video so will post when I have that off him.

All that's left to do is:

Bleed clutch and brakes

Hook up one final coolant hose I forgot to do

Wire in electric fan

I'm planning to drive it home tomorrow, will try get some videos of it driving.

She's back on the road.

Had a few small issues today while getting it going. The rear calipers that I put on from the e34 were actually seized so I had to swap the e28 ones back on. While not a big deal, it's something I want to get sorted so will look for other e34 ones later. Might be luck to get some vented ones.

Other than that, everything was pretty straight forward. I had to make a temporary bracket for the accelerator cable as the e34 sleeve is not quite right so didn't reach with the factory mount. So I will try to find a cable that does work.

26564345601_229af6a2b6_b.jpg

26026200333_26fa67537f_b.jpg

26564348751_ca765705e6_b.jpg

Next jobs will be tidying up the wiring and finishing that off and wiring the fan in. Also need to install my new cluster. Also going to order a new heater core and redo flaps as I currently get no hot air. Does anyone know if they are RHD and LHD specific? Can't find any information on this.

Overall I am very happy with it, goes so much better then the eta ever dreamed of. It has a slight miss and a bit of a bog on take off, I think this motor needs a proper service such as new plugs etc. But even with this it goes very well. And does mean as burnouts.

And that concludes this weeks episode: How to do an M30 swap in 2 weeks (and a day if you want to be picky).

Up next: Conclusion is an illusion; nothing's ever 100% finished. Also might have a special live appearance from Highway Patrol.

They grow up so fast.

26629865405_12a1528801_b.jpg

• Like 7

Nice hot air intake :P

What e34 where your calipers from (I'm assuming the 535i)? Cause depending on what ones I have floating around in the back of m535i (don't ask, it's a mess of parts inside) I'll most likely have some spare e34 535i brakes.

Nice hot air intake :P

What e34 where your calipers from (I'm assuming the 535i)? Cause depending on what ones I have floating around in the back of m535i (don't ask, it's a mess of parts inside) I'll most likely have some spare e34 535i brakes.

Haha, yes the hot air intake will be sorted soon too.

They were the 535i rears. I'll measure the discs so I can tell you what size. I may know of a v8 e34 coming up for parts so will go have a look, it might have the better brake option.

Haha, yes the hot air intake will be sorted soon too.

They were the 535i rears. I'll measure the discs so I can tell you what size. I may know of a v8 e34 coming up for parts so will go have a look, it might have the better brake option.

540i is better and 750i, 850csi and m5 are better again. You might need 17" rims though ;)

http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2137

Edited by eliongater

Looking forward to seeing this in person at the next Auckland meet.

Saw this on the weekend. Coming along nicely. You certainly know how to get things done :)

Looking forward to seeing this in person at the next Auckland meet.

Definitely will be there.

Awesome effort mate.

Thank you.

Saw this on the weekend. Coming along nicely. You certainly know how to get things done :)

Thanks man and thanks for your help as well.

• Like 1

First start video:

Edited by M M
  • Like 2

I've been finishing off the last few jobs over the last couple of days. Most of the wiring is now tidied up. The electric fan is wired in and I got it working on the factory radiator switch.

26673426216_95807bf8e2_b.jpg

26673425796_b315f00b79_b.jpg

It's still not quite as tidy as I'd like but it will do for now. I also have a few small issues to sort. One being that the car doesn't really idle. It keeps dying if you let off the gas when coming to a stop and when I unplug the ICV, nothing changes. I think when it was in the e34, the throttle cable was just adjusted to not return the throttle fully, keeping it idling. I have also done this for now as a temporary solution until I figure out what's going on. I also have my suspicions that the TPS is not working. I get no readings on any of the pins and any point, so might swap it out for my one on the Eta which was new.

My other issue is 2 days ago the car wouldn't start without being jump started by another car. I charged the battery and my jumper pack but it only worked for the first 2 starts and then didn't again, and my jumper pack can't jump it either. I have a feeling my ground for the battery isn't good enough, will investigate this tonight. It kind of renders the car useless if I need another to go along with me everywhere, hahaha.

• Like 1

Been fiddling with the e28 over the last few days to try and sort out the little things.

Firstly trying to sort the idle and TPS. Thinking that the TPS may not be working, I took the one from my eta motor and swapped that on. Didn't test drive it and went straight to the meet on Sunday, then to a friend's after. The car didn't feel quite right and then after driving for a bit when I hit WOT it would cut out completely. Then it just started randomly cutting out. Turns out that the ETA TPS actually reads the opposite way, so when I was hitting WOT it would register idle and obviously cut out. Then I did some retesting and it seems that the original TPS does infact register idle, it's just that the stopper on the throttle body was adjusted to the max (to compensate for the ICV), that even with the TPS adjusted all the way, it wouldn't click to idle mode. Anyway, that one is back in now and car runs much better, but I still suspect that it doesn't register WOT, due to the fact that one, it get no ohm reading between the two pins, and when driving it doesn't quite feel like it.

Secondly I discovered that the issue is not actually the ICV itself (thanks to Ben for testing it) but that all the pins are getting positive power. I don't imagine this is meant to be happening so there may be a wiring issue. Investigations to follow.

Another issue that just came up last night after driving a bit is the clutch pedal started to get vibrations. Then, coincidentally after I gave a friend to test drive it, a terribly loud squealing noise started coming from the clutch area. It only happens when the clutch is being depressed. But now the vibrations seem to be gone. I suspect this is the throwout bearing. And I can't blame my friend, I was with him in the car and he didn't do anything I wouldn't have. Haha.

Also, today I went from a hot air intake to a warm air intake. I will find a better solution later but it's better than before.

26492618960_54bb84488b_b.jpg

Now, for some memorable moments from the swap:

Ben wasn't a big fan of my radiator fan. Hahaha ha. Ha.

26492616520_985511a125_b.jpg

Some late night shenanigans.

Edited by M M
  • Like 2

I'm loving the flashing light

Good stuff Mateja. Intake looks better :D